Out of Town thread. Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'd rather hang onto Alzner right now. Buyout or trade in a year's time maybe. Buyout now doesn't make financial sense for the team.

If you expect to trade him, i hope you are ready to give up something like Suzuki cause it ain't going to happen, and yes it does make sense to buy him out right away.

2 teams today boughout players that could still play in the NHL.....Alzner has a hard time in the AHL

AntiCHrice

Mar 30, 2016
If you expect to trade him, i hope you are ready to give up something like Suzuki cause it ain't going to happen, and yes it does make sense to buy him out right away.

2 teams today boughout players that could still play in the NHL.....Alzner has a hard time in the AHL

You buy out players when you need cap space. Its not the case atm. Next season might be a different story.

AntiCHrice

Mar 30, 2016
Buying him out next year won't save you 1$, in fact will cost you more.
And we always need cap space...unless it's the excuse Bergevin will use for not getting any help.

If you buy him right now you'll have him on your cap space for the next 6 years. That 6th year will disappear if you buy him next year instead, saving you over 1M$ of cap space.

Reactions: WG

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If you buy him right now you'll have him on your cap space for the next 6 years. That 6th year will disappear if you buy him next year instead, saving you over 1M$ of cap space.

If you buy him next years, he will be on the cap for the next 5 years instead of 6 years.

Do you value the 1m he will cost in 6 years from now more than the 3.5m you'll save this year?

Sure seems like it

WG

Sep 9, 2008
If you buy him next years, he will be on the cap for the next 5 years instead of 6 years.

Do you value the 1m he will cost in 6 years from now more than the 3.5m you'll save this year?

Sure seems like it
Unless Bergevin signs a major UFA, I don't see how we'll need the cap space in 2019-20. Team has 11M in cap room now, with a full 23-man roster. Two RFA contracts left to go, at most Armia and Lehkonen get 6M combined, but then you bump two guys off the 23-man roster so you get 2M cap space back. Send Alzner to the AHL and save another 1M, that leaves 8M to fill one defense spot. Unless that one defenseman is Karlsson, I don't see the team adding a D for 8M+.

If you buy Alzner out now, the cap hit savings are 3.6M, 400K, and 2.2M, but then it's three years paying 1.1M on the cap in years 6, 7, and 8 of Alzner's 5-year contract.

If you buy Alzner out next year, it's two years spread into 4. This year (the 5th year you allude to), Alzner costs 3.6M at a time when the Habs aren't likely to need the cap. I don't care if the team starts this coming year 2M under or 6M under, there's little value in being that far below.

Buy Alzner out next year, the cap savings/penalty over four years are save 667K, save 2.7M, then pay 833K for two years, and you get out from under the contract a year earlier.

Where I think a trade is possible, Alzner gets a signing bonus next July, after which time he's owed 5M in cash over two years. If Habs retain 50%, you might find a taker for Alzner when his cash payment is 2 years, 2.5M total. That isn't going to cost a major asset to unload. Do this and the team washes it's hands of Alzner's cap hit when his contract ends.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Unless Bergevin signs a major UFA, I don't see how we'll need the cap space in 2019-20. Team has 11M in cap room now, with a full 23-man roster. Two RFA contracts left to go, at most Armia and Lehkonen get 6M combined, but then
Yearou bump two guys off the 23-man roster so you get 2M cap space back. Send Alzner to the AHL and save another 1M, that leaves 8M to fill one defense spot. Unless that one defenseman is Karlsson, I don't see the team adding a D for 8M+.

If you buy Alzner out now, the cap hit savings are 3.6M, 400K, and 2.2M, but then it's three years paying 1.1M on the cap in years 6, 7, and 8 of Alzner's 5-year contract.

If you buy Alzner out next year, it's two years spread into 4. This year (the 5th year you allude to), Alzner costs 3.6M at a time when the Habs aren't likely to need the cap. I don't care if the team starts this coming year 2M under or 6M under, there's little value in being that far below.

Buy Alzner out next year, the cap savings/penalty over four years are save 667K, save 2.7M, then pay 833K for two years, and you get out from under the contract a year earlier.

Where I think a trade is possible, Alzner gets a signing bonus next July, after which time he's owed 5M in cash over two years. If Habs retain 50%, you might find a taker for Alzner when his cash payment is 2 years, 2.5M total. That isn't going to cost a major asset to unload. Do this and the team washes it's hands of Alzner's cap hit when his contract ends.

In 6 years from now, when the Cap will probably be around 100M$.....does this extra million will hurt as much as losing $3,5M this year when the cap is $83M.

The buyout period ends on June 30th.....and i would prefer to go into the UFA market with as much money as possible and i wouldn't hold 3.5M in hostage because i don't want to pay 1M$ penalty in 6 years from now.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
In 6 years from now, when the Cap will probably be around 100M$.....does this extra million will hurt as much as losing $3,5M this year when the cap is $83M.

The buyout period ends on June 30th.....and i would prefer to go into the UFA market with as much money as possible and i wouldn't hold 3.5M in hostage because i don't want to pay 1M$ penalty in 6 years from now.

Maybe not 100 but higher enough that 1 million is basically peanuts. I agree with your point.

AntiCHrice

Mar 30, 2016

Sure seems like it

If you buy him next year he'll be on the book for 4 years...not 5. My thought process is quite simple. If you don't need the cap space this year you wait

AntiCHrice

Mar 30, 2016

I'm pretty sure there'll be another buyout period right after the RFA hearings

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If you buy him next year he'll be on the book for 4 years...not 5. My thought process is quite simple. If you don't need the cap space this year you wait

His buyout will be 4 years, but he will be on the cap 5 years from now because you still have to include this year. I assume that's what the other poster meant.

Reactions: Milhouse40

AntiCHrice

Mar 30, 2016
His buyout will be 4 years, but he will be on the cap 5 years from now because you still have to include this year. I assume that's what the other poster meant.

Nope. If you buy him now its 6 years. If you buy next year its 4/ The rule is simple its twice the term left

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

Thumbs up from the Pens board, opposite from the Hawks board.

Pens got some cap room, a forward that had a pretty good rookie year.

I liked Maata but injuries have stalled his career. After getting swept would imagine Pens will be active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->