Out of Town: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Been some rumours of Nashville trading Subban for Karlsson? Why would they trade him for a UFA?
It would be odd if the TSN rumours are true and Subban is being shopped around, not just to Ottawa. If it's strictly an Ottawa/Nashville deal, why would cost-conscious Melnyk trade their franchise dman for another high-priced dman? Hopefully for PK this is all just chatter.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Been some rumours of Nashville trading Subban for Karlsson? Why would they trade him for a UFA?

Melnick, being uh, not exactly known as a spendthrift would ok this I suppose if the goal is to flip PK down the road for another trade. It doesn’t make sense to me though unless Nashville thinks Karlsson was the missing piece to get them over the top.

If Nashville is in danger of missing the playoffs, they can easily trade Karlsson as a rental.

From Ottawa’s perspective, if they are willing to eat PK’s salary, that must mean Karlsson’s ask must be high.

Honestly, this trade would make no sense to me but maybe there is more to it that a straight 1-for-1. I’m sure Ryan’s contract is also in the mix.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Gotta love the changing of the seasons, as we move from On-Ice-Heroes to Backroom-GM-Intrigue.

Bring an umbrella. They're predicting a downpour of contracts.

Reactions: jaffy27

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
As the playoffs were unfolding, I really thought the Jets and Tbay were going to the finals, but really glad that the Caps made it, and not enough can be said for Vegas!! Ovie getting a Cup is huge for him, and the city and their fans!!

I remember being happy for Ray Bourque getting his Cup, and it's an even better feeling for Ovie!!

Capping off such terrible seasons for the Habs, 3 years in row now, feeling good for Ovie and Oshie, Eller and company is a weird feeling...........MB seems to have taken all the joy out of being a Habs fan...but glad I can still be a hockey fan!!

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
As the playoffs were unfolding, I really thought the Jets and Tbay were going to the finals, but really glad that the Caps made it, and not enough can be said for Vegas!! Ovie getting a Cup is huge for him, and the city and their fans!!

I remember being happy for Ray Bourque getting his Cup, and it's an even better feeling for Ovie!!

Capping off such terrible seasons for the Habs, 3 years in row now, feeling good for Ovie and Oshie, Eller and company is a weird feeling...........MB seems to have taken all the joy out of being a Habs fan...but glad I can still be a hockey fan!!

I was rooting for Nashville, then Winnipeg because I wanted to see either beat both Vegas and Tampa.

Of course, as fate, and good team building would have it, Washington played Vegas. In terms of storylines, I don’t see how it could have gone any better for the NHL.

- An expansion team, or if this was a movie script, a team of rejects, dominate the regular season and dummied one of the top conference seeds in the playoffs.

- Washington, where do I begin? Pretty much written off by myself anyways in every series. I thought they were done with Columbuswhen they were down 2-0. I thought after losing game one against Pittsburgh, that was it. When they blew a 2-0 lead and were down 3-2 against Tampa, I thought that was it.

- We had the clutch and dominance of OVand Kuzy. Holtby basically beat Tampa when the chips were down. Then of course, Eller and DSP. We’ve said enough here, but on TSN That’s Hockey, when discussing the finals, there were some shots fired at Montreal when Eller and DSP came up.

- I think we can put away any discussion about OV not being a clutch player and playoff performer.

- Finally, two fresh teams in the final. Also saw a real coaching battle and Trotz was the first to figure how to counter Vegas. Helps when you got east-west shooting options of OV and Carlson.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is that the same wife he threw into a tv or whatever? (I don't really remember the story :laugh: )

It is the same woman. She was his girlfriend then. She's his wife now. I don't remember exactly how it all went down, either. I only know he was arrested and deported because he beat her.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Let’s not act like DSP wasn’t hot garbage in a Habs jersey.

And let's not act like Eller had not plateaued in MON. Good for the kid that he won the Cup, but he needed a move to a deeper team where he could finally accept his role as a 3rd line C. Eller raised his game in the playoffs, for sure, but until the kid began playing up center ice again and started moving in towards the net, he would have remained at the possession level with zero offensive upside that he had reached in MON, likely as a result of the injury he had suffered against OTT in the playoffs.

This last year, at least, his center ice game had returned. I hadn't followed Eller religiously to know if it had earlier or not.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Melnick, being uh, not exactly known as a spendthrift would ok this I suppose if the goal is to flip PK down the road for another trade. It doesn’t make sense to me though unless Nashville thinks Karlsson was the missing piece to get them over the top.

If Nashville is in danger of missing the playoffs, they can easily trade Karlsson as a rental.

From Ottawa’s perspective, if they are willing to eat PK’s salary, that must mean Karlsson’s ask must be high.

Honestly, this trade would make no sense to me but maybe there is more to it that a straight 1-for-1. I’m sure Ryan’s contract is also in the mix.

I think its genius from Melnick's point of view if that trade goes down. IMO the toughest part of re-signing EK is won't be the amount of money but the structure. If EK wants most of the money paid as bonus each July 1st, Sens have no chance.

Getting Subban contact I believe is paid throughout the year not in signing bonuses. And he would be great in selling tickets.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Subban is more valuable because he has term, Poile would be an idiot to do that. Look for goaltending and better offense, your defense is set.

The thing with that is they also have Josi, who is also more of a rover/offense first type Dman. Can you win with two of these guys taking risks?

Subban is better all-around D man IMO than Karlsson, and when the chips are down in the playoffs the only guy that’s on his level is Doughty.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The thing with that is they also have Josi, who is also more of a rover/offense first type Dman. Can you win with two of these guys taking risks?

Subban is better all-around D man IMO than Karlsson, and when the chips are down in the playoffs the only guy that’s on his level is Doughty.
Josi is on a bargain of a contract, you don't trade him. Ellis should be the guy to leave if it comes to it. I think Preds would like another Ekholm guy to go with Josi while keeping Ekholm with Subban.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
It would be odd if the TSN rumours are true and Subban is being shopped around, not just to Ottawa. If it's strictly an Ottawa/Nashville deal, why would cost-conscious Melnyk trade their franchise dman for another high-priced dman? Hopefully for PK this is all just chatter.

I dont buy PK for Karlsson, but whether true or not TSN has for the last few weeks been pushing the PK trade narrative.

So either you believe where there is smoke there is fire or that TSN is being click baity. The stroy they are putting out is that how team felt about PK followed him to Nash and Polie has been taking calls since Feb. Doesn't mean he will be traded for peanuts but if a good offer comes along....

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Sometimes I think this board gets too toxic then I go to the don cherry thread on the main board. Apparently if you dislike Don (I don't really) you're a left wing soy boy beta vegan. :laugh:

what a cess pool.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think its genius from Melnick's point of view if that trade goes down. IMO the toughest part of re-signing EK is won't be the amount of money but the structure. If EK wants most of the money paid as bonus each July 1st, Sens have no chance.

Getting Subban contact I believe is paid throughout the year not in signing bonuses. And he would be great in selling tickets.

Absolutely, PK will sell tickets and move merchandise. From a business perspective, it would be a good move as PK is in his prime and is a marketing machine.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Of course PK would sell tickets in Ottawa. You don't think he's doing that now for Nashville? I mean nobody even knew who the Predators were before Subban got there.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Of course PK would sell tickets in Ottawa. You don't think he's doing that now for Nashville? I mean nobody even knew who the Predators were before Subban got there.

Nashville always had good crowds, but yes Subban helped out a lot, I mean Polie even mentioned how Subban would be great in that way at the time of the trade.

But I'm talking about the Sens only, when/if Karlsson is traded, a lot of the fans are just going to stop watching, they already have an attendance issue, they also are going to have a bad team, with no first pick. At least a guy with Subban personality will bring some energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->