Ovechkin is not the next Lemieux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
Please people...from what I hear about his game, he is a completely different type of player than Mario. Yes he will be an excellent scorer, but he seems to be a bit more of a two-way player than Mario. A lot of scouts have said that his scoring potential is probably lower than Kovalchuk's, but the rest of his game makes up for it. To me, he sounds like a Forsberg type. Responsible defensively, to go along with great offensive skills. However, not as ridiculous gifted offensively as Mario was at in his prime.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Hockeycrazed07 said:
Jonathan Cheechoo is the next Mario...I mean, he's already scoring goals between his legs...what's left for the man to do?

~Crazed.

BS. Everyone knows that Martin Erat is the next Lemieux. I mean, he made a great move behind the net against Detroit after all!

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
Hey did u guys know that Jaromir can be rearranged to make Mario Jr!!!!! True Story!!!

gburg2015

Apr 20, 2004
Washington DC
everyone knows Cheechoo and Erat are not the next Mario, they are not hurt enought. When they develop bad hips and play in 20 games a season then maybe we can talk.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
gburg2015 said:
everyone knows Cheechoo and Erat are not the next Mario, they are not hurt enought. When they develop bad hips and play in 20 games a season then maybe we can talk.
gee i wonder why caps fans hate mario. :banana:

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Handsome B. Wonderful said:

I have no idea either. It's crazy. Mario dropping 2-3 points a game on them in every playoff series in the 90's couldn't have anything to do with it. Could it?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Foppa_Rules said:
We'll see about that "iagreewithidiots".
One thing you like to do is try and disprove people that don't speak as highly of Ovechkin as you would like. But I've never once seen you disagree when someone has compared Ovechkin to Lemieux. So what's your opinion, you think he IS the next Lemieux? Or are you incapable of speaking negatively about AO?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
AO is definately the next Lemieux . . . unfortunately it is his brother Alaine (hope that I spelled that correctly) that he is most like, not Mario

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Jacobv2 said:
One thing you like to do is try and disprove people that don't speak as highly of Ovechkin as you would like. But I've never once seen you disagree when someone has compared Ovechkin to Lemieux. So what's your opinion, you think he IS the next Lemieux? Or are you incapable of speaking negatively about AO?

No, I do NOT think he is the next Lemeuix. I don't think he ever will be. I don't think he has to be. All he as to be is the first Ovechkin. He has his own style. I will be more than happy if he has a similar imapct as Peter Forsberg or Jaromir Jagr--before he cut his hair.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Foppa_Rules said:
No, I do NOT think he is the next Lemeuix. I don't think he ever will be. I don't think he has to be. All he as to be is the first Ovechkin. He has his own style. I will be more than happy if he has a similar imapct as Peter Forsberg or Jaromir Jagr--before he cut his hair.

Ovechkin should grow the super-mullet.

BIGTRAIN*

ObeySteve said:
If he's the next Lemieux, then what the hell is Crosby?

Ovechkin in many ways will be better than lemieux >> Bigger stronger checks plays defense scores goals and is a playmaker >> He could be and I think he will be a 45 - 50 goal scorer and 100 + points yearly >>

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Different era, but Mario consistently got point totals double what the leading point scorers get today and averaged almost 2 points a game. 40-50 goals and 100 points would be a bad year, a very bad year for Mario in his prime.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah.. Lemieux is arguably the best player ever, and at the VERY WORST one of the top 4 players ever. Just because someone plays an all-around game doesn't mean he's ever going to be anything more than a fraction of what Lemieux was.

I think Ovechkin can be on the level of Iginla and possibly even Jagr, but Lemieux? No, no and no.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jacobv2 said:
Yeah.. Lemieux is arguably the best player ever, and at the VERY WORST one of the top 4 players ever. Just because someone plays an all-around game doesn't mean he's ever going to be anything more than a fraction of what Lemieux was.

I think Ovechkin can be on the level of Iginla and possibly even Jagr, but Lemieux? No, no and no.

I never say no, no and no, but will say that it is a long shot . . . 2 points a game, over a career that spans 20 years . . . .just think on that . . . unlikely at best that AO will achieve that but I will see Foppa in 20 years and we will know then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->