Outsiders perspective/question...

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Hey folks,

(Bruins fan coming in peace) I've watched a couple Islanders games this year -usually I just watch the games against the Bruins- and I am at a complete loss for words as to how/why Finley is on your roster. I really do not get it, can someone explain why he is?

His hockey sense is maybe the worst I have seen from an NHL defender, I cannot think of someone with less IQ out there. Just stupid plays when easy ones are available.

You have Carkner who is one of the top 5-10 toughest guys in the league (IMO) so it isn't like you need to carry 2 heavyweights back there either. I thought the Carkner pick-up was pretty smart, but you guys have hit rock-bottom with the Finley move.

Carkner and Hickey would make a ton of sense, but sticking any of your Dmen with Finley just seems cruel to them. What am I missing here? Thanks.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Hey folks,

(Bruins fan coming in peace) I've watched a couple Islanders games this year -usually I just watch the games against the Bruins- and I am at a complete loss for words as to how/why Finley is on your roster. I really do not get it, can someone explain why he is?

His hockey sense is maybe the worst I have seen from an NHL defender, I cannot think of someone with less IQ out there. Just stupid plays when easy ones are available.

You have Carkner who is one of the top 5-10 toughest guys in the league (IMO) so it isn't like you need to carry 2 heavyweights back there either. I thought the Carkner pick-up was pretty smart, but you guys have hit rock-bottom with the Finley move.

Carkner and Hickey would make a ton of sense, but sticking any of your Dmen with Finley just seems cruel to them. What am I missing here? Thanks.

Big defensemen take longer to develop. Finley is REALLY big. So by the time he's 35 or 36 he'll be very solid. Patience.

:sarcasm:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Hey folks,

When you find out, please tell us because we don't have the FFC why our GM or coaching staff put him out there for the very same reasons you are asking. His skating is also barely AHL level. He is denying a construction project a very good traffic pylon somewhere.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Jack Capuano, the head coach, is really trying to put emphasis on size and toughness. We have Martin, Carkner, and Boulton who take care of that department so we are too wondering why Finley is still in the lineup over Hickey or Martinek.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
The only reason i think he is still here is because, they dont want to lose him to waivers and i think if he plays 10 games he can go back to the ahl.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
His gaps are terrible and his pivots are slow. Any forward with any kind of speed spins him around like a top. I see Cap doing what ever he can to limit his icetime so why not give Hickey a shot.

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
Hey folks,

I'm asking myself that same question. I guess the Isles management is stupid. Look at some other dumb moves they've done

- signing Reasoner. his best days are long gone (if they ever existed)
- not resigning Parenteau (production from the top line is going to crash worse than the stock market)
- Keeping Father Time and Humpty Dumpty as the tandem in net. (i can't even begin to go on about this)

STUUUUUPID !!!!!

I thought the Carkner pick-up was pretty smart, but you guys have hit rock-bottom with the Finley move.

I'm not too sure picking up Carkner was smart either. The guy's a liability when to comes to his numbers in the PIMs. It's not like the Isles went and cloned Chris Phillips.

This team is weak on finesse which is really what matters.

Last edited:

Hipietro

Sep 3, 2006
Long Island
"Finley's a big guy, he kinda looks like an oak tree. Kinda reminds me of da oak tree in my yahd. If you throw da puck at an oak tree is gonna bounce off, and dats da key to winning, getting da right bounces, and also showin a lotta effaht. I like oak trees dat show effaht."

012013_Capuano_sidepic.jpg

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Honestly? He's not incredibly gifted or intelligent, but he at least plays within his limits unlike Carkner.

I don't understand why Carkner has the idea that he's an offensive defenseman making the pinches he made last night. He should not be anywhere lower than the top of the circles. He made mistakes that resulted in Grabner having to cover for him. He needs to understand his limitations.

They're both terrible. They should be #7 and #8 on the depth chart, not getting a regular shift.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
The only reason i think he is still here is because, they dont want to lose him to waivers and i think if he plays 10 games he can go back to the ahl.

This.

The team is trying to stockpile depth in the AHL, and this physical kind is of particular interest given the young stars on the BST.

The team knew there would be turnovers when Finley was on the ice, who is currently -2 on the year in limited sheltered minutes.

Mark Streit is currently -4, Travis Hamonic -1.

Finley will be sent down after 10 games and Hickey will stay and become the 7th/8th along with Martinek until Viz gets up to speed.

Depth at all positions is key, this shortened sprint of a season in particular.

Some don't realize organizational needs, over starting line-up needs.

See Donovan, Matt.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
This.
The team is trying to stockpile depth in the AHL, and this physical kind is of particular interest given the young stars on the BST.

Finley will be sent down after 10 games and Hickey will stay and become the 7th/8th along with Martinek until Viz gets up to speed.

So we are playing a guy for a 1/4 of the NHL season for the sole purpose of adding to minor league depth? Does it get dumber than that? Snow could have just signed AHL dman that plays a physical game without sacrificing NHL time on a scrub.

Finley sucks and I hope management finally sees that and they play Hickey or Martinek. If Finley is getting time for the sole purpose of being sent down than Snow/Capuano are even bigger jokes than we thought.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
So we are playing a guy for a 1/4 of the NHL season for the sole purpose of adding to minor league depth? Does it get dumber than that? Snow could have just signed AHL dman that plays a physical game without sacrificing NHL time on a scrub.

Finley sucks and I hope management finally sees that and they play Hickey or Martinek. If Finley is getting time for the sole purpose of being sent down than Snow/Capuano are even bigger jokes than we thought.

You think rolling with 5 defenseman (and a stiff) and burning them out over 25% of a truncated season in THE NHL, in the name of adding another scrub defenseman to Bridgeport is a bad idea?

No way man, get out of here.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
This.

The team knew there would be turnovers when Finley was on the ice, who is currently -2 on the year in limited sheltered minutes.

Mark Streit is currently -4, Travis Hamonic -1.

Depth at all positions is key, this shortened sprint of a season in particular.

See Donovan, Matt.

Does he have to play at least one shift in these ten games? They burned a roster spot for a year on DP when they knew he wasn't capable of playing so put him on the 4th forward line for a shift as a wing, not on defense if it is simply a numbers game to get him through to the AHL without losing his rights.

His awareness and skating are that bad.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I assume they're playing him b/c they think he's the best guy for that slot. If they think someone in the press box is better but they're playing Finley b/c of the 10 game waiver thing, they'd basically be risking the entire season so that they don't lose Joe Finley on the waiver wire. Oy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad