Ovechkin not in the top 50 in goalscoring

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
He's #7 All-Time, I don't think he cares too much about a single season's "Top 50", especially since he's Top 10 Period. The last few seasons are trash given with how COVID has f-k things up, has to throw them off and even with Ovi on the decline, I don't think there are too many teams that would ante up to acquire him.

tmunnuch

Jan 23, 2007
He got rid of his beard? We all know beardless Ovechkin just doesn't score as much. Not a surprise here.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
He's #7 All-Time, I don't think he cares too much about a single season's "Top 50", especially since he's Top 10 Period. The last few seasons are trash given with how COVID has f-k things up, has to throw them off and even with Ovi on the decline, I don't think there are too many teams that would ante up to acquire him.
I doubt many teams would sell the farm for him at this point but a team that is a contender might give up some good assets to get him for a few seasons. I think he probably has about 3 or 4 good seasons in him left. And yes...the last two seasons have been strange and are possibly throwing quite a few star players off.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Watching the past few games...it seems like he's alost just a little bit overall.

Yes, that happens with age to everyone. But the decline is there. You can see it.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
With literally twice the powerplay time though.
first 4 season
Ovechkin : 5:49
Matthews: 2:36

even significantly more than twice the powerplay time (223%).

Has for Ovechkin goal scoring decline it is not the first time there is talk to be the case and everytime in the past it was small sample or bad season occuring that was early talk of it, he gained the benefit of the doubt to wait for at least 100 games in a row sample before concluding anything.

Is game decline occurred very early in is career, but one thing he kept is being an elite goalscorer for longer than maybe anyone, let see.

Reactions: authentic

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Andrei Nazarov will accuse everyone ahead of Ovechkin in goal scoring of beating up a woman years ago until he's back leading the league.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Ovechkin is going to score under 30 goals in a 56 games season playing in a tough division all year? Craaaazy!

I’m sure it’s a coincidence that 7 out of the top 10 goalscorers are playing in the Canadian division.

Hey don't say that! You'll rattle Leaf fans for some odd reason

But on topic, like others said Ovechkin has gone on crazy scoring stretches before, it's not unheard of. Was it 2020 or the year before that he started really slow and everyone discounted him, for him to score something like 20 goals in 15 games to win the rocket?

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Lol I love this narrative that the Canadian division is just a joke.

I'm not picking apart you as an individual at all, I don't like fighting on the internet it's pointless.

Having said all that, the north division is full of the future of hockey and players entering their prime or in their prime. Top 4 in the league and this could be arguable but not insane to imagine by any stretch. McDavid, Drai, Matthew's, Marner.

These dudes are amazing players and deserve more credit than just a "weak division".

People get old, it happens, not everybody is Tom Brady, Ovie has been an amazing goalscorer in this league, he will continue to score.

But his rocket days are over, and he will not score 50 again. I'd bet you if you'd like but nothing crazy, I'm not a rich man by any stretch lol.

Okay let's calm down with the wild predictions!!! That's very bold of you to assume a 36 years old won't score 50 again, or win the Rocket again. I don't want to pick on you specifically but so many people make that claim each year that it's kind of ridiculous at this point.

It makes me laugh, like his rocket days were last season...and the season before and the season before. Is he in his prime? Not at all. Is he getting any younger? No one is. Has he had "bad" seasons before (30 goals)? Yes he did, and came back strong. That said, coming back strong at 36 might be scoring 45 goals, which would still be insane. He seems to be the type of guy who just enjoys playing, so I'm curious to see how long he'll try to stay in the league.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Looks like he is ready to retire, minus 4 last night, 2 goals in what 11 games. Wayne your record is safe.

Caps seem to be slow and old this year, maybe they are still partying.

Last edited:

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Regardless of their decent record this entire Caps team has just seemed a bit off this season. Maybe its trying to learn a new system under Lav but they are def not firing on all cylinders...especially Ovi.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
and less than half the supporting talent.

:laugh:

Not sure if you're serious but Matthews has only played with Marner since Keefe became our coach last season. Before that his best linemates were Nylander, Hyman and Rielly. Backstrom, Semin, and Green are quite easily better than that.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
Looks like he is ready to retire, minus 4 last night, 2 goals in what 11 games. Wayne your record is safe.

Caps seem to be slow and old this year, maybe they are still partying.
I dunno about ready to retire, but yeah, he does look a step slower than he used to, and that is all it takes in hockey to not be an elite goal scorer anymore.

That said, he will rattle off 20 in 15 now.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
first 4 season
Ovechkin : 5:49
Matthews: 2:36

even significantly more than twice the powerplay time (223%).

Has for Ovechkin goal scoring decline it is not the first time there is talk to be the case and everytime in the past it was small sample or bad season occuring that was early talk of it, he gained the benefit of the doubt to wait for at least 100 games in a row sample before concluding anything.

Is game decline occurred very early in is career, but one thing he kept is being an elite goalscorer for longer than maybe anyone, let see.
Ovi played with no one for 2 of those years, who's Matthews playing with again? Nice narrative though, sorry I had to ruin it.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Regardless of their decent record this entire Caps team has just seemed a bit off this season. Maybe its trying to learn a new system under Lav but they are def not firing on all cylinders...especially Ovi.
A bit? Team is a mess from the top down to the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad