Our young guys

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
But at least we'll still have our "one of the, if not the youngest team in the league" excuse....for whatever thats worth

Can you explain what the team would need to make excuses for??

Not winning the Cup next year??

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
1) Where does non true 1st liner and non prospect Dubois fit into this?

2) Why do most people continue to "ignore" that Duchene only played 20-30 games out of the last 3+ years, and Dzingel really didn't have a positive impact for more than 5 or so games in his stretch in Columbus? The team was good before both guys. Dzingel's impact and skill is easily made up by 1 of Texier (who wasn't apart of the team) and/or Bemstrom.

There is only so much ("prime") icetime available. Having Duchene (or any other "top" center) simply takes away ice time and "opportunity" from Dubois. As we saw last year when Duchene was brought in, Dubois' "rhythm" seemed to be knocked off a bit from lesser (PP) icetime and linemates. He has proven the last 2 years (imo I guess) that he is not only ready for it, but the PRIME/HEAVY icetime would be best for PLD's development. Sure, playing with Panarin might boost your offensive numbers and decimals a bit more, but I'd also argue that playing with him has helped Dubois develop a more complete game having to cover for Panarin's offensive minded play. Sorry if that goes against the narrative of supposedly defensively impactful Panarin.

3) The continuous downplaying of Korpisalo (that will continue into training camp) is something I also find fascinating. Really is sad that so many (CBJ) fans don't have confidence in him to even give him a shot to start. Looking at how most current starting goalies (and Bobrovsky) took over their job along with their actual skills at the time, we should be excited about Merklikins yes, BUT WE (as a "fanbase") SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY EXCITED about Korpisalo and where he is at. I know, "Decimal points and Vezina's". Where was Bobrovsky as a player when he took over in Columbus, and how soon was he considered great or "elite"?

4) There is NO WAY Jarmo doesn't sign a legitimate impactful forward or trades a defenseman for 1 in the near future.

Bus, I don't often agree with your views. The highlighted portion of your post above, however, is spot on in my opinion.

PLD maybe should have handled the Duchene acquisition a bit better. Maybe the Jackets didn't do as good a job as they should have in mentoring him through that. PLD's heard message looked like "hey, you may be a 2nd year stud but you aren't good enough yet." That's not always the best message to a young guy battling for every inch of ice against the other team's best, sometimes succeeding. Regardless of fault, it certainly appeared to me that the TDL affected his play for some time during the regular season. He didn't sulk, but he didn't play with the zealous confidence I saw prior to the TDL. He was better in the playoffs - Frankly, he didn't get much ink for it, but he was a big part of the sweep of TBL at both ends. And anyone who though he should stand out against the Bruins' C's was delusional; he was not out of place, he battled, he was solid and did not back down against the Bruins. I think PLD now realizes that there needs to be a two=headed C, that sometimes 1C and 2C are interchangeable parts. IMO, he's going to continue to be a stud and develop even further, and the reaction to the TDL was a) to be expected; and b) a small blip on the radar.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Sure, playing with Panarin might boost your offensive numbers and decimals a bit more,
Boost a bit? Bread was the leading point getter in CBJ history, losing him will effect the entire team a lot. Had you said that Bread disappeared when we needed him the most I would have been in total agreement. I don't think we are starting over, but the losses are substantial

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Boost a bit? Bread was the leading point getter in CBJ history, losing him will effect the entire team a lot. Had you said that Bread disappeared when we needed him the most I would have been in total agreement. I don't think we are starting over, but the losses are substantial

Semantics. Again.

Yes, losing Panarin hurts the team. It very well could affect Atkinson/Dubois/etc point production, but that's also not guaranteed, as other people will be given more opportunity and ice time to replace Panarin, along with having to be looked at more as the "go to guy".

The team is still good enough and will still score goals. Your idea of the relationship between individual players putting up a certain amount of points and the effect it has on other players or the team, is not accurate.

Dubois and Atkinson could put up just as many points playing with Nyquist, and the team could PLAY better and finish the regular season higher than they did the past 2 years with Panarin, like the team did before BOTH Panarin and Dubois.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Frankly, he didn't get much ink for it, but he was a big part of the sweep of TBL at both ends. And anyone who though he should stand out against the Bruins' C's was delusional; he was not out of place, he battled, he was solid and did not back down against the Bruins. I think PLD now realizes that there needs to be a two=headed C, that sometimes 1C and 2C are interchangeable parts. IMO, he's going to continue to be a stud and develop even further, and the reaction to the TDL was a) to be expected; and b) a small blip on the radar.

I agree with most.

To add, the lack of overall (what I consider respect) "hype" that been thrown out about Dubois is probably the most maddening thing to me currently as a true CBJ fan. I honestly feel there must be some weird feelings left over from draft day, and people still cant believe he should have been picked and has proven himself worthy of a top 3 draft pick.

What makes this even worse and fascinating to me is that this LACK of respect is not just coming from opposing fans.

Look at what Dubois has done AND THE WAY HE PLAYS by the time he's 21. Ignoring the many lesser forwards who get hyped like crazy around the league, looking at it in relation to other young centers the CBJ have had in the recent past, makes it much easier to see the lack of respect. DUBOIS IS THE BEST CENTER THE TEAM HAS EVER HAD, but look what was said about Wennberg and Johansen and their potential, when they were at their best. They were praised as more promising while never coming close to having the impact that Dubois has on the team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bus, I don't often agree with your views. The highlighted portion of your post above, however, is spot on in my opinion.

PLD maybe should have handled the Duchene acquisition a bit better. Maybe the Jackets didn't do as good a job as they should have in mentoring him through that. PLD's heard message looked like "hey, you may be a 2nd year stud but you aren't good enough yet." That's not always the best message to a young guy battling for every inch of ice against the other team's best, sometimes succeeding. Regardless of fault, it certainly appeared to me that the TDL affected his play for some time during the regular season. He didn't sulk, but he didn't play with the zealous confidence I saw prior to the TDL. He was better in the playoffs - Frankly, he didn't get much ink for it, but he was a big part of the sweep of TBL at both ends. And anyone who though he should stand out against the Bruins' C's was delusional; he was not out of place, he battled, he was solid and did not back down against the Bruins. I think PLD now realizes that there needs to be a two=headed C, that sometimes 1C and 2C are interchangeable parts. IMO, he's going to continue to be a stud and develop even further, and the reaction to the TDL was a) to be expected; and b) a small blip on the radar.

He had a legit slump, it wasn't just a matter of his TOI coming down or his linemates being not as good. He had some good linemates. I think the timing of his late season slump might have had other causes, I imagine he's still getting used to these long seasons.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Totally fair for a fan to wonder this, but other than the uniform, there's nothing the same between these two players.

The point is maybe, probably, Tex is a better player but we never met a top prospect we didn't like. I'm hopeful that Tex lives up to expectations but you never know.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Agreed. Elvis and Texier are exciting to me.

Outside of exciting, the person I'm probably most curious about is Foudy. I tend to think with Texier we have a dynamic goal scorer, but we'll have to see how he rounds out his game. I'm sure teams will have started to take notice.

Foudy, we really need him to make the jump into our top six. Not this season, but soon.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019
Outside of exciting, the person I'm probably most curious about is Foudy. I tend to think with Texier we have a dynamic goal scorer, but we'll have to see how he rounds out his game. I'm sure teams will have started to take notice.

Foudy, we really need him to make the jump into our top six. Not this season, but soon.

I agree. We can’t keep striking out on 1st round picks.

I honestly believe the key to our season (offensively anyway) rests on Bjorkstrand. Needs to play like he did to end the season and we should be fine. Also Anderson continuing to be such a beast. I can’t believe there isn’t more talked about him in the main media ect... that kid can be IT.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I agree. We can’t keep striking out on 1st round picks.

I'm not sure I'd go that far.

PLD, Werenski, Murray, Wennberg, Milano, Johansen, Moore
Rychel, Milano (not a bust yet, but close), Dano

We can quibble about the overall succuess and/or failure rates, but it would hardly be considered on the low side of statistical norms.

During this time we've picked up Jenner, Savard, OB, Andersen, and Nutivaara in the later rounds. Prout is still earning a paycheck.

I wouldn't say this is a "sexy" list, but we've been doing fairly well.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think both Bemstrom and Texier are getting severely underrated in here . I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them have an impact like Elias Pettersson did last year for Vancouver . These 2 guys in the lineup , and we somehow get Gusev:nod:.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->