GDT: Out of town thread-NHL Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Safe to say Montreal wants no part of playing Tampa anytime soon.

Ben Bishop has 2 assists tonight :amazed:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
It's weird-the Habs have far more teams in our division that give them fits than they give the Bruins (Habs are really the only team we consistently play poorly against) but it seems like the Habs and Bruins always meet up.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's weird-the Habs have far more teams in our division that give them fits than they give the Bruins (Habs are really the only team we consistently play poorly against) but it seems like the Habs and Bruins always meet up.

The Habs were designed to beat one team - Boston.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
watching the second period of Habs/Lightning was like watching grown men play keep away with kids. It got me thinking, The Lightning are to fast for the habs, the Habs are to fast for us, then why aren't the Lightning to fast for us?

jdz

May 22, 2013
watching the second period of Habs/Lightning was like watching grown men play keep away with kids. It got me thinking, The Lightning are to fast for the habs, the Habs are to fast for us, then why aren't the Lightning to fast for us?

We **** the bed when we play the Habs.

The lightning dont want to play a physical grinding contest. Plus their defense can be exposed with hard net drives and their goalie isnt carey price.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

I don't think it's so much speed but how they play.

Habs tend to look for the long outlet past to the forward who sneaks behind the defense. Bruins often get burned not so much because they lack speed but because they fail to pay attention to the guy floating around waiting for that pass. The speed is the issue because we have few players who can catch up.

Watch a Bruins Habs game and look at how many odd man rushes we give up. Also, the Habs forecheck with 2 men and really target the D to D pass. Our D men and forwards get all flustered and turn the puck over repeatedly and often end up giving up a goal in the process.

Tampa plays us differently but they have the players to burn us if they do a little more Habs like play.

Also imo goaltending is a factor. We haven't really solved Price while the Habs currently have Tuukka's number.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Habs tend to look for the long outlet past to the forward who sneaks behind the defense. Bruins often get burned not so much because they lack speed but because they fail to pay attention to the guy floating around waiting for that pass. The speed is the issue because we have few players who can catch up.

Watch a Bruins Habs game and look at how many odd man rushes we give up. Also, the Habs forecheck with 2 men and really target the D to D pass. Our D men and forwards get all flustered and turn the puck over repeatedly and often end up giving up a goal in the process.

Tampa plays us differently but they have the players to burn us if they do a little more Habs like play.

Also imo goaltending is a factor. We haven't really solved Price while the Habs currently have Tuukka's number.

Excellent analysis of that match up

It's a wonder why the coaches have not picked this up

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

It's simple then Tampa needs to watch tapes of Habs playing Bruins, Bruins need to watch tapes of Tampa playing Habs, Habs need to .....................**** off is what they need to do.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Speed, IMO, is part of it but a larger aspect that gives not just the Habs, but most teams problems is when they play a team who moves the puck quickly, not necessarily because they are fast, but because they don`t hold onto the puck long, forces opponents to constantly change things up and the Bolts do this very well as do the Habs quite often

Where speed does become a factor for the B`s is when entering the offensive zone, not nearly enough speed on this team to play a dump and chase game when the majority of the time, they`ll be second to the puck

I`d much prefer a soft chip on the boards rather than the long dump in which gives the Habs D far too much time to react and defensively, STAND THEM UP AT THE BLUELINE, way too much backing in and allowing them to simply take the offensive zone

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
As for standing them up at the blue line-this is one thing the Bruins never do with the Habs but they do it quite well against other speedy teams-I do not understand this.

The Bruins also play timid hockey against the Habs (they haven't played as physical a game this season but when they were more physical and this season they play very timid against them where they don't against other teams). And the Bruins often just lose their discipline against the Habs-Looch among the worst. Losing your discipline against teams with good PPs is just stupid hockey.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
me too, not sure why, really have no dislike for the team in general, I "think" it`s because Sutter always looks so smug all the time?

I wouldn't mind LA if it weren't for Sutter and the smug look

Burke owns a smug look as well but it's more comical to me due to his tenure in Toronto and gifts he sent Boston's way.

OutspokenMinority*

Speed, IMO, is part of it but a larger aspect that gives not just the Habs, but most teams problems is when they play a team who moves the puck quickly, not necessarily because they are fast, but because they don`t hold onto the puck long, forces opponents to constantly change things up and the Bolts do this very well as do the Habs quite often

Where speed does become a factor for the B`s is when entering the offensive zone, not nearly enough speed on this team to play a dump and chase game when the majority of the time, they`ll be second to the puck

I`d much prefer a soft chip on the boards rather than the long dump in which gives the Habs D far too much time to react and defensively, STAND THEM UP AT THE BLUELINE, way too much backing in and allowing them to simply take the offensive zone

except for Dan Paille who collects dump ins as well as just about anybody but he sits in favor of Campbell who does nothing lol. (i'll admit that campbell has been fired up over the last several games. you can see quite obviously that they all are aware of what is being said about this colossal clusterf of a personnel decision... a few more games and he'll be back to his normal, inconsequential self)

they play dump and chase, but sit perhaps the fastest and one of the tougher, more physical players they have. lol.

i'll give them credit on the power play though. they haven't tried a wraparound dump-in on the power play for several games. thank G.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Julien lets them do anything they want all over the ice.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't mind LA if it weren't for Sutter and the smug look

I don't get the smug vibe when watching Sutter. He always looks constipated to me. :laugh:

This sums it up nicely:

la-kings-darryl-sutter.jpg

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Need Detroit to do us a favour tonight but im not confident, they've been sucking for a while now, hopefully they can help us out and we need to win to give us some breathing room with some tough match ups coming up.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Detroit currently getting out shot 26-10 and Ottawa just robbed Stone as Ottawa goes on the PP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->