Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
19bruins19 said:
Ya! Way to go for possibly ending someone's career! :shakehead

I know it was a clean hit, but come on.
You take this way too personally.

Not like he's been a Bruin for life, if he was still a Cap you'd be playing a slightly less dramatic tune.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Lionel Hutz said:
I don't yet know enough about him to say he is disrespectful, but man, I hate seeing hits like that. It was clean, but he got him right on the jaw, IMO, players should not take that opportunity.

I disagree... for one thing, I highly doubt Ovechkin was looking to put a hit on his jaw. He's not a head hunter. While he is looking to make contact, he didn't go for the head... And how is it his fault if Gonchar's got his head down not even looking when he's coming across?

If anything, I'd applaud Ovechkin for not pulling up, and being agressive. It was clean, but even if it was a little shady, I'd still be happy. Having a harder edge isn't always a bad thing.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Chimaera said:
I disagree... for one thing, I highly doubt Ovechkin was looking to put a hit on his jaw. He's not a head hunter. While he is looking to make contact, he didn't go for the head... And how is it his fault if Gonchar's got his head down not even looking when he's coming across?

If anything, I'd applaud Ovechkin for not pulling up, and being agressive. It was clean, but even if it was a little shady, I'd still be happy. Having a harder edge isn't always a bad thing.

It was a clean hit, I didn't dispute that. I prefer when players turn away from taking advantage like that. Give him a love tap and let him know you could have clobbered him with his head down, but let him go.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Lionel Hutz said:
I don't yet know enough about him to say he is disrespectful, but man, I hate seeing hits like that. It was clean, but he got him right on the jaw, IMO, players should not take that opportunity.

You know, watching it a second time Ovechkin didn't even lean in. In fact, it looks like he stood up ala S. Stevens at hit Gonchar on the collarbone.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Perfectly clean hit, I feel bad for Gonchar because he is going to be hurting for a while... but hockey is a rough game ya gotta be on the lookout.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
I think Ovechkin could of really leaned in and creamed Gonchar head on rather than clip him like he did.. Don't know if it would have been better or worse for Gonchar had Ovechkin done that, but the hit would have been more spectacular at least. :innocent:

I hope Gonchar is fine.. It did look quite nasty.

Last edited:

NewYorkStranger

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
It was a clean hit, I didn't dispute that. I prefer when players turn away from taking advantage like that. Give him a love tap and let him know you could have clobbered him with his head down, but let him go.
Maybe you should just stick to figure skating and golf if contact bothers you so much.

Vic Rattlehead*

Moskau said:
You take this way too personally.

Not like he's been a Bruin for life, if he was still a Cap you'd be playing a slightly less dramatic tune.
No, not really. When someone's life could be dramatically changed and people are saying "way to go!" and "Great hit" it's kind of tasteless.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
19bruins19 said:
No, not really. When someone's life could be dramatically changed and people are saying "way to go!" and "Great hit" it's kind of tasteless.
Well, you have to understand that it probably wasn't nearly as serious as Russian newspapers would have you to believe.

He probably winked or something and over in Russia they will report "Gonchar seriously hurt! Struggles to grasp life! Death for hockey of mother Russia! Hero!!!!! 1111 !!!!"

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sweet hit. Gonchar goes down like a sack of bricks and Ovechkin doesn't budge.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Totally clean hit by Ovechkin. In fact, he really didn't lean into Gonchar.

On a side note, I'm suprised that guy didn't score at the end of the video clip -- he had a wide open net. I think it was Gladskikh.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Why would anyone turn away from laying a bone jarring hit? I just don't see the logic.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Lionel Hutz said:
Don't be a jerk, I like phisical play as much as the next guy. Fact is he could have turned away.

I don't think he could have. We haven't had the opportunity to play at a fast pace with such skilled players, on a competitive level such as this. While moving forward to knock somsone down, could Ovechkin really have thought, "Okay, his head's coming down, I'm going to have to reposition myself so I can nudge him but I don't want to hurt him." During play like that, analysis goes out the window, and instinct kicks in, because that's the only time you have.

It's truly unfortunate that Gonchar got hurt, but he has to expect physical play. Ovechkin could have turned away and let the guy go, but Gonchar could have been looking as well. You also have to bear in mind that if Ovechkin didn't knock him down, Gonchar may have been able to squeeze through and score a goal? Ovechkin's just trying to do his job, and do it cleanly.

If you're voicing this because you feel bad about Gonchar getting hurt, that's cool. I just think your sympathies are clouding the reality that there's nothing else Ovechkin could have done. Hockey players, in a high competitive setting, don't have the luxury of analysis when they're trying to lay a clean hit. It's the players who do dirty things that I have an issue with.

Vic Rattlehead*

Vlad The Impaler said:
And? I didn't imply anything in there Vlad. All I said was that Varada and Volchenkov were hurt by Bergeron. Please, re-read my post and tell me where I said "great hits, way to go!". Please, tell me Vlad.

Way to go. I never said "Nice hit" in there. I fail to see the point. All I said was that Bergeron was physical when some were calling him not physical. :teach:

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Lionel Hutz said:
Don't be a jerk, I like phisical play as much as the next guy. Fact is he could have turned away.

Why would he turn away was this novice hockey and hitting was not allowed? Gonchar could have not laced up the skates that day also but he did. So why would Ovechkin turn away?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Shane said:
Whoa, since when did Scott Stevens become Ovechkin's personal trainer? :bow:

Ovechkin responds from article on Dynamo's site: (run through translator)

"Aleksandr ovechkin: "this was exceptionally play incident. Not there was any design whatever in my actions, 4 it did not be going to bring injury on Sergey. I relate to this hockey player with the large respect even I consider that potter - one of the strongest defenders of Russia. Not so long ago we together with it protected the colors of national command on the goblet of peace, and to me it was very pleasant to leave with it together to ice. It is very it's a pity, that this joint led to the injury of my of associate on the shop. This morning I rang to Sergey and wished to it the fastest recovery. I hope, after only the month we will again see this splendid master on the hockey areas of our country "."

Thanks to Marshall from the Caps homepage.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
Lionel Hutz said:

Maybe when you have an empty net you shouldn't score because you prefer when players turn away from advantages like that. And I guess when your team plays the Pittsburg Penguins, you's rather see your team lose the game since a win would be too easy and you'd rather see players turn away from taking advantages like that.

They play professional hockey, they are paid for that type of stuff. You don't give love tap when you play professional. Hell you don't give love-****ing-taps when you're in the playoff even though you're 10 years old. The only time you give love taps is when you're playing for pur fun, (either with friends or with people you don't know), when you play non contact games (beer leagues and stuff) or when you practice. Maybe evcen when you're in the shower ;) . BUT NOT in a serious game.
Get a grip buddy, learn what real hockey is.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
19bruins19 said:
And? I didn't imply anything in there Vlad. All I said was that Varada and Volchenkov were hurt by Bergeron. Please, re-read my post and tell me where I said "great hits, way to go!". Please, tell me Vlad.

Way to go. I never said "Nice hit" in there. I fail to see the point. All I said was that Bergeron was physical when some were calling him not physical. :teach:

Emoticons can tell a lot. The point is, I think you've got an accute case of cheerleading, which is obvious almost everytime I see you post, and your selective outrage is ridiculous here. You seem damn proud when your boy Bergie hammers someone on a questionable hit, then you go on whining when something happens to your guy on a straight play and show indignation every two posts. It's dumb.

I found a thread where you were hoping to get Marchment for your team. Must have been to help on the powerplay, I suppose?

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=1761639&#post1761639

You do know who Marchment is, don't you?

I guess my point, in short, is that you're dripping with so much homerism, I'm gonna have to clean my monitor once I've posted this.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
jacklours said:
Maybe when you have an empty net you shouldn't score because you prefer when players turn away from advantages like that. And I guess when your team plays the Pittsburg Penguins, you's rather see your team lose the game since a win would be too easy and you'd rather see players turn away from taking advantages like that.

They play professional hockey, they are paid for that type of stuff. You don't give love tap when you play professional. Hell you don't give love-****ing-taps when you're in the playoff even though you're 10 years old. The only time you give love taps is when you're playing for pur fun, (either with friends or with people you don't know), when you play non contact games (beer leagues and stuff) or when you practice. Maybe evcen when you're in the shower ;) . BUT NOT in a serious game.
Get a grip buddy, learn what real hockey is.

OK, OK your ridiculus analogy has convinced me through the sheer force and conviction of your reasoning. Well done. And I can do with out the "get a grip" and "learn what real hockey is" comment. Maybe you should learn how to have a discussion.

I'd rather not see a guy plant his shoulder into another guy's chin when he doesn't see it coming that's all. Obviously I also do not beleive in empty net goals or beating the Pens :dunno: Seriously, wtf are you talking about?

I don't like shoulder to chin contact, and I don't like concussions. The fact that I have this conviction does not mean I need to "learn what real hockey is" or get a grip. It is clearly you who needs to "get a grip".

Judging from the translated comments above, perhaps he really didn't take liberties, if he didn't, fine that's part of the game. But too often you see players out there with a lack of respect head hunting guys who are vulnerable, a clean hit, and totally within the rules, but not one I applaud and not one the game's respectful hitters would take.

There is a lack of respect in the game, perhaps this isn't an instance of it after all, but there is, and some of the comments here re-inforce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->