Ovechkin’s best match

Which guy fits OVs game the best?

• Total voters

Isaak16

The Universe Is Here
May 7, 2013
Alberta
Who would have improved Ovechkin’s goal totals the most if they’d played together their whole career? No disrespect to Backstrom at all.

Tried to keep it semi-modern.

I actually think a physical force like Messier or Lindros might have been an interesting fit. The intimidation factor might have been an overwhelming considering he’s a freight train himself.

Edit: not sure why I forgot Mcdavid and Draisaitl

Last edited:

Isaak16

The Universe Is Here
May 7, 2013
Alberta
The guy that has more assists than anyone else has points.
I was still quite young when I watched Wayne. I was 6 the first time I remember watching hockey. It was the 93 cup final. I don’t think he ever played with a power forward type sniper did he? I really wonder if he would have been the best fit. Mario did play well with power players though. Stevens, Jagr...

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I saw thread title and i thought it was about his best individual game.
Than I saw poll options and thought it was who he matches up to best as a player in terms of skillset/ability.

Good job OP. Fooled me twice as to what i thought poll was about.

The easy answer is Gretzky. Best playermaker with one of the best goal-scorers.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I was deciding between a couple of pure play-makers in Oates and Francis. Lemieux and Gretzky were great goal-scorers in their own right. Went with Oates due to the magic he had with Hull and Neely.

Reactions: jw2

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
99 is the easy answer but I went with Adam Oates.

He's the first thing that comes to my mind when i think of a pass first forward.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Corrected
Not to take anything away from OV's accomplishments but Gretzky and Lemieux were undoubtably better goalscorers, considering they were pass-first players who still managed to put up historic goal totals. If they focused their game on scoring goals as much as OV does, at the expense of their playmaking, this wouldn't be much of a debate. This is especially true since OV's style morphed from his balls-to-the-walls, all-around offensive style into more of a trigger man. I think OV has surpassed history's other snipers (Bossy/Richard/Hull, etc.) but, in my books, he'll never better Gretz/Lemieux because of their style of play.

Reactions: Madap

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Not to take anything away from OV's accomplishments but Gretzky and Lemieux were undoubtably better goalscorers, considering they were pass-first players who still managed to put up historic goal totals. If they focused their game on scoring goals as much as OV does, at the expense of their playmaking, this wouldn't be much of a debate. This is especially true since OV's style morphed from his balls-to-the-walls, all-around offensive style into more of a trigger man. I think OV has surpassed history's other snipers (Bossy/Richard/Hull, etc.) but, in my books, he'll never better Gretz/Lemieux because of their style of play.

There's a difference between "best" and "greatest". OV might not be the best goal scorer ever (he does have a great argument though), but he's the greatest. Definitely ahead of Gretzky and especially Lemieux. His only real competition for greatest is Bobby Hull and Howe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad