Injury Report: Out of Town Thread Part XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wtf is going on with the Tampa Bay lightnings

PP/PK... ranked 14th/29th right now (Last year they were 1st on both). This team is decent 5/5 but they burn you on the PP. Right now, they are not as deadly as they were last year. And their PK stinks like ours.

At 5/5 Tampa ranks 17th at the moment. Last year they were 2nd.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Except he inherited a team that actually had all the pieces to build a cup contender.

Didn't have all the pieces but they had a lot in the right places. Problem they have is they have a bad team D and they overpaid on their 3 young kids. You don't say no to Tavares but that cap space (or Nylander) should be used on a D.

They lack physical strength on the back end. Decent skaters and puck movers but when the going gets rough, no team fears their D. They are lucky Andersen is a good one... I was shocked to see he 30 today. Though he was more like 26 or 27 ish.

If Andersen ask for $9M AAV (he should), they will have major headaches. Rielly coming too.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Didn't have all the pieces but they had a lot in the right places. Problem they have is they have a bad team D and they overpaid on their 3 young kids. You don't say no to Tavares but that cap space (or Nylander) should be used on a D.

They lack physical strength on the back end. Decent skaters and puck movers but when the going gets rough, no team fears their D. They are lucky Andersen is a good one... I was shocked to see he 30 today. Though he was more like 26 or 27 ish.

If Andersen ask for $9M AAV (he should), they will have major headaches. Rielly coming too.
The Tavares signing is still baffling. I get it, if you can get an asset like that for free, you have to sign him. But there is no room on a roster for 3 franchise level salaries in your top 6, plus a well paid second line W.

If you must sign tavares, then one of Matthews or Marner has to go.

Reactions: Tighthead

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You guys were 1/8 on the PP and still *****ing about the refs screwing you. Pittsburgh is winning without Malkin. Like I said, the Laffs are an average team. Just because they have 4 grossly overpaid players doesn't make them good, it just confirms that Dubas is stupid and got taken to the cleaners. Your record is below .500 in the last 50 games going back to last year when pyjama boy was healthy. You are not that good, get over it. :nod:

I'm not the Leafs (or a Leafs fan)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Tavares signing is still baffling. I get it, if you can get an asset like that for free, you have to sign him. But there is no room on a roster for 3 franchise level salaries in your top 6, plus a well paid second line W.

If you must sign tavares, then one of Matthews or Marner has to go.

I think it would look better if they traded Nylander for Pesce and a pick. Traded a 1st to get Muzzin and might not have room to bring him back. Traded a 1st to get rid of Marleau. Traded a 2nd for Pleky the rental. Prospect pool is very thin and they have massive issues on D with very little cap space. Pressure is at a all time high.

Giving the GM job to a kid at the most important time in decades for them was not smart.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Except he inherited a team that actually had all the pieces to build a cup contender.
Id pick the team BErgevin inherited everyday of the week over what Dubas had.

Pacioretty, Subban, Markov, Price, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Plekanec, Cole, Beaulieu, Leblanc, Tinordi, Kristo, Emelin
vs
Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly, JVR, Kadri, Gardiner, Kapanen, Jonnsson, Liljegren

IDK but I feel like group one is much stronger even if that 2nd group has that ever elusive 1C.

Reactions: DAChampion

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Pacioretty, Subban, Markov, Price, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Plekanec, Cole, Beaulieu, Leblanc, Tinordi, Kristo, Emelin
vs
Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly, JVR, Kadri, Gardiner, Kapanen, Jonnsson, Liljegren

IDK but I feel like group one is much stronger even if that 2nd group has that ever elusive 1C.
Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly, + a willing UFA in JT is infinitely better than that 2013 core.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

vs

I'd say that the Toronto team is better, but, Bergevin had a better context because The Atlantic division was incredibly weak, enabling him to cakewalk to a division championship every year.

In contrast, Toronto has to face fierce adversaries in the form of the Bruins, the Lightning, and now the Sabres. They will never have an easy or moderate path to the conference finals.

Reactions: Amerika

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'd say that the Toronto team is better, but, Bergevin had a better context because The Atlantic division was incredibly weak, enabling him to cakewalk to a division championship every year.

In contrast, Toronto has to face fierce adversaries in the form of the Bruins, the Lightning, and now the Sabres. They will never have an easy or moderate path to the conference finals.
In those years whoever came out of the East was getting rolled by either Chicago or Los Angeles.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I don't think it was a cake walk to winning divisions. Bruins just finished winning a cup in 11 and were right behind us in 12/13. Both the Bruins and Tampa finished ahead of us in 13/14. We won the division ahead of Tampa in 14/15. And then fell flat on our face with injury seasons to some of our best players. Not talking about one month long injuries. Talking about multiple season ending injuries in 2 of 3 seasons. Won the division again in 16/17 with the Sens and Bruins behind us.

Habs didn't have the strength where it's most important.... Center! We didn't have the prospects to use to get one in a trade either. Biggest mistake we made in 12/13 was yet another rebound/pride year. Same like last season.

Interesting stat I just looked up from 12/13 to today...
- 11th in points
- 20th in goals for
- 8th in goals against
- 28th in PP
- 17th in PK

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly, + a willing UFA in JT is infinitely better than that 2013 core.
He didn't inherit Tavares, he convinced him to come over. Who did MB convince ? Karl Alzner.

I also disagree on the core, and there was clearly more value on the Habs side, MB just let the value drop down until there was none on too many assets. Fact is, the Leafs don't have players as good as Subban and Price. MB inherited the best goaltender, the best two defenders, he inherited a center prospect that had similar value to Matthews at the start of his career, luckily he didn't lose all his value and turned him into a bonafide top 30 C.

Just looking at it
Subban >>> Rielly
Price >>> Andersen
Galchenyuk =< Matthews
Pacioretty < Marner
Eller = Kadri
Markov = ?
Gallagher = Kapanen
Plekanec = ?
Cole <<< JVR
Beaulieu = Liljegren
Leblanc > Korskov
Tinordi = Dermott
Kristo = Jonsson
Emelin > Zaitsev

There was just way more value on MTL's side and thats all that matters.

In those years whoever came out of the East was getting rolled by either Chicago or Los Angeles.

Would've been nice to get there.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't think it was a cake walk to winning divisions. Bruins just finished winning a cup in 11 and were right behind us in 12/13. Both the Bruins and Tampa finished ahead of us in 13/14. We won the division ahead of Tampa in 14/15. And then fell flat on our face with injury seasons to some of our best players. Not talking about one month long injuries. Talking about multiple season ending injuries in 2 of 3 seasons. Won the division again in 16/17 with the Sens and Bruins behind us.

Habs didn't have the strength where it's most important.... Center! We didn't have the prospects to use to get one in a trade either. Biggest mistake we made in 12/13 was yet another rebound/pride year. Same like last season.

Interesting stat I just looked up from 12/13 to today...
- 11th in points
- 20th in goals for
- 22nd in goals against
- 28th in PP
- 17th in PK

You took the GA backward. It's 8th among teams who played all the seasons since 2012-2013 (less is better here).

Considering how high we are ranked in GA i would say the rest is pretty unimpressive. In fact most of the teams who did better in GA reached the scf once. They are Boston, LA, Stl, Anaheim, Wild, Preds and Caps.

I was a big advocate of our team is more than just Price 4-5 years ago but i must say i was wrong. It was Price.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You took the GA backward. It's 8th among teams who played all the seasons since 2012-2013 (less is better here).

Considering how high we are in GA i would say the rest is pretty unimpressive. In fact most of the teams who did better in GA reached the scf once. They are Boston, LA, Stl, Anaheim, Wild, Preds and Caps.

My bad. I will fix.

I don't think 11th OA in points is bad considering those two disaster seasons with Price hurt. If you ask me what I though before I checked it out, I would of not said 11th. More like 15-20 range.

Just interesting to see where we fall. It kind of makes me worry more about this middle of the pack strategy Bergevin got. Sell on Weber, Tatar and Byron in the next 12 months please. Lets double down on our youth movement and reinforce our probability of hitting on prospects. Stock pile a group in a 10 year age range.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Its not so much about the strength of the thing but the value they had when they came in. Galchenyuk was seen as THE bluechip prospect in the NHL. He could've literally traded him for almost anything and GMs would have said yes. He was viewed as a phenom and most thought he was the best player in the 2012 draft, the only thing that brought down his value was the knee injury. Once he came back and dominated the OHL at a 2.00 ppg pace and then put up a 50 points pace in the NHL on the third line, that dissipated quickly.

Its hard to remember but these pieces were absolute blue-chips back then. Beaulieu was seen as a top 10 pick coming in his draft year and he had two great seasons, Leblanc posted a .5 ppg in his stint in the NHL, Tinordi was doing good, Pacioretty was a 23 years old 30 goal scorer, Gallagher just came back from dominating the WHL and earned himself a calder nomination, Subban won the Norris in 12-13, Eller was 20 and just had a really strong sophomore season, etc.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Would've been nice to get there.
We were very close.

price.jpg

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
My bad. I will fix.

I don't think 11th OA in points is bad considering those two disaster seasons with Price hurt. If you ask me what I though before I checked it out, I would of not said 11th. More like 15-20 range.

Yeah but without Price's injuries we would probably rank top 5 maybe even top 3 in GA. We are just 77 goals away from the 3rd position and 33 goals away from the 5th position in GA. I mean with this kind of GA performance you should imo come closer to win a cup than we did.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Its not so much about the strength of the thing but the value they had when they came in. Galchenyuk was seen as THE bluechip prospect in the NHL. He could've literally traded him for almost anything and GMs would have said yes. He was viewed as a phenom and most thought he was the best player in the 2012 draft, the only thing that brought down his value was the knee injury. Once he came back and dominated the OHL at a 2.00 ppg pace and then put up a 50 points pace in the NHL on the third line, that dissipated quickly.

Its hard to remember but these pieces were absolute blue-chips back then. Beaulieu was seen as a top 10 pick coming in his draft year and he had two great seasons, Leblanc posted a .5 ppg in his stint in the NHL, Tinordi was doing good, Pacioretty was a 23 years old 30 goal scorer, Gallagher just came back from dominating the WHL and earned himself a calder nomination, Subban won the Norris in 12-13, Eller was 20 and just had a really strong sophomore season, etc.

Yeah, trade Galchenyuk as a potential center and steal away another team's center. Maybe we could of got Carter or ROR? But not so sure that was a smart move.

Who would you trade Kotkaniemi for today if you feel he won't turn into what we think? What center would you try to steal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah but without Price's injuries we would probably rank top 5 maybe even top 3 in GA. We are just 77 goals away from the 3rd position and 33 goals away from the 5th position in GA. I mean with this kind of GA performance you should imo come closer to win a cup than we did.

How were we getting that center? Galchenyuk wasn't the guy. Put aside Bergevin for a second. What parts do we use to get ROR or Carter when they were traded? We had peanuts to use at the negotiation table. Unless you had foresight and used Galchenyuk?

We had solid parts but were very weak at the most important position. I think any GM struggles in that same position. Unless they are brilliant at predicting the future on Galchenyuk and we traded him before there was disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad