Cap space saving move for the Caps.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Let the trades begin!

First domino falls post Stanley Cup.

It will be weird seeing Gudas in a Caps jersey :laugh:

Cap space saving move for the Caps.

Not To mention, Flyers retaining 30% on Gudas.

I dont understand this deal from the Flyers perspective to be honest.

Reactions: Tuggy

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

They probably hope Niskanen can still play like his old self. He's "just" 32 and a half (1 year older than Petry) and he used to be a solid 2nd pairing dman. Wont happen though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
They probably hope Niskanen can still play like his old self. He's "just" 32 and a half (1 year older than Petry) and he used to be a solid 2nd pairing dman.

My issue with this is not about Niskanen, but about Gudas, who seems to have been exactly that without anyone noticing.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
They probably hope Niskanen can still play like his old self. He's "just" 32 and a half (1 year older than Petry) and he used to be a solid 2nd pairing dman. Wont happen though.

I haven't seen Niskanen play lately but I thought he was still good?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I haven't seen Niskanen play lately but I thought he was still good?

Oh, he can probably still play 20 minutes a game of decent hockey. You probably dont want him on the ice for more tha on that, and he's probably not going to get any better.

But you who can also give you exactly that? Radko Gudas. For cheaper, even without the 30% retention.

Gudas' deal ends in 19-20 though, so that "might" play here.

Jul 6, 2016

Flyers needed another puck moving, offensive D-Man....because they gonna trade Ghost ....to the Habs !!!!!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Flyers needed another puck moving, offensive D-Man....because they gonna trade Ghost ....to the Habs !!!!!

In which case, they probably should've targeted someone else than Matt Niskanen.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Gudas is also cheaper (A LOT, especially with Philly retaining 30%) and might just be the better player in that deal.
Yeah I dont see the incentive for Philly to make this move 1 for 1 with cap retention too. You would think they would at least get a pick too fir taking on the player with the much higher cap hit.

Reactions: MXD

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Gudas is also cheaper (A LOT, especially with Philly retaining 30%) and might just be the better player in that deal.
Not only that, his contract ends in one year. Niskanen had an extra year of term that can impact the re-signing of Backstrom. They clearly have faith in Jensen to be able to fill Niskanen's minutes. I like this for Caps, lot more positives as the player they gave up wasn't exactly playing as well as expected/as cap hit.

With Gudas, they can get rid of Orpik without worrying about giving up grit.

Reactions: MXD

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Flyers getting top4 rhd is music to my ears. Ghost trade is now a lot more probable as I think Philippe Myers will play top 4 for Flyers next season.

For those who think Ghost would be forced out of position on left side, he has played left is entire life before Flyers lack of rhd. He can play both sides really well.
Make it happen. It would enhance what is already one of the fastest and quickest transition team and transform the PP into a very dangerous one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad