OT: Outdoor rinks

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
My kids hockey team have scheduled outdoor practice 861 Buchanan (Google Maps).

I also checked Valour Community Centre (1315 Strathcona) and it looked like they started flooding a couple days ago. Haven't checked since though.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Played Spongee at Melrose last night so they have ice in. Not sure if it's open to skating yet though.

Northwood has ice in as well.

MotionlessGravity

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Played spongee at Northwood on Sunday. Valley Gardens and Melrose should have ice in also (both used for spongee). Haven't checked Bronx yet but it should have ice any day now if it doesn't yet.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
honestly the fact that community centre's are allowed to have spongee leagues is ridiculous. northwood has been using both rinks almost every night during peak hours for the past 2 or 3 years now. blows my mind this is even legal.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
honestly the fact that community centre's are allowed to have spongee leagues is ridiculous. northwood has been using both rinks almost every night during peak hours for the past 2 or 3 years now. blows my mind this is even legal.

People still playing spongee is even more surprising, guess not everyone can skate!:sarcasm:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Played spongee at Northwood on Sunday. Valley Gardens and Melrose should have ice in also (both used for spongee). Haven't checked Bronx yet but it should have ice any day now if it doesn't yet.

Ice in at both Melrose and NK for about a week now, Bronx always seems like the last club to get ice for some reason.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
People still playing spongee is even more surprising, guess not everyone can skate!:sarcasm:

You can't do both?

Played hockey with some very good spongee players, played spongee with some very good hockey players.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Blows your mind that community clubs like consistent revenue streams?

Illegal.....lol!

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Any of them open late or are un-fenced? It seems bunch now are fenced off and locked when they turn off the lights.

Dying to try the new (today) skates.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Blows your mind that community clubs like consistent revenue streams?

Illegal.....lol!

I think what he means is if they have spongee leagues playing on the outdoor ice where are the kids to play? Nothing like driving your kid to the odr to find the rinks being used for spongee.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Does anyone know if Dakota ever has any future plans for outdoor ice? From the looks of it they only have "indoor skating" now with no sticks or pucks allowed. Growing up it was a 5 minute walk from my house to the rink and they had at least 3 outdoor rinks, at times even more when I was really really young. Now they've dozed those rinks for the construction of that indoor monstrocity so people can play basketball and run laps inside an indoor track. I feel betrayed :(

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Does anyone know if Dakota ever has any future plans for outdoor ice? From the looks of it they only have "indoor skating" now with no sticks or pucks allowed. Growing up it was a 5 minute walk from my house to the rink and they had at least 3 outdoor rinks, at times even more when I was really really young. Now they've dozed those rinks for the construction of that indoor monstrocity so people can play basketball and run laps inside an indoor track. I feel betrayed :(
Yeah the night guy used to leave half lights on one rink when he left if we were out there. Now every other rink is locked up at night...wtf!?!?
Went by Red River CC...7:30...lights out, locked up.
No wonder kids are sitting at home eating junk food and playing hockey on consoles.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yeah the night guy used to leave half lights on one rink when he left if we were out there. Now every other rink is locked up at night...wtf!?!?
Went by Red River CC...7:30...lights out, locked up.
No wonder kids are sitting at home eating junk food and playing hockey on consoles.

Yup and yet the CC's make more and more money from socials, bingo, hall rentals but there is never any money for kids programs or sports.

The city really needs to look at what community clubs have become because they no longer are there for the kids!:rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad