Outdoor Roller Hockey Rinks

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
I was curious to hear about/see pictures of outdoor roller hockey rinks around the world. I direct a roller hockey league in connecticut, 7 or 8 years ago we had a local college donate their old rink to the town where we play. the town approved us to put the rink in an empty area near the town library and senior center. they layed down asphalt and set the rink up, then we had painting company put down a special paint that gave us a really nice skating surface, they painted lines/circles,creases, and we had a seriously legit outdoor rink. does anybody else play anywhere similar? it's nice to get indoors and play every now and then, but nothing beats playing in an open air rink.

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
here are a few pictures of our rink. the first 3 are a little bit older (before board dashers and the re-painted lines and stuff), the last one is from our fall 2010 ironman tournament.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I don't have pictures, but there's at least 6 outdoor roller rinks within a short drive of where i'm at in metro Detroit. None of them have actual glass along the boards though. Most of them have fencing along the boards. And behind the goalline the fencing is always very high to help keep pucks/balls from traveling too far.

The surfaces range in smoothness. A few of the rinks are smooth enough to effectively use a puck without any problems, while a ball is necessary at a couple of them. The rinks where a ball is more effective also tend to wear down wheels and stick blades quickly.

In addition, a few of the rinks are painted with lines and dots, and a few of them are unmarked.

2 of the 6 rinks that i'm thinking of have lights so they can be used at night. They're both on timers that go off around 10-11pm. Nothing's better than playing roller hockey under the lights.

That's a really nice looking rink you guys have there though. Cherish it. I've had and will continue to have a blast at our local rinks.

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
Sounds awesome man, we are working hard to raise as much money as possible to get lights put up around our rink. the town has already approved running power, we just need to find a less-expensive alternative to huge, expensive lights. our rink is good for ball or an indoor puck, the surface doesnt kill wheels or blades too bad. we certainly do cherish it, thats for sure. we actually have almost all of the original players who started in the league 15 years ago! we actually do a good job attracting people to our rink because as far as i know there aren't ANY other outdoor rinks in the state. if anyone knows of any OUTDOOR rinks in Connecticut, i'd love to hear about them!

Evolved83

Dec 12, 2008
We have quite a few here in the central new jersey area. I don't have any pictures though.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Wow Goose, that's amazing. Do you guys convert it to ice come wintertime? Also imo the blue is too vibrant for sport...maybe a lighter shade or even a light gray would work better.

Mosetter27

I have a handful here in South Jersey

one right across from Virtua Hospital in Somerdale/Vorhees

one in Washington Township Lake Park

and a few that are really rough on wheels, sticks and pucks and also dont have nets that are left out i dont go to... ill get pics soon

Gman

Apr 17, 2007
Tampa
This is where my friends and i usually play. Palm Harbor, Florida.

sunder-06-lg.jpg

sunder-05-lg.jpg

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
yeah we love our rink, its a great place to play. we have talked about flooding it during the winter to play ice, however we have a system at the rink that allows rain/snow water to drain out so in order to flood and freeze we'd have to find a way to prevent the water from escaping. as for the color, the town paid for the painting so they picked the color, before the rink was re-painted and re-lined it was a lighter shade blue/greyish color as you might be able to tell from the pics i posted.

IkeaMonkey*

This is one of the things that KILLS me about the midwest. Everywhere I turn here, I see rinks with boards up...but when I inspect closer...No concrete, just grass! Ice rink only in the winter! I grew up in Massachusetts and played prep, every summer we'd hit a rink and play inline for hours. Was great even when the nets got crappy and after rain you'd have to skate around what was left of the puddles, but it was still awesome. One of the few things I miss about moving from the East Coast.

Hobgoblin Steve

Bacon of Light
Feb 5, 2009
Bay Ridge
I shot a whole lot of pics and video which you can see here:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_72701399874

Located in Brooklyn NY. We have another rink as well, but I dont have any pics there

edit: heres the video:

and two pics, more are up on the fb:
29912_531968974815_206403024_31521549_2980384_n.jpg

163293_1621144420805_1602297301_31476423_6709876_n.jpg

we get some pretty skilled players here. Summer brings all the uni kids in from wherever, and a whole lot of A-div ice league kids. Gets awesome on the weekends

Last edited:

Carlos Ranger

Zucc-a-Rella
Apr 9, 2007
NJ
We have quite a few here in the central new jersey area. I don't have any pictures though.
where do you play play in central jersey? the rinks I play at are manalapan, dorbrook, and freehold.

Can either of you recommend one? I'm looking for a new one in central to play at.. currently all I know of in my area is Fords park in woodbridge but the asphalt is absolutely horrible.

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
There's a park in Baldwin on Long Island with a great indoor surface. The boards suck, but it's easy to put up with.

223437_1852644600295_1366170403_32064832_7045426_n.jpg

222209_1852645920328_1366170403_32064837_4411871_n.jpg

RangersAM99

Mar 28, 2007
New Jersey
Can either of you recommend one? I'm looking for a new one in central to play at.. currently all I know of in my area is Fords park in woodbridge but the asphalt is absolutely horrible.

well I am not really sure of any outdoor rinks up in woodbridge I only know rinks around the freehold/manalapan/jackson area, sorry. If I find out of any rinks up in your area I will post where they are.

LA Kings Hockey

May 22, 2011
LA
we have an outdoor rink that is a little more slick than like a garage floor(concrete)
it doesnt wear down wheels or stick blades too bad, and has heavy duty nets with marked circles, lines, etc. It has an announcer and a league with some bleachers. it has boards with a fence instead of glass and two decent size benches with doors and shade. it has an electronic scoreboard and has basket ball hoops (out of the way) even though it is rented out for the league. it is in a public park but is still full sized. go to tvrhl.com to view.

Rebels21

Jul 6, 2011
Garrison, New York
There are 3 rinks nearby. one which is about 10 minutes away has a crappy surface. Bee infested benches and a few holes in the boards. The other one which is about a 20 minute ride is nice. Nothing special but cant really complain about it. The farthest one is nice. Not as nice as some of the ones that u guys posted above but the boards are somewhat new. Smooth Surface, Green Surface which looks nice and overall a nice rink but its 25-40 minutes away depending on traffic.

BLBarmada

There are 3 rinks nearby. one which is about 10 minutes away has a crappy surface. Bee infested benches and a few holes in the boards. The other one which is about a 20 minute ride is nice. Nothing special but cant really complain about it. The farthest one is nice. Not as nice as some of the ones that u guys posted above
but the boards are somewhat new. Smooth Surface, Green Surface which looks nice and overall a nice rink but its 25-40 minutes away depending on traffic.
Where ?

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
People play there on blades or just street ?

A bit of both. BTW its outdoors. People useally go there now Tuesdays and Thursday nights, becasue they said they have a "league" and if we wanted to play we'd have to pay $120...I called the city and the city said they were lying :laugh:
Never the less if you can get a lot of friends to go during a nice day its lots of fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad