Out of Town Thread Part XVI: Gotta love Game 7 action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lol....I don’t think he lacks “Hunger” lol

I was made fun of but when he was in Europe, sipping back on wine, visiting the Louvre.....he’s not training when he’s out and about

Sure, 3 weeks off is fine.....but he needs to be in the gym 2 1/2 months.....maybe spend a month with a Mr.Miagi type dude, wake at 4am, use your feet and toes to do everything, eat rice only, train in the monsoons of Southeast Asia, walking through leech infested rivers........

Something more then squatting 4 plates with your shirt off in an outside gym in Etobicoke

Call is a bit of a distraction in terms of his focus. I think he trains harder than before this summer at his skating and comes into next season wanting to prove the doubters wrong.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think he might but it depends on how committed he is with his conditioning moving forward. He was not able to do this last off season and we all have seen him get caught flat footed towards the end of the year. Weber is not dump, he knows this as well.

Lets see how committed he is to improving his foot speed this off season now that his is healthy

I think that Weber is a committed athlete, and thus he should age gracefully.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Good last thing i want is a motivated subban facing us a bunch of times a year.
If Babcock is there I don't see them going after Subban. He didn't use him for Team Canada despite him being the reigning Norris winner.

And yes, Subban in TO would absolutely kill us.

He'd also kill Boston. He regularly destroyed them while with us. Even in his rookie callup he came close to knocking them off. Exactly the kind of guy TO needs to play against them - provided he's healthy of course.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Perfect timing for Subban to come back. Bergevin is gone, we have a new President and GM, and Subban replaces Weber cause he is 37 and retires. Price is still a top 10 NHL goalie at the age of 35 with 4 years left and Primeau behind him to pick up the slack. All of our current youth in their prime years.

However, if Bergevin is extended past his 2 year of term left (watch out for the uproar with some), Subban will not sign with the Habs. Subban loves the Habs but his issue is with Bergevin clearly
I cant help but think that unless the team makes a deep run before Bergevin's contract is up he is gone. He may have fixed some of his mistakes last offseason but the fact is the Habs should have been strong contenders during this tenure and Bergevin only has 3 series wins to his name in a 7 year span.

A guy like Joel Bouchard I can see being promoted as he has experience in both managing and coaching and would have a good sense of what is needed for a winning organization. Alternatively the Habs could look externally too.

Once a change happens I can see Subban coming back. He didnt want to leave, many of the players he supposedly had beef with are gone and he would have already enjoyed his time in the media spotlight of the US, he could focus his efforts on bringing the cup back to Montreal which would make him a legend.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think that Weber is a committed athlete, and thus he should age gracefully.

It's just harder with bigger players to maintain a level. I think he has it in him but he needs to realize that if he wants to play well into his mid to late 30's and still be a impact player, he needs to work harder at his foot speed and conditioning than he ever did before. If he does the same things in training as before, he runs the risks of minuscule year to year drop and by the time he is 36 or 37, he is a fringe top 4D guy and he won't be proud of playing in a role like this

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Blow a 3-1 series lead
Blow a 3-0 lead
Give up 4 PP goals in 4 minutes

Getting hosed

Chose one
Lesser of all those evils is the 4pp goals. At least they can complain that it was a bogus call - which is what it was.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I cant help but think that unless the team makes a deep run before Bergevin's contract is up he is gone. He may have fixed some of his mistakes last offseason but the fact is the Habs should have been strong contenders during this tenure and Bergevin only has 3 series wins to his name in a 7 year span.

A guy like Joel Bouchard I can see being promoted as he has experience in both managing and coaching and would have a good sense of what is needed for a winning organization. Alternatively the Habs could just look externally too. Once a change happens I can see Subban coming back. He didnt want to leave, many of the players he supposedly had beef with are gone and he would have already enjoyed his time in the media spotlight of the US, he could focus his efforts on bringing the cup back to Montreal which would make him a legend.

I think it comes down to Bergevin's latest plan on the reset and youth movement. If his youth movement continues to gain positive direction in the next two years, be prepared for an extension. It's not all about one deep playoff run. It's about direction and promise from the youth.

However, they need to make the playoffs and if we don't next season, he might be fired cause it's one year in term to write off. If his youth (both on the current roster and prospects) don't take steps forward, he is as good as gone

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lesser of all those evils is the 4pp goals. At least they can complain that it was a bogus call - which is what it was.
I mean it's a penalty 10/10 when a player is lifeless on the ice, I don't even know why players act surprised. It looks bad, it gets called, no matter what happens. You have to account for human error.

You have so many mistakes that went in there, VG had all the time in the world to close the deal, infact, they had three whole games.

Then Cody Eakin decides to crosscheck Pavs on a useless play, in the high chest area. You just have to be smarter than that in the POs.
Then the PK... Man the PK. Jesus. Can't tell me this PK deserved to win.
Fleury couldn't stop a beachball, completely killed his team, he didn't deserve to win.

Then theres a full period of OT that goes by and Vegas can't put it away.

I mean, at some point you gotta stop blaming others for your own play.

Reactions: SirClintonPortis

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Lol....I don’t think he lacks “Hunger” lol

I was made fun of but when he was in Europe, sipping back on wine, visiting the Louvre.....he’s not training when he’s out and about

Sure, 3 weeks off is fine.....but he needs to be in the gym 2 1/2 months.....maybe spend a month with a Mr.Miagi type dude, wake at 4am, use your feet and toes to do everything, eat rice only, train in the monsoons of Southeast Asia, walking through leech infested rivers........

Something more then squatting 4 plates with your shirt off in an outside gym in Etobicoke

And how do you know that exactly? For all you know, he could be waking up at 5am, do a 35-45 min jogging, then hit a gym somewhere for an hour or two and then guess what, he has the entire day to visit the Louvre. You think pro athletes are training 8 hours a day?? And for a millionnaire, it's not hard to find a gym in any city.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I mean it's a penalty 10/10 when a player is lifeless on the ice, I don't even know why players act surprised. It looks bad, it gets called, no matter what happens. You have to account for human error.

You have so many mistakes that went in there, VG had all the time in the world to close the deal, infact, they had three whole games.

Then Cody Eakin decides to crosscheck Pavs on a useless play, in the high chest area. You just have to be smarter than that in the POs.
Fleury couldn't stop a beachball, completely killed his team, he didn't deserve to win.

Absolutely agree. Yes it was a wrong call, should have been a 2 minutes, but Vegas can only blame themselves for what happened after that. "effin joke" Marchessault said... yes, it was.. that PK was an effin joke.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Absolutely agree. Yes it was a wrong call, should have been a 2 minutes, but Vegas can only blame themselves for what happened after that. "effin joke" Marchessault said... yes, it was.. that PK was an effin joke.
I mean, not even just the PK, the whole performance from Vegas was an effin joke. You are going to act like blowing all these freaking games, and giving up all these goals is this tiny five minutes that completely changed the PO? Get outta here you shitbag whiner .

Reactions: Paddyjack

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I just prefer how the Bruins are/were built than how the Leafs are/were built.
How much of this Leaf loss can be put on Babcock though? What if they'd played Matthews and Tavares 24 mins a night instead of 18?

I just don't get this old school method of coaching. Montreal has had this forever now. Play your f***ing stars. The Lightning may have gotten owned in four but at least Cooper played his stars.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
If Babcock is there I don't see them going after Subban. He didn't use him for Team Canada despite him being the reigning Norris winner.

And yes, Subban in TO would absolutely kill us.

He'd also kill Boston. He regularly destroyed them while with us. Even in his rookie callup he came close to knocking them off. Exactly the kind of guy TO needs to play against them - provided he's healthy of course.

Subban went up against Was/Pit/Phi in his rookie call up

Reactions: the and DAChampion

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Those kinds of crosschecks happen on every play though. The Knights had been playing well, you don't take your foot off the gas. You can't blame him for that it was a nothing play.

As for the other stuff you've written here... fair enough. But if I were a fan, I'd seek solace in blaming the refs over the summer. :laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Those kinds of crosschecks happen on every play though. The Knights had been playing well, you don't take your foot off the gas. You can't blame him for that it was a nothing play.

As for the other stuff you've written here... fair enough. But if I were a fan, I'd seek solace in blaming the refs over the summer. :laugh:
A crosscheck to the high chest area on a faceoff is something that happens every game ? Hardly, especially right in front of the ref. It's a dumb play and it's a textbook penalty. Theres also a difference between playing hard and playing dumb, that was playing dumb.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A crosscheck to the high chest area on a faceoff is something that happens every game ? Hardly, especially right in front of the ref. It's a dumb play and it's a textbook penalty. Theres also a difference between playing hard and playing dumb, that was playing dumb.
That kind of stuff happens all the time. At most it's two minutes.

But I get why the refs did what they did. They don't have the benefit of instant replay and there's a guy lying bleeding on the ice. They made an assumption on what happened there.

Wouldn't stop me from blaming them if I were a Knights fan though.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Subban is going to retire before Weber, book it. Buddy destroyed his back at the gym putting on all these pounds he didn't even need. No surgery can fix that.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that...I suggested as much a few months back.

But I don't think it'll be because of injury, or rather, not directly related to injury.

I just think Subban's got a lot more interest outside of hockey and as his careers goes along, I think he'll start to prioritize those ventures a lot more.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That kind of stuff happens all the time. At most it's two minutes.

But I get why the refs did what they did. They don't have the benefit of instant replay and there's a guy lying bleeding on the ice. They made an assumption on what happened there.

Wouldn't stop me from blaming them if I were a Knights fan though.
This is exactly what I'm saying, it's a two minutes+you have the player that is lifeless on the ice, this player is getting tossed 10/10, there's just no other way around it. Take a look at every event of the same ilk and this happens, every time, without fault.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
How much of this Leaf loss can be put on Babcock though? What if they'd played Matthews and Tavares 24 mins a night instead of 18?

I just don't get this old school method of coaching. Montreal has had this forever now. Play your ****ing stars. The Lightning may have gotten owned in four but at least Cooper played his stars.
babcock coaching is awful dude plays marleau 2min lrft over marner , removed his goalies twice 2 games in a row while they did not have the puck

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that...I suggested as much a few months back.

But I don't think it'll be because of injury, or rather, not directly related to injury.

I just think Subban's got a lot more interest outside of hockey and as his careers goes along, I think he'll start to prioritize those ventures a lot more.
Really ? He's probably one of the most passionate hockey player out there. Playing for Nashville hurts him there, maybe. Maybe he was more passionate in Montreal.

I think there was a video of him and Vonn with a caption like "So this is what retirement is like?" or something like that, and that seems like a hint that he may be thinking of it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Really ? He's probably one of the most passionate hockey player out there. Playing for Nashville hurts him there, maybe. Maybe he was more passionate in Montreal.

I think there was a video of him and Vonn with a caption like "So this is what retirement is like?" or something like that, and that seems like a hint that he may be thinking of it.
He's got a lot going on outside of hockey, more then the typical hockey player....it's just my guess, I just think at some point he's going to walk away from hockey to focus on those other ventures, a lot sooner then people expect.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is exactly what I'm saying, it's a two minutes+you have the player that is lifeless on the ice, this player is getting tossed 10/10, there's just no other way around it. Take a look at every event of the same ilk and this happens, every time, without fault.
Oh I get why the refs did it. It wasn't the right call but it's easy for me to sit here and say this with the benefit of instant replay.

That doesn't change the fact that it was a bogus call and I'd be super pissed if I were a Vegas fan.
babcock coaching is awful dude plays marleau 2min lrft over marner , removed his goalies twice 2 games in a row while they did not have the puck
He had such great numbers with Detroit. It's becoming readily apparent though that this was due more to the fact that he had Lidstrom in his lineup more than his coaching. I mean, that's just such a basic thing... play your stars. If he'd just done that and they lost he'd have no heat on him. But if you lose and only play Matthews at 18 min, you deserve serious blame. That is Therrien type crap right there.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad