Out of Town: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Edmonton has just under 5mil of cap space left to sign Nurse and add a roster player. Its going to be very tight.
What gives? Lucic with some retention and draft picks?

Getting EDM 1st is worth a risk. Thats if they want to move it. It could be a pick in the 20's, or it could be in the top 10.

I think Lucic contract is a bit long to take on a cap dump, but I would bite on maybe Byron for Lucic +EDM 1st on the chance that EDM is a bottom feeder this year again.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Getting EDM 1st is worth a risk. Thats if they want to move it. It could be a pick in the 20's, or it could be in the top 10.

I think Lucic contract is a bit long to take on a cap dump, but I would bite on maybe Byron for Lucic +EDM 1st on the chance that EDM is a bottom feeder this year again.
They could probably re sign Byron and if its the case i would add a conditional pick. If not I ask for dmen Samorukov on top of the 1st round pick and Lucic who would be the left wing replacing Pacioretty that needs to be traded for another 1st. I would be ecstatic to have 2 top 10 pick.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I wonder if Dallas turns to Carolina if they miss on Karlsson. Would Skinner and Faulk be a good option? Who else would they be looking at?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'd love to take on the Lucic contract if only to see him play for a team he hates, and one that is set to hit rock bottom. Getting something material out of it would be excellent.
Shaw + Byron for Lucic + value

Bergevin is bound to overpay Byron soon on long term deal.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
So you know how they fired Beauchamp after 25 years of service to bring in a new more transparent PR team? Well turns out the new PR team is controlled by Geoff Molson's brother, Andrew Molson. There are not enough facepalms on the planet for that one! The nepotism continues. :facepalm:

As of this moment there are still 500 pairs of seasons tickets that have not been sold. That's an estimated worth of about 3.5 million dollars. I remember when there used to be a huge waiting list for in order to get a pair of season tickets. **** you Geoff Molson! I hope you crash and burn!

That is not what was implied in that article.
His friend heard hundreds of pairs of tickets were not renewed. There is still a waiting list of years and some of the people on the waiting list Are having their dreams come true now. Those tickets, despite a bad couple of years are very valuable. I also challenge the writer on his complaints about transparency with regards to Weber’s surgery. If MB announced that on June 19th then he loses all kinds of leverage in trade negotiations and free agency. The fact that they are admitting they knew it since then is actually pretty transparent.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Think it's arguable. If Habs prospects did as well as Lightning prospects in AHL at 20/21 we'd be hyping them to the moon.

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Mete
Juulsen
Ylönen
Brook
Primeau
Olofsson
Evans
Fleury

vs

(No particular order)
Foote
Cirelli
Katchouk
Stephens
Raddysh
Volkov
Joseph
Cernak
Masin
Erne

That’s a great point and we have as deep a prospect pool as I’ve ever seen the Habs have.

The biggest difference is who those prospects on either side are playing with on the big team and who they’ll eventually replace. Tampa has almost no holes in their roster so they can trade off older more expensive assets and drop in a rookie who’s positioned to do well because of the talent around them. In Montreal we have Swiss cheese and need these young guys to step in and be difference makers right away which is a lot to ask.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What's super impressive is they have that much quality remaining despite trading 2 of their better prospects from McD/Miller, not having a 1st, low picks.

Foote, Cirelli, Katchouk, Stephens, Raddysh, Volkov is arguably still better than the Habs prospect pool even with Kokta.
Not sure I agree with that...perception is everything.

And right now, perception around anything Habs related is negative.

While it's the complete opposite for the Bolts.

Only time will tell

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
So you know how they fired Beauchamp after 25 years of service to bring in a new more transparent PR team? Well turns out the new PR team is controlled by Geoff Molson's brother, Andrew Molson. There are not enough facepalms on the planet for that one! The nepotism continues. :facepalm:

As of this moment there are still 500 pairs of seasons tickets that have not been sold. That's an estimated worth of about 3.5 million dollars. I remember when there used to be a huge waiting list for in order to get a pair of season tickets. **** you Geoff Molson! I hope you crash and burn!

Is this true?? Are there unsold season tickets and no waiting list?? That would be fantastic -- I'm just really surprised.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Only time will tell

There's also track record and the actual performance of the prospects in respective leagues.

For example, how highly would a Habs prospect be perceived with this performance:

5 pts in 7 games at WJC with Canada. Led Junior team to Championship by leading his team in playoffs scoring with 32pts in 18 games. Had 80 points in 54 games in regular season. As 20 year old rookie in ahl the had 53 points in 70 games.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Only time will tell
Perception is all we have right now. Tampa's prospects have earned the perception of being better because for the last few years they have been better; in fact, they've been better than almost anyone. Tampa's entire core is almost entirely built on homegrown draft picks, many from late rounds, which speaks to an amazing culture of scouting and development.

Habs could be sitting on a better prospect pool right now, but after a decade of crap I'm going to have to see it before I believe it.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
His friend heard hundreds of pairs of tickets were not renewed. There is still a waiting list of years and some of the people on the waiting list Are having their dreams come true now. Those tickets, despite a bad couple of years are very valuable. I also challenge the writer on his complaints about transparency with regards to Weber’s surgery. If MB announced that on June 19th then he loses all kinds of leverage in trade negotiations and free agency. The fact that they are admitting they knew it since then is actually pretty transparent.

Quiet on Weber to have leverage in pursuing ROR?

To sign Peca & Pleks?

That's an interesting theory, except that it is completely unsubstantiated by anything that actually transpired..

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There's also track record and the actual performance of the prospects in respective leagues.

For example, how highly would a Habs prospect be perceived with this performance:

5 pts in 7 games at WJC with Canada. Led Junior team to Championship by leading his team in playoffs scoring with 32pts in 18 games. Had 80 points in 54 games in regular season. As 20 year old rookie in ahl the had 53 points in 70 games.
It's too early for me to play this game lol

Who are you talking about here?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Perception is all we have right now. Tampa's prospects have earned the perception of being better because for the last few years they have been better; in fact, they've been better than almost anyone. Tampa's entire core is almost entirely built on homegrown draft picks, many from late rounds, which speaks to an amazing culture of scouting and development.

Habs could be sitting on a better prospect pool right now, but after a decade of crap I'm going to have to see it before I believe it.
Don't disagree with this...they certainly have earned the benefit of how they're perceived.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That’s a great point and we have as deep a prospect pool as I’ve ever seen the Habs have.

The biggest difference is who those prospects on either side are playing with on the big team and who they’ll eventually replace. Tampa has almost no holes in their roster so they can trade off older more expensive assets and drop in a rookie who’s positioned to do well because of the talent around them. In Montreal we have Swiss cheese and need these young guys to step in and be difference makers right away which is a lot to ask.
Agreed with this... essentially the point I was also making.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Is this true?? Are there unsold season tickets and no waiting list?? That would be fantastic -- I'm just really surprised.

I don't know if there is a waiting list or not... it's possible that current season ticket holders are just being offered a priority to upgrade their tickets before it is passed on to people on the waiting list. Regardless enough people have cancelled their season tickets and it's true those tickets were once valuable but the team will be bad for many years to come. I think many fans just feel disrespected, Molson was quick to fire Gauthier after one bad season so I don't understand why he continues to stand by Bergevin who continues to tarnish the brand and destroy the team. Read up on the "Brick" fiasco. Fans are treated like nothing more than cash cows. Going back to the waiting list... there was no mention of it in the article and it was definitely implied that the team might be looking at a net loss of the value of those unsold tickets. Of course this will only get worse with every passing year Molson endorses MB.

Are you friggin kidding me with not disclosing the Weber injury? You don't think that free agents signing here have the right to know that the team's #1D will be out for a majority of the season? Do you know what bait and switch is? Part of the pitch to sign Tavares by Toronto was to explain to him about the future of the team and how the team planned to retain all of their young talent. And you wonder why JT never gave the Canadiens the courtesy of an interview when they are not even being honest? I think that MB reputation around the league speaks for itself. They never should have promised to be more transparent in the first place if they weren't going to be and for obvious reasons sometimes they can't. It was just smoke and mirrors and an unachievable promise anyways.

Reactions: zeeto and Pickles

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

So far, the 2018 draft picks signed are:

1st Rounders:
- Svechnikov (CAR)
- Kotkaniemi (MTL)
- Hayton (ARI)
- Boqvist (CHI)
- Kaut (COL)

2nd Rounders:
- Fehérvàry (WSH)
- Andersson (BOS)

3rd Rounders:
- Skarek (NYI)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

So far, the 2018 draft picks signed are:

1st Rounders:
- Svechnikov (CAR)
- Kotkaniemi (MTL)
- Hayton (ARI)
- Boqvist (CHI)
- Kaut (COL)

2nd Rounders:
- Fehérvàry (WSH)
- Andersson (BOS)

3rd Rounders:
- Skarek (NYI)

I missed the Fehervary signing, thanks for posting. The euros are going to be so much fun to watch next year.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Oh no, anything but that.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Oh no, anything but that.

No kidding. He would lose leverage? Make possibly BAD trades and BAD signings?

How much worse could he do? These were GOOD ones he made when he actually had leverage? We're in Jeff Finger territory as it is.

In fact, I'm still not entirely convinced that Bergevin didn't think he was getting John Carlson instead of Karl Alzner, and he just got mixed up with the names. It's the only way I could understand that signing. Not kidding. To me that is more acceptable than actually thinking Alzner is worth that contract. The mistake is borderline more forgivable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad