Out of Town thread. Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The issue here is everyone knows the Leafs are beyond desperate. I doubt they ever get top value for him compared to what he's worth. Dubas is why you don't hire HF board posters to GM a team, I think.

How is it worse then hiring guys like Bergevin?

Reactions: the

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
The issue here is everyone knows the Leafs are beyond desperate. I doubt they ever get top value for him compared to what he's worth. Dubas is why you don't hire HF board posters to GM a team, I think.

Is it really that much worse than hiring ex-players ( houle, gainey, bergevin...). How has that worked out for us ?

Reactions: Sorinth

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Greedy? Dubas ****ed up and gave Matthews exactly what he wanted. How is marner, who has led the team in points two years in a row, supposed to want any less?

Dubas caves to nylander
Dubas caves to Matthews

And HE is supposed to cave?

At this point the leafs would be better suited to trade him for a top d and depth. They’d still have one of the best 1-2 centres in the league.

This.

Imagine what Arizona would give for Mathews who hates Babcock anyways and need a local star to draw fans.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Pretty sure some people here would do better. Actually, pretty sure a few of us have more managerial experience than Bergevin ever did before becoming a GM.
Dubas is a moron. His deal with Nylander was ridiculous, and he went after Tavares when he really didn't need anymore offense. The moment he did that he should have realized he chose those guys over Marner and it was limited days for him. He should have planned trading him since then. He didn't.
If he feels he made a mistake and wants Marner then he needs to move Tavares or Matthews.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Shanahan and Dubas messed it all up when they signed Tavares as far as im concerned......they should of been saving that money for their top three and some defence........hahahaha love it!

Reactions: Justin11

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
No way, you sign Tavares for sure.
I agree. Imo, the problem was giving Nylander what he wanted. He should have traded him for defense. Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Johnsson and Kapanen is a killer top-6 already, fill the rest with good depth and youre good to go.

Reactions: LaP and WG

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree. Imo, the problem was giving Nylander what he wanted. He should have traded him for defense. Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Johnsson and Kapanen is a killer top-6 already, fill the rest with good depth and youre good to go.
I'd trade Nylander for D help. They could get a lot for him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Man, Marner is a greedy little boy.

Can't lie, Dubas is dumb as rocks. I wasn't expecting him to be this bad, but man am I enjoying watching this unravel.
Not greedy whatsoever, he wants his fair market share. Toronto had to have Tavares...now they have to find a way to keep a rising young superstar. They didn’t think ahead

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Last evening, Kyle Dubas told the press that the Leafs might not match another club's offer sheet as a bit of posturing aimed at the Marner camp.

If Dubas is unable to free up cap space by trading Marleau, Zaitsev and Kadri, signing Marner to a minimum $11M annual salary would be problematic. The consensus is that Auston Matthews is the Leafs' poster boy and Marner should not expect to be paid more than Matthews.

Competing GMs will be vilified by their peers (e.g. Oilers Kevin Lowe was drawn and quartered by Ducks GM Brian Burke for that Dustin Penner offer sheet) should they give offer sheets so don't expect a flurry of offer sheets. Perhaps one or two at most.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Player salary expectations in the NHL have outgrown the cap. That's the problem with sports that have a salary cap. Price at $10.5M, Marner wants over $11M. It's not just the Leafs, watch the chaos with the rest of the league as well. Unless the NHL gets a sliding cap like MLB or the NBA, it will have issues going forward.

Reactions: cphabs

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I've had high hopes for Burakovsky for some time now but I'm just not sure he has much more upside than what we've seen.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'd trade Nylander for D help. They could get a lot for him.

It's shocking, & silly, how heavy some are dumping on them right now...

The reality is that 3 years ago they were coming off of back to back sub-70pt seasons.
Right now, they are back to back 100pt seasons, 3 straight playoffs with two straight game 7 playoff losses (as disappointing as the first round exits are, their 8 playoff wins in 3 yrs is more than we've had in 5).

Their biggest problem right now is that they have too much elite talent to afford them all, whereas we're on our third straight year with cap space to burn and nothing close to the elite talent, outside of Price, that they have.

Dubas has difficult decisions to make, to be sure, and how he navigates the wealth of talent he has to work with to push his team further towards a cup will determine how good he is as a GM.... But it's absolutely laughable that some of the same posters who preach patience for our terrible GM & his 8 years of ineptness (preaching that "we're on the right track") are some of the same who are ready to bury Dubas after 2 years :laugh::help:

I hate the laffs, and hope Dubas screws things up royally.... Cuz if he's even half as "good" as MB has been, we'll be staring up at them for years to come :baghead:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
That Marleau deal is just crushing them right now, and that’s not on Dubas.

Those are the deals that kill you.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's shocking, & silly, how heavy some are dumping on them right now...

The reality is that 3 years ago they were coming off of back to back sub-70pt seasons.
Right now, they are back to back 100pt seasons, 3 straight playoffs with two straight game 7 playoff losses (as disappointing as the first round exits are, their 8 playoff wins in 3 yrs is more than we've had in 5).

Their biggest problem right now is that they have too much elite talent to afford them all, whereas we're on our third straight year with cap space to burn and nothing close to the elite talent, outside of Price, that they have.

Dubas has difficult decisions to make, to be sure, and how he navigates the wealth of talent he has to work with to push his team further towards a cup will determine how good he is as a GM.... But it's absolutely laughable that some of the same posters who preach patience for our terrible GM & his 8 years of ineptness (preaching that "we're on the right track") are some of the same who are ready to bury Dubas after 2 years :laugh::help:

I hate the laffs, and hope Dubas screws things up royally.... Cuz if he's even half as "good" as MB has been, we'll be staring up at them for years to come :baghead:
Summed up this way: They have problems we wish we had.

And it's crazy that some people are saying that they were wrong to sign Tavares.... meanwhile we've got guys here arguing for us to sign Duchene for ten.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Summed up this way: They have problems we wish we had.

And it's crazy that some people are saying that they were wrong to sign Tavares.... meanwhile we've got guys here arguing for us to sign Duchene for ten.
I'd rather Duchene for ten than nobody for nothing. But I agree with you that you sign Tavares with your eyes closed no matter how good of a team you are. Worst comes to worst, you trade a surplus asset and improve on a position you lack (e.g.: Nylander could go in favor for defense). As for the Habs, I would very much take Duchene for 10 - he's great in the playoffs, one of the best for faceoffs, etc.

Jul 6, 2016
I want Chiasson and Chiarot. That's it. A big 3rd or 4th line RW with a scoring touch, and a reliable and big LD man for the third pairing. They got already the Ch in their names.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
That shouldn't be the choice though... it shouldn't be binary.

We have ten mil and we should spend it wisely. It shouldn't just be Duchene or bust.
The problem with Bergevin is he usually booms or busts. With Duchene we're sure not to bust. I'd rather that than Bergevin attempting to sign people like Wayne Simmonds, Ben Lovejoy, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->