Ovechkin guarantees game 7 win vs NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
No point in discussing further. One player can't win games. He didn't even guarantee a win. Arguing over pointless ****. I guess Ovi haters have to hate on something he does/says.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Can't blame him for saying his team was going to win, I'm sure it didn't effect the outcome of the game anyways. He was decent in the playoffs this year, just couldn't quite get on the board enough in the last 5 games.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Q: Do you think you can win?
A: Yes. I believe my team can win the game.

Fan response: TERRIBLE CAPTAIN! TOO COCKY! STONE HIM!

Alternate:

A: Anything can happen.

Fan Response: TERRIBLE CAPTAIN! NO CONFIDENCE! STONE HIM!

Dallas Eakins*

invisible in period 2 and 3 and nice give away in OT, yup right about sums it up

Yep. I love Ovie and I loved the comment but his game tonight was a Phil Kessel impersonation he scored one goal and people will think it was enough to make up for his atrocious play the rest of the night his line was the only one spending time in the Caps end in OT and they spent alot of it! Absolutely ****ing hemmed then a terrible giveaway. He didn't come close to playing well enough.

Backstrom is overrated as ****. I was saying this all year and he let the team down in a massive way tonight. People were content to call him a top 10 player in the league all year ranking ahead of or with Toews, Tavares, Giroux in every mention it's ridiculous I take any of those players 100 times out of 100.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Alternate:

:laugh: Ain't it the truth.

Thorngart

Apr 16, 2015

Alternate:

Pretty much
People crying over stuff like this is the reason we almost exclusively get ready-made answers in interviews.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Also, I have no qualms with what he said. I have more issues with the Media making it out to be this huge thing.

One of the first things CBC asked McDonough (think it was him) after winning was "was Ovechkin's guarantee bulletin board material". So annoying.

But I still chuckle now in hindsight.

Ovechkin played well. Not great, but I noticed him playing responsible hockey and buying into his teams defence first system many times tonight. Only huge mistake was that giveaway in OT.

I will say this though. He was bad throughout the series at getting his line mates the puck. Some of that was the Rangers clogging the middle, but he was not good at distributing the puck this series.

BlueShirts702

Mar 28, 2008
City of Sin
How many posters had this thread open all OT just to be "that guy"? Sheesh. Wasn't AO's fault.

His team more than earned the win tonight, neither side could be upset if they lost. Caps deserved it based on OT alone.

No, the better team won the game. Them's the breaks. "Ovechkin fought valiantly, Ovechkin fought nobly, Ovechkin fought honorably. And Ovechkin lost."

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
And that is why you keep your mouth shut in the playoffs.
Why? You think this actually made a difference? A difference greater than Mike Green taking the dumbest penalty in the world moments after the Caps killed off another dumb Mike Green penalty? You think it made the Rangers try harder than they were going to try anyway? You think the Ranger guys have never been interviewed and didn't know what the context of that quote was? You think it was the difference in overtime? So, tell me just what effect did you think it had?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Alternate:

So ****ing true. :shakehead.

The hockey media just fabricate these attention-grabbing headlines.....practically hijacked the series with this total non-story, based off an honest answer given in an interview.

Had the Caps won, would Ovy have received half the treatment bestowed upon Messier, all those years ago? Doubt it.

Because I am sure the NYR needed THIS to create some motivation....

Seriously. If the Rangers needed to look elsewhere for motivation and incentive to win the Stanley Cup, I'm not liking their chances against Tampa. :laugh:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Probably his best chance at making it to the ECF for a while.

How so?

First year under new coach. Two new young contributors in Kuzy and Bura. Off season is more likely trimming the fat then any huge losses (Mike Green).

I see no reason why this team won't potentially be better next year. Only major concern is how Brooks Orpik ages.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
I'd say the "all series" taunt and going pointless in 4 straight games deserves more criticism than his "guarantee", he played good tonight, but was far from scoring "all series"

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

Alternate:

He could have taken the Alfredsson route and just flat out said no.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
If you look at the history between these two teams in these situations the Caps had no chance.

He had to try to do something to spark his team, so I wouldn't be too hard on him.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If you look at the history between these two teams in these situations the Caps had no chance.

He had to try to do something to spark his team, so I wouldn't be too hard on him.

Certainly the History is alarming, but this logic makes no sense. Who ever played the better 60 minutes (or 70 something) won the game. How people could tie the outcome of this game to past teams of which none of the players participated in the game tonight is funny. Yep how bout them '87 Caps?

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Certainly the History is alarming, but this logic makes no sense. Who ever played the better 60 minutes (or 70 something) won the game. How people could tie the outcome of this game to past teams of which none of the players participated in the game tonight is funny. Yep how bout them '87 Caps?

I don't know, I just had the feeling once the Rangers won game 5 the Caps were done, considering past series with the Caps.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I don't know, I just had the feeling once the Rangers won game 5 the Caps were done, considering past series with the Caps.

It wasn't a personal attack. Just heard a lot of that this week. I get what you're saying about having that gut feeling. I think this is almost as bad as the Sharks losing 4 straight to LA last year since it was in the 2nd Round and they were that much closer to the big dance.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
He could have taken the Alfredsson route and just flat out said no.

That was a different situation as Ottawa was down 3-1 and getting dominated by Pittsburgh. In the 2003/04 season, Alfie took it a step further than Ovechkin, guaranteeing that the Sens would win the Cup. They obviously did not win, and people have long forgotten about that. The same thing will happen here, it will pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad