Outdoor game in 2017

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
According to Team 1200, the Senators are making plans for an outdoor game vs Montreal in 2017.

With any luck the lockout should be finished by then.

Here's the article from the Business Journal
http://www.obj.ca/Local/Sports and ...-outdoor-NHL-game-in-2017-at-Lansdowne-Park/1

The Ottawa Senators are making plans to host an outdoor National Hockey League game to coincide with celebrations for Canada’s 150th anniversary in 2017, according to those familiar with the tourism industry’s plans for the year’s events

The idea is to have the Senators face off against the Montreal Canadiens, according to Ottawa Marriott general manager Daniel Laliberté, a member of the committee helping plan the city’s offerings for 2017.

That would replicate the first game played 100 years earlier in December 1917 under the banner of a brand new organization formed a month earlier – the National Hockey League

“There are hopes that Ottawa would also host the Grey Cup that same year,”

OMadahey

Nov 21, 2012
capital city
Would be pretty cool, read some stuff on how they were considering a bunch of different venues. New lansdown, dows lake ans potentially on the canal. Most like it will be at the renovated Lansdowne park but either way great news for the city. That's gonna be a special year with the 150th birthday of Canada thing and new lrt and such.

Let's just hope we all don't die tomo lol....

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
Although it would probably never happen, I think it would be awesome if a game was played on the Rideau Canal.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Sweet! I hope someone (CBC?) makes an HBO 24/7-like series about this. Those are awesome.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
They are looking at Frank Clair Stadium.

as they engage in discussions with the NHL about bringing the game to Lansdowne Park

The canal would be a good place to have other events surrounding the game, but as with last years all star game, you cant count on it being frozen.

Also Frank Clair can accommodate the fans.

Jerk Store*

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on this happening. Makes too much sense for the NHL as well.

smithy

May 31, 2011
New York
This should not be the Winter Classic. This should be played in February ON THE CANAL.

Or, if they do go with Lansdowne, then they should play an exhibition match ON THE CANAL.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Sweet! I hope someone (CBC?) makes an HBO 24/7-like series about this. Those are awesome.

Not going to happen as long as a Canadian team is involved.

Although it would probably never happen, I think it would be awesome if a game was played on the Rideau Canal.

I'm not familiar w/ the canal so here are some challenges that come to mind when you say "canal": How would seating be arranged ? Would the canal support the massive weight from stands being brought in or would they be able to sit on the banks? Does the canal have a wide-enough region where there are surrounding buildings / balconies?

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Sweet, would've liked Alfie being in the game... But of course, never doubt him. Probably be playing

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
For those unfamiliar:

canalskate.jpg

smithy

May 31, 2011
New York
Doing the Canal would take a little extra effort, but it would be amazing. (Again, this game would have to be in February, which would probably be to the NHL's favor as it would not interfere with a US-hosted Winter Classic.)

Set up stands on the Queen Elizabeth and Colonel By Driveways at (or near) the northern terminus of the canal. As for the ice itself, it could either be the actual canal ice (unlikely) or a temporary articial ice surface structure supported by piles (that could also be elevated to street level in order to improve the sight lines).

I frankly see no point of doing this in Ottawa at all if they don't use the Canal, which is the icon of the city. (Or they could do it on Parliament Hill I guess.) At the very least, they should have an exhibition game on it as a part of the festivities.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
What's the reasoning behind that?

Btw - that should be "two" canadian teams involved, not "a" canadian team as they were going to cover the Detroit/Toronto matchup.

I don't know I'm not an HBO producer. However I would have to assume it would have something to do with expected viewership / ratings.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I don't know I'm not an HBO producer. However I would have to assume it would have something to do with expected viewership / ratings.

Yeah but I said a show that is like 24/7. HBO doesn't have to make it, couldn't another network make a similar show? Or is that infringing copyright? :laugh:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I can't see how it could be on the canal. You never know when it is going to be frozen enough to skate on. Last year they had a lot of things planned on the canal for the All Star game and only managed a couple but the rest had to be moved to the Rink of Dreams.

The Canal is also not set up for a lot of spectators.

I am sure if they do have the game at Lansdowne that there will be activities planned for the canal which goes right past Lansdowne, but again have to hope it would be frozen enough to use.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Yeah but I said a show that is like 24/7. HBO doesn't have to make it, couldn't another network make a similar show? Or is that infringing copyright? :laugh:

I mis-poke in my previous accusation - please see the edit. I suppose a network could do a shot "like 24/7" but that would be kind of pathetic. It's kind of like how Marketplace is trying to model their "undercover operations" after MSNBC To Catch a Predator. Yeah, they're doing it, but it's pretty obvious.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa

Someone posted it on the main board but the CBC at one point made this year long documentary called "A New Ice Age" with tons of behind the scenes stuff that was really interesting. If they could make something back in the 90's I don't see why the CBC couldn't technically do a behind the scenes thing for this probable "heritage classic" game.

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
I'm not familiar w/ the canal so here are some challenges that come to mind when you say "canal": How would seating be arranged ? Would the canal support the massive weight from stands being brought in or would they be able to sit on the banks? Does the canal have a wide-enough region where there are surrounding buildings / balconies?

Having an outdoor classic on the canal has been rumoured in the past, though the issue of seating is something that could prohibit such an event from being feasible. The stands wouldn't have to be on the ice if they were placed on either side of the canal - think of the setup as similar to an olympic pool venue, where the pool is empty except for ice at the bottom. The stands would be above ground on each side lengthwise to the pool (there could also be seating behind the nets as well, but that would have to be on the ice). The major problem with that is that it would have to be temporary seating with a very limited capacity, which the NHL wouldn't like. So most of the viewership would have to be from TV.

So although having an outdoor classic on the canal would be unbelievably awesome and sentimental, Frank Clair Stadium seems like a much more realistic option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->