Outdoor game in Colorado Springs was a complete disaster

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
spectacle events are all about the ratings. Carolina might host it but it’ll be with a marquee opponent.
Completely false. The league makes big money off of the ticket sales, merchandise, and concessions. Ratings really only matter to them for future TV rights. If ratings were so important, they wouldn't have had this during NBA All Star Weekend. It's 100% a local money grab.

Old tweet, but the point remains.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The statement linked above states that multiple attempts were made to warn of traffic issues, and people went anyway having been warned of this potential. They were told traffic jams were likely, so BE READY FOR JAMS if you go! Looks like just another instance of people shrugging off any personal responsibility for any inconvenience.
People left 4-5 hours before game time to make what's usually a 45 minute drive and still were late. "Traffic issues" typically don't mean 4 hour stand stills. Putting this on the fans is ridiculous.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
As someone who was at the game it wasn't a disaster at all.

Despite the traffic, 90% of the crowd were in their seats at puck drop.

I thought it was an amazing atmosphere and everyone seemed to be having a good time. If you dressed appropriately it wasn't even that cold. Never been to an event like it!

No one forced anyone to wait in those stupidly long lines for beer, food or merchandise. How hard is it to go 3 hours without a beer?

Yeah the traffic was bad in the parking lots post game but who cares? I'm not going to let that overshadow a fun and unique night.

If the Avs won or didn't give up that goal in the last minute of the game I can guarantee there would be a lot less ******** people.

I understand what you're saying. That was your prerogative to go without those things, but to those that at least wanted food, snacks, non-alcoholic beverages, and merch one would think there would've been better accommodations, no?

I'll use myself as an example. If it were just my friends and I, no doubt we'd tank up food and beverage before the game. Focusing on the game experience, being there, and some swag. If I brought my kids or the entire family, I know I'm going to be on the hook for some measure of food, definitely something for my kids, and merchandise. And I'd focus on getting as much as I could before the game started. In both scenarios being there as early as possible, heeding the traffic warnings.

When you read first-hand accounts in print, and on twitter, that they were there with plenty of time to spare and vendors were already out of a majority of everything. Way before the game even started. Add-in ride-share issues, un-staffed entrances, (I'll glance over the bathroom lines somewhat because they're ridiculous at ANY event anyway), that's worthy of complaints and perhaps one shouldn't be so dismissive when, or if, one puts themselves in their shoes.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
People left 4-5 hours before game time to make what's usually a 45 minute drive and still were late. "Traffic issues" typically don't mean 4 hour stand stills. Putting this on the fans is ridiculous.

I am not saying there was no traffic...but to me, this image shows that only the minory missed the event.
Besides, I wonder how many of all the stories we hear are true. Yesterday, there was a topic on the General forum and someone linked a twitter post where one person complained that their's diabetic son was in trouble because he ran out of insulin and 911 wasn't able to dispatch medics.

As a type 1 diabetic who relies on insulin to survive 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year...going anywhere out of my house I make sure I have a supply of the only thing that keeps me alive for at least 24 hours. So this person, if his story is true, clearly didn't plan accordingly to the even they were heading for.

Stadium-Series.jpg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
These outdoor games jumped the shark a long time ago. Most people only know this game was played because of the backlash afterwards. But the people going there were there on their own account and they should simply not spend any money on the NHL in the future if they intend to punish the league for their ****ty experience.

They did not jump me

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Everyone (fans, NHL, everyone) should have understood that trying to get 45,000 fans on/off the Air Force Academy was going to be a massive shit show. Add in snow and road construction, and the fully expected result only got worse.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Wasnt this at a football stadium? How was getting to/from the hockey game any different than a football game? How were lines any different than at a football game? Legitimately asking, if the stadium can handle that many ppl for a football game there should not have been any issues

The NHL doesnt run the stadium and cannot control traffic, parking, or staffing of the arena.

Reactions: Morrison

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Wasnt this at a football stadium? How was getting to/from the hockey game any different than a football game? How were lines any different than at a football game? Legitimately asking, if the stadium can handle that many ppl for a football game there should not have been any issues

The NHL doesnt run the stadium and cannot control traffic, parking, or staffing of the arena.
I think the football team averages less then half of stadium capacity through home games(6 or 7) which is like September to early December. Guessing stadium management underestimated how much food/beverages were required and how much staff they needed for the game.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

It's the football stadium on the Air Force Academy, meaning there are security checkpoints at the two gates that allow access on the base. All visitors are expected to show valid ID, and may be subject to further screenings, just to get on base. The base is also north of town, so parking elsewhere and walking to the game really isn't an option.

Air Force Football draws about 20,000 fans (give or take) per game, most of them current or former military. Having military ID and a familiarity with the process helps minimize how long the security check takes, and most fans have been to the stadium multiple times, meaning they know where to go, what to do, and all the rules. And, even then, because the two gates are close to the highway, traffic quickly backs up onto the highway, slowing everything to a craw.

The Stadium Series game drew 45,000 fans (give or take). I'm assuming that most fans that attended aren't current/former military, don't have military ID, and weren't familiar with the process. So, there were delays getting fans onto the base. I'm also assuming these fans aren't familiar with the Academy, which further slowed down the process of getting everyone into the parking lot.

So, the stadium series had more than twice the fans and more delays, which exacerbated the problems we see with Air Force Football games/events. It was destined to be a shit show from the moment is was announced. Then there's also road construction on the highway and snow, which only made matters worse.

Once everyone got on the base, I'm sure there was plenty of parking/staff/etc., it's just getting there that's always a problem.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It's the football stadium on the Air Force Academy, meaning there are security checkpoints at the two gates that allow access on the base. All visitors are expected to show valid ID, and may be subject to further screenings, just to get on base. The base is also north of town, so parking elsewhere and walking to the game really isn't an option.

Air Force Football draws about 20,000 fans (give or take) per game, most of them current or former military. Having military ID and a familiarity with the process helps minimize how long the security check takes, and most fans have been to the stadium multiple times, meaning they know where to go, what to do, and all the rules. And, even then, because the two gates are close to the highway, traffic quickly backs up onto the highway, slowing everything to a craw.

The Stadium Series game drew 45,000 fans (give or take). I'm assuming that most fans that attended aren't current/former military, don't have military ID, and weren't familiar with the process. So, there were delays getting fans onto the base. I'm also assuming these fans aren't familiar with the Academy, which further slowed down the process of getting everyone into the parking lot.

So, the stadium series had more than twice the fans and more delays, which exacerbated the problems we see with Air Force Football games/events. It was destined to be a **** show from the moment is was announced. Then there's also road construction on the highway and snow, which only made matters worse.

Once everyone got on the base, I'm sure there was plenty of parking/staff/etc., it's just getting there that's always a problem.

Add in the factor that many of the cadets who go to the Academy football games already live on base. So even if they sold out a game a large portion of the spectators are not coming from outside.

Reactions: DaveG

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Completely false. The league makes big money off of the ticket sales, merchandise, and concessions. Ratings really only matter to them for future TV rights. If ratings were so important, they wouldn't have had this during NBA All Star Weekend. It's 100% a local money grab.

Old tweet, but the point remains.

Ratings matter because they affect what the rightsholder can charge for the almighty advertising.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Ratings matter because they affect what the rightsholder can charge for the almighty advertising.
Believe me, I know. I used to work in the TV ad industry. Ratings matter to the network, but they're not why the league puts on the Stadium Series. Not even close. Winter Classic, you can make the argument, as it was an NBC creation to compete with the NYD Bowls when they lost theirs, but it's definitely evolved to a local event as well, seeing as they're willing to put Dallas vs. Nashville in it.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

So, the stadium series had more than twice the fans and more delays, which exacerbated the problems we see with Air Force Football games/events. It was destined to be a **** show from the moment is was announced. Then there's also road construction on the highway and snow, which only made matters worse.

Didn't Academy confirm they stopped ID checks at 12:30PM that day ? What numerous media outlets claim is...

The academy said it did all it could to ease traffic congestion ahead of the 6 p.m. MT game, opening gates at 5:30 a.m. and eliminating vehicle ID checks at 12:30 p.m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad