Injury Report: Out of Town Thread Part XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The players you mentioned do/did have attitude. Only E. Kane hasn't won a Cup/Smythe and Chelios a Smythe. All of these players have had their detractors. Messier is hated in Vancouver, Dryden had a HOF team in front of him, "Echangez Roy", Chelly got traded in large part to attitude, etc.

PK is polarizing. Loved him in Montreal, don't think much of him as a $9M player now. Do I think all the off ice stuff makes him a better player? Probably not.

In fairness, Messier was a complete turd in Vancouver. But he was hated league wide when he was good.

Didn't Dryden join Nader in part due to a contract dispute?

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Its tough to quantify leadership but just comparing the way we competed last year versus the previous season with Pacioretty its likeky that good leadership helped.

We played hard all season and did not fold under pressure often coming back in games.

To go from Galchenyuk to Domi helped a lot too both on ice and attitude wise. We might not have made the playoffs but I feel we got close to the max we could from our group.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Some will point to his -5 in an elimination game or the fact that his stare to the opposition is not coming up in the win column......like that ever had anything to do with it lol

The stat on his leadership come from the men that he has led in battle......and we all know what the answer is to that one.....

alas......some diehard know it alls will try to debunk this proof with their own analysis from their vast experience of leadership roles in pressure pact environments.

To inspire, earn and give respect on an everyday basis is a difficult trait to acquire.....Weber, based on his peers, has this trait
yup, Weber does that, other C dont...

FFS, I know you guys want Weber to be the very best C in history or something (because he's the stereotype of a brand of hockey you somewhat miss we all know that), but make an effort to sound credible. Please.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You didn't say usually. You said because he wears the C he is the best leader, end of discussion. It isn't a meme, and it is in fact a clear absolute appeal to authority. If you wear the C you provide leadershiop that nobody else can. That was your assertion. I don't know how anything I said can be interpreted as a meme. I don't even understand what you mean by that. I guess you are saying that my argyment is reactionary and thoughtless, derived from crap on the internet? Now you are backing off but your statement was unequivocal.

The team is no better than it was before he arrived. Arguably worse. I don't know the last time we saw a talented player suck for an extended critical period like Drouin did last year. The team pretty much no showed in the last two playoff games against the Rangers. I didn't see any players take a measurable step forward on his arrival. Basically nothing changed.

I am aware that wins would be a measure or a statistic. I see no need for that level of condescension, clearly you do.

Well, the team was worse since he arrived, because they lost radulov and markov one year into his career in Montreal, who were replaced pretty much by Alzner, and Hemsky.

They have rebounded as a team to a certain extent since, but that's more on management.

What I look for out of a captain is hopefully someone who can command the respect out of the room, and help keep the players on the same page. This is tough to gauge because we always hear about how the room is tighter than ever until there's a new era, and the same stuff is said again.

I think it helps to have your captain have a good relationship with the officials. As the guy who talks to the officials more than anyone else, you don't want your team represented by a guy that the referees can't stand, and it could cause a bias against you.

The captain is hopefully someone the coaches and players can trust to be that link between the two.

The captain needs to be able to play the game without the spotlight and role of being the captain affecting their own game.

Finally, the captain is someone who is your brand ambassador. He's the one who has to be able to handle the press better than anyone. Do not enhance the white noise that is already inherent in the market.

I know there have been team votes in the past, but I think a captain should be appointed by management as the guy they believe embodies the qualities that other players should strive to follow.

Alot of these things are intangibles that we can't evaluate properly not being around the team, but having said that, I guess some candidates that immediately come to mind for being captains are Gallagher, domi, and Petry.

Domi is probably too combustible. Gallagher seems to be a good candidate other than that the officials don't seem to like him, although that also seems to be changing for the positive. The main concern with a guy like Petry is probably whether the role would affect his own game.

Again, these are incomplete evaluations, but based on what he have heard by all accounts on Weber , it doesn't appear anyone checks off the boxes better than Weber for the habs.

Reactions: Lshap

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
"Hes not going to score many goals in the NHL thus he may not be as good a threat"

1-2-3

Thats Mete level offense so far
Ya 1 goal in 12 games vs 1 goal in 127 games is pretty much the same thing you are right. Also he has 6 points in 12 games which is also the same as Mete right?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Its tough to quantify leadership but just comparing the way we competed last year versus the previous season with Pacioretty its likeky that good leadership helped.

We played hard all season and did not fold under pressure often coming back in games.

To go from Galchenyuk to Domi helped a lot too both on ice and attitude wise. We might not have made the playoffs but I feel we got close to the max we could from our group.
Agreed. Price and Gallagher have been long-time leaders, Domi probably fires them up, but Weber being given the "C" after one season speaks to the respect people have for him. We don't know what happens behind the scenes and how much effect his leadership has, but that quality helps the team.

Reactions: angusyoung

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Woah there Brett Hull had an 85+ goal season and multiple 60/70, different era but still one of the best goal scorers the game has ever seen. I have no doubt Caufield will be an excellent sniper in the NHL but that is pumping his tires a bit too much.

Brett Hull 2.0...
giphy.gif

I have a friend who did a story on Brett Hull for Sports Illustrated early on in Hull's career, including interviewing Hull. He concluded Hull would have a 2nd rate career as he would never be that good. Lol. My friend didnt last as a sportswriter. Ha ha.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I have a friend who did a story on Brett Hull for Sports Illustrated early on in Hull's career, including interviewing Hull. He concluded Hull would have a 2nd rate career as he would never be that good. Lol. My friend didnt last as a sportswriter. Ha ha.
Another story about Hull was at the draft the new owner of the Sabres suggested they pick Hull as it would be a good publicity gimmick. His scouts basically told him to buzz off. I believe Calgary pick him 117th. Great late round steal

Habs picked Jim Nesich at 116

Reactions: yianik

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Another story about Hull was at the draft the new owner of the Sabres suggested they pick Hull as it would be a good publicity gimmick. His scouts basically told him to buzz off. I believe Calgary pick him 117th. Great late round steal

Habs picked Jim Nesich at 116

It would have been if they hung on to him. Ha ha ha.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
3 Leafs watching the puck while DeBrusk comes into the slot and taps it in. 2-1 Fall Foliage after one.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Weber is a tremendous steadying presence in the Locke room, that I don’t doubt. However the reason I’ve always found him overrated is the use of these intangibles to exaggerate just how good he really is/was.

I will always use the Ovechkin comparison, if it was ok to attack him for all those years for failing to get out of round 2, why is Weber so protected?

before I get “he’s not responsible for the team’s failings”, this is the same board where Carey Price got savaged by a certain group of posters in 2017 despite posting a 1.86 GAA and a .933 save % in the playoffs.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Weber is a tremendous steadying presence in the Locke room, that I don’t doubt. However the reason I’ve always found him overrated is the use of these intangibles to exaggerate just how good he really is/was.

I will always use the Ovechkin comparison, if it was ok to attack him for all those years for failing to get out of round 2, why is Weber so protected?

before I get “he’s not responsible for the team’s failings”, this is the same board where Carey Price got savaged by a certain group of posters in 2017 despite posting a 1.86 GAA and a .933 save % in the playoffs.
Voila!

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
here's my early hot take. Leafs of course have the incredible top end talent, but i don't see them as legitimate. Maybe it's the coaching / system. maybe their lack of talent on D, maybe their lack of grit...
boston: elite top 3 and then meh outside debrusk and an ageing Krecji. very, very good D and the best goalie tandem in the league - and a coach who plays to their strength.
I believe habs have better forward depth than both teams BUT not the elite forwards yet. Price is very good, kinkaid = unknown. Our D is probably on par or slightly better than toronto and worse than boston.
I see us surpassing boston within 2 years max and we'll stay with TO because they have 40 mill tied up in 4 forwards

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Babcock has had several years to put some structure in the Leafs, it's still lacking imho. Trotz and his coaches achieved that in one season with the Islanders. More then anything, I find Bruins play as a team as well as anyone. The Habs have been getting better at that too.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

The difference is that Ovi had a top ten team for ten years, Weber had a bottom ten team for ten years.

Weber is closer to Tavares, career wise.

Reactions: JAPPO

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Score aside this is one of those perfect Leafs/Bruins games to watch. Bruins are just toying with them out there but also beating themselves with a lack of discipline with the puck on their sticks

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Subban is flashy and nothing else?

Seriously - no skill, no impact, just flash? So his entire career is a grift?

You really aren't helping your credibility.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: take it that way , you're right
Of course he's super skilled and he's a game breaker ( well...i am not sure he's still one) .
My point wasn't about the skills of the players in their prime but about what they could bring now that they are both in the downside of their career . An old Weber will still bring leadership, a big presence and he will be a great mentor . But once Subban isn't enough fast to play his kind of game, he won't be the guy you wish around your team to help the youngsters .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad