Out of Town Thread Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jokke Nevalainen is one of the best to get news and info on European hockey. He's been one of my go-to guys when I'm looking to learn more about Euro prospects (Habs related or not or even draft eligible players). He's been hired by Carolina as a European scout.

Did Bergevin miss the boat on Jokke?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't know where to post this and wondering if we need a thread about if the next season happens or not?

Something not many are talking about... I bet you Matthews, McDavid, and Ovechkin have different opinions. Escrow affects Ovechkin way more than Matthews and McDavid. Lets say the NHL comes up with $25% of escrow. A few examples below on several players shows how they might be split on how to manage the escrow with the NHL.

Matthews:
- $15.2M of signing bonus money already paid
- $700k of base salary
- 25% escrow = $525k of actual payments
- Total Salary = $15.725M (Before tax)

McDavid:
- $13M of signing bonus money already paid
- $1M of base salary
- 25% escrow = $750k of actual payments
- Total Salary = $13.75M (Before tax)

Ovechkin:
- $0M of signing bonus money already paid
- $10M of base salary
- 25% escrow = $7.5M of actual payments
- Total Salary = $7.5M (Before tax)

Mackinnon:
- $0M of signing bonus money already paid
- $6.15M of base salary
- 25% escrow = $4.6125M of actual payments
- Total Salary = $4.6125M (Before tax)

Doughty:
- $2M of signing bonus money already paid
- $8M of base salary
- 25% escrow = $6M of actual payments
- Total Salary = $8M (Before tax)

A guy like Malkin got lucky. This season was his first signing bonus season where he got $5M already paid. His previous seasons on his current deal has no signing bonus money.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Did Bergevin miss the boat on Jokke?

Remove one of the K's from Nevalainen's name and most people would tell you MB didn't miss the boat on that. :sarcasm:

I don't know if Jokke will be for a specific region of Europe or one that covers more ground. But the Habs do have a lot of Euro scouts. Some cover specific areas while others scout Europe altogether.

Russia: Artem Telepin (since 2016)
Sweden: Tommy Lehman (since 2018)
Finland: Hannu Laine (also oversees other areas of Europe) (since 2016)
Czech/Slovakia: Michael Krupa (also oversees other areas of Europe) (since 2016)
Goalies (all over the world): Vincent Riendeau (since 2017)

And they have Christer Rockstrom who oversees all of Europe.

And you can see the recent European players they've drafted in recent years, you can judge for yourself if they're good for the organization.

From Russia (through Telepin): Romanov, Khisamutdinov & Gordin
From Finland (through Laine): Kotkaniemi, Ylonen & Ikonen (although Ikonen was drafted out of Sweden because he played there)
From Sweden (through Lehman): Norlinder
From Czech (through Krupa): Mysak (drafted out of OHL, but played mostly in Czech while being scouted)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Remove one of the K's from Nevalainen's name and most people would tell you MB didn't miss the boat on that. :sarcasm:

I don't know if Jokke will be for a specific region of Europe or one that covers more ground. But the Habs do have a lot of Euro scouts. Some cover specific areas while others scout Europe altogether.

Russia: Artem Telepin (since 2016)
Sweden: Tommy Lehman (since 2018)
Finland: Hannu Laine (also oversees other areas of Europe) (since 2016)
Czech/Slovakia: Michael Krupa (also oversees other areas of Europe) (since 2016)
Goalies (all over the world): Vincent Riendeau (since 2017)

And they have Christer Rockstrom who oversees all of Europe.

And you can see the recent European players they've drafted in recent years, you can judge for yourself if they're good for the organization.

From Russia (through Telepin): Romanov, Khisamutdinov & Gordin
From Finland (through Laine): Kotkaniemi, Ylonen & Ikonen (although Ikonen was drafted out of Sweden because he played there)
From Sweden (through Lehman): Norlinder
From Czech (through Krupa): Mysak (drafted out of OHL, but played mostly in Czech while being scouted)

Several of these countries only have one scout -- is that a good way to go? I wonder if other NHL teams are also going that route.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m a bigger fan of Drouin than most on here, but watching Sergachev in the playoffs really made me think about how fundamentally different this team would be if we still had him.

Our PP would be better and we would have not traded/signed Edmundson. We would be able to keep Tatar after this next season?

It's a trade that was made after Bergevin realized Radulov and Markov were not coming back... "expect the unexpected". Yzerman appears to have won that trade and what is the gap? Depends on if Drouin is who he is heading into prime years and how much growth Sergachev has moving forward. They moved McDonagh to RD side this playoffs to give Sergachev top 4D minutes. In past seasons, they tried Sergachev at RD and kept moving him down to bottom LD. He has ability to play both sides but appears they want him at LD.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
What's the status of Tampa's cap situation?

They need to reduce their cap by 2 millions i think on top of having to sign Cernak and Cirelli. They'll have to give something to get out of trouble by trading either Johnson+ for nothing or Gourde+ for nothing. They'll also probably have to make a choice between Cirelli and Cernak don't think they'll be able to sign both.

But when you're the sc champion it doesn't matter much if you have to add a 1st to get out of trouble. They just need to avoid making the same mistake the Hawks did and trade away a guy like Teravainen for nothing. Adding Teravainen to get out of trouble was way too much. I don't think Johnson is tradeable though.

Gourde is still relatively young and the average NHL GM believes in fairy tale. Even if his 60 points season was a fluke i would not be surprised at all if someone is willing to get his contract plus a first for nothing. There's a couple of teams with enough room and he was good in playoffs last year.

There's a good chance they can get a good kid on an ELC for Cirelli too i think if they have to trade him. He's a good kid who never had his chance. GMs love that.

Reactions: Electricity

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's a trade that was made after Bergevin realized Radulov and Markov were not coming back... "expect the unexpected".
I hope not because that would look even more terrible for Bergevin. We had to plan for a Markov replacement for a while, and Sergachev was the only one that had the chance of doing so. Trading that away to "replace" Radulov instead of not overpaying him makes no sense.

I'm willing to excuse Bergevin on the trade unlike most here, because to me it seemed like he wanted to go for it the next year with Markov and Radulov on the team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hope not because that would look even more terrible for Bergevin. We had to plan for a Markov replacement for a while, and Sergachev was the only one that had the chance of doing so. Trading that away to "replace" Radulov instead of not overpaying him makes no sense.

I'm willing to excuse Bergevin on the trade unlike most here, because to me it seemed like he wanted to go for it the next year with Markov and Radulov on the team.

Lets face it... Bergevin sucked really, really, really bad in 2016 and 2017. I think some people will never forgive him for those years. Personally, I think he is a much better GM today.

Anyways... The Drouin for Sergachev trade was risky and we are loosing that one. You know me though... I still think Drouin has more to give but I always said, he needs better pieces around him. Well, no more excuses, he will have very good pieces to work with and the Habs have a strong top 9F wherever he plays. If he stays healthy, I see some bump in production. How much better will Sergachev get? Guess work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad