Ovechkin, Datsyuk and 2007-08 WAR

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Detroit would have been way better off playing him to his supposed generational offensive potential if he actually had 120 point potential. Which he didn’t.

Datsyuk's production rate adjusted to Ovechkin's ice time would put him at 115 points in 07/08 and 124 points in 08/09.

Yeeeowch.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Considering he was +28 and basically carried an average at best team to the playoffs, I don't think you know what the hell you're talking about.
This is the same guy that said the Flames have 20 forwards better than James Neal. It is not worth arguing with him.

The aforementioned Ovechkin season was one of the best of all time.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
They drove the line.

Not trying to say Roy wasn’t a top six center, but I’d say a good comparison would be Bryan Little.

He wouldn’t have hit 80 if it was not for Pominville having a career year and Vanek was clearly the best player for Buff once Briere left.

Huh? Do you mean to say Vanek drove Roy?

The 3 together only played 20min total
Pominville only played with Roy for 56 min total he was on a totally different line
Vanek and Roy though did play together most of the season for 784 minutes

They were a good powerplay unit though.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Huh? Do you mean to say Vanek drove Roy?

The 3 together only played 20min total
Pominville only played with Roy for 56 min total he was on a totally different line
Vanek and Roy though did play together most of the season for 784 minutes

They were a good powerplay unit though.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Yeah, Vanek with Roy and Pominville’s career year on the PP.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Wow. You believe that’s how it works?

It doesn't work that way but there has to be some acknowledgment for TOI advantages and defensive play?

WAR is a baseball metric where stats can be isolated for players.

The hitter faces the pitcher it's a one on one measurement in hockey it's a lot more fluid with 10 position players all poised to switch from offense to defense at the drop of a hat.

It doesn't translate as well in a fluid game where offense/defense can happen at the same time for any said player.

Ovechkin had an awesome season, his best in fact but Datsyuk' season gets criminally underrated.

The fact that Datsyuk was 9th in Hart voting that year was an still is a complete joke.

Reactions: authentic

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It doesn't work that way but there has to be some acknowledgment for TOI advantages and defensive play?

WAR is a baseball metric where stats can be isolated for players.

The hitter faces the pitcher it's a one on one measurement in hockey it's a lot more fluid with 10 position players all poised to switch from offense to defense at the drop of a hat.

It doesn't translate as well in a fluid game where offense/defense can happen at the same time for any said player.

Ovechkin had an awesome season, his best in fact but Datsyuk' season gets criminally underrated.

The fact that Datsyuk was 9th in Hart voting that year was an still is a complete joke.

Datsyuk was very, very good and I have no problem at all with people putting him around the top of players in 2008 and 2009. I do think it’s ridiculous how people overcompensate for the media’s lack of hype for him at the time, when the entire internet and hockey fandom at large knew he was sick. To say things like his defensive play was so good he sacrificed 20% of his entire production, or that if he just played the same amount of minutes he’d surpass the generational offensive guys like Geno and OV.. that’s just not how it works and you start to needlessly overrate just how good he was when he was obviously great already.

Reactions: koalabear9301

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Datsyuk spent between 54-64% of his ice time in 07-08 with Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Rafalski, and Holmstrom. It's hard to find a more advantageous situation than that.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Datsyuk was very, very good and I have no problem at all with people putting him around the top of players in 2008 and 2009. I do think it’s ridiculous how people overcompensate for the media’s lack of hype for him at the time, when the entire internet and hockey fandom at large knew he was sick. To say things like his defensive play was so good he sacrificed 20% of his entire production, or that if he just played the same amount of minutes he’d surpass the generational offensive guys like Geno and OV.. that’s just not how it works and you start to needlessly overrate just how good he was when he was obviously great already.

We will never know but to finish 4th in scoring 2 years in a row while winning the Selke both years is all time elite plain and simple.

Part of the reason that Ovechkin had such a great peak 3 seasons is because of the ice time and focus on total offense, along with all time talent and drive of course.

Reactions: authentic

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Seeing the players listed and the high WAR values they have on them and then realizing that they are not the top guys from that season makes me question if there is something wrong with the stat being used to rank them.

I mean you even say it that Ovechkins season should be considered an all timer and it isn’t even close to that. That should raise warning flags.

Maybe something is wrong is your evaluation

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Hockey isn't baseball.

On behalf of the entire forum, I would like to thank you for clearing that up. I've been confused ever since:

NLDS_Dodgers_Nationals_Baseball_94758.jpg-04b4a_c0-0-2987-1742_s1200x700.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad