Post-Game Talk: Out played Jets lose in ot

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
The reason why I think these figures argue for us being buyers at the deadline, is that this clearly shows that our potential far exceeds our performance and that doing something big to "shake things up" would absolutely be far likelier to make things better than to make things worse. For the opposite reason you might not want to make a big move when the team is playing at full capacity, I think this just shows why it's all the more important that we grab Stone and maybe Duchesne.

Maybe, but even if it makes things better, the Jets are far enough below par that it probably wouldn't make a real difference anyway.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Maybe, but even if it makes things better, the Jets are far enough below par that it probably wouldn't make a real difference anyway.
giphy.gif

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Well that's my argument; the Jets are currently saddled with so much.. whatever you want to call the opposite of 'synergy' that all a trade has to do is to have the Jets playing at "merely" their potential, and they'd make massive gains.

Like, what's the best chance for us to win the Cup in the next five years? I'm thinking that "getting the team as it is right now" playing at their full potential represents runaway the best chance we have. Remember that in addition to a pickup of Stone and/or Duchesne we'll also be healthy (hopefully!) come playoff time. All calendar year we've had two massive stars on the shelf, between Ehlers and (mostly) Buff. Those are, basically, two more huge additions.

But right now, it's clear that, while not to the degree some might think [see which, those who estimate the Jets actual 'deserved' record in 2019 games as being well below what even the *actual* worst team in the league would expect] there is definitely a "whole is less than the sum of its parts" going on. Whatever we gain by adding Stone in talent, if he breaks that? It's worth it.

If you'll pardon the Scrabble metaphor, if all Stone is is the "U" to go with our "Q", it's worth it.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The west is wide open. All teams have struggles. Jets have been bad. Yet still 1st. Shows u that really.. If they get their **** together... They likely walk to the finals. .

Nobody else looks that good in the West
Calgary looks pretty good and San Jose .

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
not denying he's been a surprise. last playoffs were also a surprise.
but that was in reference to a "jest" post declaring that he should be the C and paid a ridiculous contract.
Tanev's good at what he does and stays in his lane. anything else said about him is overstated.

Tanev as C wouldn’t be half bad. He’s giving it all every single night and plays for the team. He’s definitely someone to look up to.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Also have you guys not followed hockey for more than a season? All teams go through cold stretches, the Jets are no different. They are a lock for the playoffs and a lot of the games don’t matter at all. The Leafs were cold until recently, Preds can’t seem to get anything going etc. It’d do you good to check out some other games and take the Jets goggles off to see the bigger picture. Maybe it’s a side effect of finally having a good team, and now you demand them to win every game? It’s better to pace themselves to avoid the burnout that made them lose against Vegas last year.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
They both look decent but do you trust either of their goaltending situations?

Calgary is gonna make it or break it with their goaltending. But I’m also not convinced their forwards continue their scoring pace in the playoffs. They’re are a pretty complete team but goaltending is a question mark. I trust San Jose more.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
How did you stumble on this company? Or have you forgotten?

It's fake. An homage to the fictional company in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Another brilliant offering from writer Charlie Kaufman, who also wrote Being John Malkovich. Both are must-see movies.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Really, this. Practice and convalescence. Be a bit better and be healthier and rested and come out like gangbusters against Colorado.
And I just read on Twitter that Maurice is giving the guys yesterday and today off to "rest". Wow.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Seriously, it's nearing the end of February, practice is nowhere near as useful as rest to them at this point.
While I can't say for certain because I can't pull it up right now, I'm 90% sure that the Jets last year had way more 2 or 3 days off between games (along with less back-to-backs). This is the first 3-day break (not counting the player and all-star break since players use it to go home and such) since at EDM (Dec 31/18) and at PIT (Jan 4/19).

Whether that means the team is struggling due to a) lack of practicing or b) lack of rest, is up to your interpretation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->