Out of Town Thread Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hey, what happened to Gritty? Flyers twitter now featuring the anti-thesis of Gritty ...

Reactions: DAChampion

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jeez, to think that an athlete is training in the off season to get ready for the regular season and this happens ...

Maybe he should have surrounded himself with a village of experts like Jeff Skinner did.

Even then, accidents happen, I suppose. I wonder what he was doing when it happened.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Jeez, to think that an athlete is training in the off season to get ready for the regular season and this happens ...

Maybe he should have surrounded himself with a village of experts like Jeff Skinner did.

Even then, accidents happen, I suppose. I wonder what he was doing when it happened.

Joni Ikonen got injured in off-season training last year, too. He missed nearly the entire Liiga season in Finland. Pacioretty also got hurt in off-season training one year and if I recall, he missed the start of the season.

When back in the day, players would show up to camp to get in shape, these days, they work so hard in the off-season to show up in shape. And these kinds of injuries are more common in the off-season.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Joni Ikonen got injured in off-season training last year, too. He missed nearly the entire Liiga season in Finland. Pacioretty also got hurt in off-season training one year and if I recall, he missed the start of the season.

When back in the day, players would show up to camp to get in shape, these days, they work so hard in the off-season to show up in shape. And these kinds of injuries are more common in the off-season.

I wonder how much of it is due to not being advised and followed by the right people (nutrition/personal trainers etc.) and then, possibly not giving their bodies enough rest given how gruelling an NHL season is already.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The three teams who have gone the longest without winning a playoff series...

Florida 1996
Toronto 2004
Buffalo 2007

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
In the next five years the Habs' most formidable competition will come from Florida and Tampa, not Boston. Toronto is tooself-satisfied but ther elimination by Boston should open their eyes.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The three teams who have gone the longest without winning a playoff series...

Florida 1996
Toronto 2004
Buffalo 2007

Mind boggling that a team can go 23 years without winning a series.

They haven't won since they actually played in Miami.

Imagine the habs not winning a series ever at bell center since it opened in 1996. That's pretty much the same time period we are talking about with Florida.... Back when the likes of turgeon, damphousse, recchi, and Thibault played for the habs.

Good lord.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Imagine the habs not winning a series ever at bell center since it opened in 1996. That's pretty much the same time period we are talking about with Florida.... Back when the likes of turgeon, damphousse, recchi, and Thibault played for the habs.

Good lord.

That was the year the Panthers made it to the Stanley Cup Finals when they lost to Colorado. Since then, not a single playoff series win.

Reactions: jaffy27

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Good lord.

Just imagine a team not reaching the final once in 26 years. Oh wait that's us actually.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

The estimated recovery time for an injury like this is over half a year. He's expected to miss most of the season even if he recovers well. That absolutely blows as he looked ready to take on a full time NHL spot.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I guess I’m the only one who doesn’t care how many playoff appearances or series wins we have last 10, 20, 30, 40+ years? I only care about the cup. I guess I am fortunate to have lived through 10 and actually watched 3 which may skew my expectations.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I guess I’m the only one who doesn’t care how many playoff appearances or series wins we have last 10, 20, 30, 40+ years? I only care about the cup. I guess I am fortunate to have lived through 10 and actually watched 3 which may skew my expectations.

I take what I like to see as a realistic view.

I don't expect the Habs to win the Cup, I merely expect them to be a strong playoff team.

I have seen that in 2008, 2010, 2014, and 2015.

Gainey inherited a bad team and thus had a lot of work to do. Gauthier was a mediocre GM, and Bergevin inherited a strong team but has been mostly terrible.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I take what I like to see as a realistic view.

I don't expect the Habs to win the Cup, I merely expect them to be a strong playoff team.

I have seen that in 2008, 2010, 2014, and 2015.

Gainey inherited a bad team and thus had a lot of work to do. Gauthier was a mediocre GM, and Bergevin inherited a strong team but has been mostly terrible.

Yeah, I know I'm completely unreasonable and out of touch maybe. At my core, I think I'm much like you in terms of expectations. Guess I should hope for anything given the last 4 seasons specifically.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
And even that is a crappy record. Let’s not judge ourselves against the worst to make ourselves feel good.

That's not really the objective here.

I see a couple posts here that imply that Montreal or I are defending the habs by bringing up the panthers lack of a playoff series win in nearly a quarter century.

I've done nothing of the sort, and there's nothing in Montreal's post to suggest he's doing it either.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So Flames' Valimaki blew his ACL and is out for a while... TSN says it dealt Flames' D a big blow.
Enter Alzner, Karl. Who's Flames' top line center?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I looked this up a couple years ago and Montreal has played more playoff games in the last 20 than most teams in the NHL and I think all of Canada.

Maybe that was true after we went to the semis for the 2nd time in 5 years but it's not true anymore.

Since 98-99 mtl rank 16th in the league (ex-quo with Nashville) for the most playoffs games. 6 of the 16 teams behind us were either not in the league in 98-99 (expansion teams and transferred teams) or exited the league before 2018-2019 (Thrashers). So basically 10 teams behind us and 15 in front of us.

Not even middle of the pack. More like at the top of the bottom. Certainly not something to be proud of specially considering the goal of this team is to just make the playoffs where everything is poshible instead of managing assets to win the cup.

Also Ottawa has more playoffs games than us the last 20 years. Toronto and Canucks are close behind with 4 and 6 games less played respectively. Toronto could pass us next year. If we miss the playoffs again next year we might drop to 18th. Also we are not really close to the team in front of US. We need 18 games to climb to position 15.

Since after we won our last cup we are 16th for the most playoffs games too. Behind both Ottawa and Vancouver and only leading Toronto by 1 game. Again nothing to be proud of. Yep guys we have just 1 more playoffs game played than Toronto since 92-93 ... we should really stop laughing at Toronto imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
And even that is a crappy record. Let’s not judge ourselves against the worst to make ourselves feel good.

you are making it out to be more then what I said, all I said was we won 9 series. In no way was I saying anything other then the number is 9 as the poster said another team had 0 so I posted what our number was.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I looked this up a couple years ago and Montreal has played more playoff games in the last 20 than most teams in the NHL and I think all of Canada.

y0u realize that in the past "couple of years" (4) we've played a total of 6 playoff games...
in that span:

Jets 23 games
Flames 9 games
Laffs 20 games
Senators 19 games
Oilers 13 games

you might want to look it up again ;)

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
So Flames' Valimaki blew his ACL and is out for a while... TSN says it dealt Flames' D a big blow.
Enter Alzner, Karl. Who's Flames' top line center?
Calgary has Kylington as the bottom pair LD and have Davidson, Valiev and Nielsen who could be the spare dmen or Calgary could sign Phaneuf to a 1 year deal. I dont think the Flames need to make a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad