OV vs Laine

Who’s the better powerplay player?

• OV

• Laine

Results are only viewable after voting.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
For his first two seasons Laine is 2nd in PP goals with 29. Ahead of him is only Ovechkin with 34. Noteworthy is that Laine does not play the entire PP opposed to Ovechkin who often does.

Again, I kind of sort of could agree with you but I think the bolded is more than just noteworthy. ~40% increase in PPTOI is more than just noteworthy in determining what the actual efficiency is.

But yeah I guess there is nothing new for us to discuss anymore, points well made :).

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
I personally think Laine’s better on the powerplay, he still has that elite one timer like OV but his wrist shot can beat goalies in a whole different way. Do you agree?

No I don't agree.. Watch a bit more of OV on the powerplay, he has every shot in the book.

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
Ovechkin i dont think that he is even very good powerplay player yea he gets those goals he has good shot, but not amazing level like whats Laine's shot has been seen now for example. Ovechkin gets set up by elite playmakers and shoots randomly hard shots to net and some go in difference is shot attempts that he is allowed to take and i say teams allow those shots they will not let Laine shoot those nearly as much they accept Ovechkins shots because they know its better to let him shoot from point than let Bäckström Kuznetsov Oshie Carlsson play 4v3. With Laine that would be suicideous he will score quickly if given free shot lines. Teams could quite easily eliminate Ovechkins scoring on powerplays if they chose to do so but they know then those skilled other players would score more 4v3. I think Ovechkins big goal statistics tell more about stragedy of Washington especially on powerplay but also 5v5 his stats get boosted because others try to set up him more than necessary its star cult think.. If given no priviledges he would have to defend like others play powerplay only half of it shorter shifts more intensively no team mates trying to set him up more than average his goal and point totals would drop clearly. He is good shooter but not nearly as great as hyped even in Russian national team he has some special treatment, but there not so much as in Washington and his stats are mediocre in national team in IIHF world championships many players who play in Europe have showed better play/even stats than him. Guys like Petri Kontiola or Mathias Olimb Lauris Darzins Linus Omark seem to get as good/better results than him at wch atlest for last 10 years its been so..

:laugh::thumbd:

Reactions: filinski77

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Indeed Ovechkin has even the better shot on the 1-timer, as testified in this thread. Laine has nothing on him, except the blond hair.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
I think Laine would score 80 goals per season if he would change role with Ovechkin. Ovechkin's shot is only decent its not even great he just shoots so much gets opportunity because thats way Washington runs theyr game and opponents will take it because its more safer to let Ovy shoot from farer away than let more skilled players like Kuznetsov Bäckström closer to net. Ovechkin i think is kind of clown/joke of hockey way that he is talked like he is somethink same like Ronaldo in football or somethink. Reality is its more question is Ovechkin even good player at hockey than to compare him to real great players. You can see that take him to international level game and he doesnt seem any better than average Norways' or France's national team player at world championship's its like emperor without clothes. I dont think any person who knows hockey for real would call Ovechkin really great hockey player ofc in interviev they could make polite answers politically correct, but in reality i think people like Gretsky or Larionov think that Ovy is awful player stupid bull with no hockey IQ or skill and so he is kind of joke to be admired doesnt play defence at all and so on.. Its kind of shame for hockey that many kids take that kind of player as theyr idol it tells that hockey is kind of like bastard of ball/team games still uncivilized game that regular people around it spectators coaches etc dont value technical/motoric skills and clevereness so much in Nhl its still too much about senseless rushing here and there blasting puck around randomly Im sure people like Gretsky or old Soviet stars find Ovechkin laughable/ and or shameful to sport of hockey in theyr private opinions.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
It is when people think Ovechkin is "easily" better at PP despite the fact that Laine was the best last season, by 3 goals, which is pretty big gap.

And since this poll isnt really close either, it just proves my point that Laine is underrated in this 1 specific area.
That's one season. If Laine can average 17 PP goals a year like Ovi has in his 14 year career, then we could be having this discussion. It's way to early to tell.

For the record...Ovi had 59 PP goals in his first 3 NHL seasons. Laine would have to score 30 PP goals this year to match that. Just saying. Ovi is just so dominant on the PP, and has been for almost a decade and a half.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Combined seasons 2016-2019 Powerplay Stats

OV......177GP, 703.8TOI, 39G+27A=66Pts,
Patty...169GP, 491.6TOI, 35G+17A=52Pts,

Shooting volume and accuracy
OV......235SOG, 16.6S%, 484STA, 48.6SThru%, 0.081G/SA, 12.45SA/G, 6.03SOG/G
Patty...154SOG, 22.7S%, 292TSA, 52.7SThru%, 0.120G/SA, 8.34SA/G, 4.40SOG/G

Time needed in points production
OV......3.98TOI/GP, 18.05TOI/G, 26.07TOI/A, 10.67TOI/Pt,
Patty...2.91TOI/GP, 14.05TOI/G, 28.92TOI/A, 9.45TOI/Pt,

OV have 43.17% more PP TOI than Patty. If assuming same PP TOI for Patty and extrapolating his stats linearly using his production stats, we get:
Patty...50G+24A=74Pts, 220SOG, 418TSA

If assuming OV's shooting volume (235SOG) for Patty, and extrapolating his points production using his current shooting accuracy, we get: Patty...53G

If OV would've have Patty's TOI (69.8% of Ovi's), but assuming same accuracy and production rate as now, the intrapolation of his PP points score would look now like:
OV......27G+19A=46Pts

----

Patrik Laine scores more PP goals with lesser time needed for a goal, using lesser amount of shots per goal i.e. having higher accuracy (S%), and missing net less often (STrhu%) when shooting. His rookie season cannot be considered particularly good PP scoring-wise.

OV is better in PP playmaking, and even if Laine would have same TOI he wouldn't still surpass OV's assists production.

Overall PP points scoring efficiency goes for Laine, by his considerably higher goal scoring rate: he needs on average 4 minutes less for a PP Goal than OV.

Edit: correction

Last edited:
Reactions: grieves

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Note also:

Goals/Points percentage - career:

OVI......All situations 54.25%, PP 52.58%
Patty....All situations 60.84%, PP 67.31%

Both being so called "pure goal scorers", Laine being one of the most pure "sniper" ever.

Reactions: grieves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad