Out of Town thread. Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Expansion draft was two years ago..... You cannot fix something like that within only two seasons, either.

I did not write any excuses. You misread my post.
Why did we have to "fix" anything? It was because our GM blew up a pretty good young core.

Moreover, why make the Weber trade (a win it now move) if you aren't going to follow it up?

And yes you're making excuses.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why did we have to "fix" anything? It was because our GM blew up a pretty good young core.

Moreover, why make the Weber trade (a win it now move) if you aren't going to follow it up?

And yes you're making excuses.

Weber for Subban was questionable cause it was a RD for a RD who was 4 years older but aside from that, how did our GM "blew up a pretty good young core". You keep saying this but it was Price, Subban, Patch, Gallagher, and Galchenyuk as our 3rd OA pick.

Where did he blow up things?

Reactions: Acadien86

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Weber for Subban was questionable cause it was a RD for a RD who was 4 years older but aside from that, how did our GM "blew up a pretty good young core". You keep saying this but it was Price, Subban, Patch, Gallagher, and Galchenyuk as our 3rd OA pick.

Where did he blow up things?
This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Going to be really interesting to see how Holland does over there.

He's got a good reputation though he struggled once the cap came in. But that Edmonton team is really messed up with cap issues and immoveable contracts.

I don't know if Holland will succeed there. But I think if anything, he'll help bring structure to that front office. That department has been a s#!t show for too long.

And I also think Tippet will help bring structure to the on ice product. I just don't think they have enough on-ice personnel to pull it off other than a few of their top end guys.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know if Holland will succeed there. But I think if anything, he'll help bring structure to that front office. That department has been a s#!t show for too long.

And I also think Tippet will help bring structure to the on ice product. I just don't think they have enough on-ice personnel to pull it off other than a few of their top end guys.

Are you surprised about the Keith Gretzky hiring? I thought Holland was going to bring with him more people that he's worked with before.

No question, Tippett is a great hire. I didn't think he'd be on the market for so long.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Are you surprised about the Keith Gretzky hiring? I thought Holland was going to bring with him more people that he's worked with before.

No question, Tippett is a great hire. I didn't think he'd be on the market for so long.

I don't know enough about Gretzky. But I think he was in the amateur side of things for Edmonton before. And apparently, he will be Assistant GM but be more in the amateur scouting department (like Timmins in Montreal). And that he will also run the AHL team, Bakersfield Condors.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know enough about Gretzky. But I think he was in the amateur side of things for Edmonton before. And apparently, he will be Assistant GM but be more in the amateur scouting department (like Timmins in Montreal). And that he will also run the AHL team, Bakersfield Condors.

Fair enough. I just hope it was truly his own decision to hire him. Maybe the guy is really competent and it suited Holland.

Just figured with a team in shambles like that and ownership bringing in a GM with experience, that he'd want to make immediate changes so the team doesn't rely on the same individuals that brought them to where they are now.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Fair enough. I just hope it was truly his own decision to hire him. Maybe the guy is really competent and it suited Holland.

Just figured with a team in shambles like that and ownership bringing in a GM with experience, that he'd want to make immediate changes so the team doesn't rely on the same individuals that brought them to where they are now.

The thing about titles in NHL front offices is that they never really tell you who does what and how much input they have.

Running the Condors may be largely administrative. They may have wanted to keep him around for PR reasons with the idea that he can look for another job.

In and outside of sports, people who survive changeovers usually leave within a year

Reactions: Runner77

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Bergevin played 4 years in St. Louis. He had said that Chicago and Pittsburgh as the top 2 places he's played.
Playing with Pronger and MacInnis wasn't too bad either I would guess. Bergy said they still played great when he was injured (when asked about Markov or Subban being injured and how it did impact other defensemen in Montreal).
They had finished first (in the West, maybe overall) and were out by the end of 1st round.
Wonder if it the final would mean something to him? Don't think he wants a close rival to win the cup either...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Bergevin played 4 years in St. Louis. He had said that Chicago and Pittsburgh as the top 2 places he's played.
Playing with Pronger and MacInnis wasn't too bad either I would guess. Bergy said they still played great when he was injured (when asked about Markov or Subban being injured and how it did impact other defensemen in Montreal).
They had finished first (in the West, maybe overall) and were out by the end of 1st round.
Wonder if it the final would mean something to him? Don't think he wants a close rival to win the cup either...
I would think if someone had wore the sweater 4 years it would mean something. Seeing Gretzky there and he wasn't a Blue for very long, looks like it means something to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad