Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Reactions: varank

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Howe comfortably ahead. He's in that Hull/Jagr/Richard tier rounding out the top-5.

Completely agree. Howe is clearly ahead without question and isnt really catchable I dont think. I could see an argument for him anywhere from 2-5 though.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
I just simply don't understand how some people rank Richard above Ovi... I understand Montreal, great history and all, but in my mind Ovi passed him awhile ago, forget about if we are talking about right now. And regarding B.Hull, I believe there was a poll few seasons ago before Ovi won a Stanley cup, Conn Smythe and another Richard and they were neck-neck. I think he passed him too with that Stanley Cup, if not at least after this season for sure (assuming he gets another Richard)

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Ovie is probably top 5 for me. Howe, Hull, Richard, Jagr still ahead. I can see him passing Jagr eventually, but he's not there yet.

I just simply don't understand how some people rank Richard above Ovi... I understand Montreal, great history and all, but in my mind Ovi passed him awhile ago, forget about if we are talking about right now. And regarding B.Hull, I believe there was a poll few seasons ago before Ovi won a Stanley cup, Conn Smythe and another Richard and they were neck-neck. I think he passed him too with that Stanley Cup, if not at least after this season for sure (assuming he gets another Richard)

I don't think it has to do with Montreal, the Rocket was an exceptional player. 8 Cups. First player to get 50 in 50. The main player in the Habs Dynasty years. Hart. Had a high peak and great longevity (basically made the all star team almost every year). I guess the argument could be made that Richard's peak happened during lean years, but you can only punish his career so much for that (if at all). I feel like you're really underrating him.

Reactions: Thenameless

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
For me its:

Howe
Jagr
Hull
Ovechkin
Richard

Ovechkin can pass both Hull and Jagr if he can keep it up for a few more years.

I have it the exact same way.

When it’s all said and done he’ll be the GOAT goal scorer and 2nd to Mr. Hockey

Reactions: um

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Who is 2nd all time in points? Thats right not Gordie Howe. Get out with your Canada bias.

What a horrible post.

Did you at least consider Gordie’s WHA years when you opined this?

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
What a horrible post.

Did you at least consider Gordie’s WHA years when you opined this?
Same goes for Jagr and his KHL years. I dont have emotional attachment to the illustrious mr hockey and simply think Jagr was better neck and neck.

Why was it a horrible post? Jagr is 2nd all time in points and to even suggest the likes of Hull above him is absurd.
Its clearly Jagr who gets little to no love on HF even when the results speak for themselves.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted top 5

Howe is definitely #1

Ive always felt Hull Richard and Jagr are close. And Ov is starting to look good in that grouping. 5 is the safe vote. But i could probably rationalize these 4 in many different orders

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hes still behind Howe, Lafleur and Jagr, but hes in contention with Hull and Richard for top 4, not a bad spot.

The problem is that his peak is short, like two seasons short.

Hes the best goalscorer out of those though, maybe ever.

Reactions: StaalForOne

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Hes still behind Howe, Lafleur and Jagr, but hes in contention with Hull and Richard for top 4, not a bad spot.

His peak was three seasons long ('07-'10). Not too long but impressive in terms of quality (three straight Ted Lindsay Awards).

You think Lafleur is better than Richard?

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Same goes for Jagr and his KHL years. I dont have emotional attachment to the illustrious mr hockey and simply think Jagr was better neck and neck.

Why was it a horrible post? Jagr is 2nd all time in points and to even suggest the likes of Hull above him is absurd.
Its clearly Jagr who gets little to no love on HF even when the results speak for themselves.

Hey wow that must mean that Mark Messier is the 3rd best hockey player of all time

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
His peak was three seasons long ('07-'10). Not too long but impressive in terms of quality (three straight Ted Lindsay Awards).

You think Lafleur is better than Richard?
Yeah, he peaked much higher. Id take the best player in the league for 7 seasons over the second best player or third best for a few years, granted he played against Howe, hes never won a scoring race and lost to guys like Bentley and Lach.

Lafleur destroyed Clarke, Perreault, Dionne, Trottier.

Lafleur has the fourh or fifth best peak of all-time, IMO, and i value what a player was at their best a lot more than a steady guy that is never the best but does it for a long time.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Lafleur "destroyed" those guys?

His top-10 finishes are 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 4

Dionne's are 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7

That's not really "destruction".

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

You talk about a short peak then mention Lafleur? He had a 3 year peak, then 3 other good years then fell off a cliff. Hull and OV match his peak but destroy him for prime and longevity. He doesn't belong anywhere near the top 5.

Reactions: newfy

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Yeah, he peaked much higher. Id take the best player in the league for 7 seasons over the second best player or third best for a few years, granted he played against Howe, hes never won a scoring race and lost to guys like Bentley and Lach.

Lafleur destroyed Clarke, Perreault, Dionne, Trottier.

Lafleur has the fourh or fifth best peak of all-time, IMO, and i value what a player was at their best a lot more than a steady guy that is never the best but does it for a long time.

Then why are you picking Lafleur?

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
1. Gordie Howe
2. Jaromir Jagr
3. Ovechkin

Jagr has the longevity so Ovechkin needs to keep playing but he should pass him soon and I think his dominance is really getting close to Howe just in a different way of course with goals vs. points. I don't think Art Rosses are necessarily of greater worth than goal leads because that's mot about team support.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
1. Gordie Howe
2. Jaromir Jagr
3. Ovechkin

Jagr has the longevity so Ovechkin needs to keep playing but he should pass him soon and I think his dominance is really getting close to Howe just in a different way of course with goals vs. points. I don't think Art Rosses are necessarily of greater worth than goal leads because that's mot about team support.

How is Hull not there if Howe is?

I disagree with your comment about Art Rosses. Art Rosses are about creating offense.

Which all-time great can be argued benefited from team support vs. another?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->