Our young guys

The Land 216

Mar 16, 2019
Obviously we all would love Bread to come back and hanging onto hope with him but either way what’s ur opinions and holes I guess for the young prospects that will be on the team this year or next year? Fix Wolonsky, Foudy, Bemstrom, Sherwood, Texier, Robinson, Gavrikov, And others have talent and plenty of upside. Do u think these players will show enough that will make the departures that we have easier to handle and also give our team lots of hope and be competitive to win

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Ok, here is my take. Texier is a legit NHL player and will be at least a 3rd line main stay and might even be able to play on the second line. Bemstrom is the biggest wild card. Jarmo talks about him like he is a serious type of Calder candidate. He has a great shot but is not overwhelming in any other category. Might be a solid third line contributor. Likely to make the team because Jarmo usually forces the guys he likes into NHL roles. Foudy has tremendous speed but is largely undeveloped. Seems he is likely to start the year in Cleveland and see how he develops. Fix Wolonsky could be Abramov 2.0. It is rare for a small guy to develop into a Cam Atkinson. I do not expect much from him. Robinson and Sherwood seem like depth grinders who can fill in on the 4th line, occasionally on 3rd line. Gavrikov will be a starter this year. The one who could be a difference maker is Bemstrom if he is actually as good as Jarmo thinks he is. I do not think either Texier or Bemstrom are enough to make up for the loss of Bread and Duchene. The extent to which they can contribute may depend upon how Jarmo fills in the second line center position. If Jarmo brings someone new in who can play second line center so that Boone can play 3C, ti could bode well for both Texier and Bemstron. If they wind up stuck on a line with Wennberg, his lack of offensive aggressiveness could hurt the level of contribution Tex and Bem could provide.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Year after year, Jarmo has let a lot of older free agents walk only to be replaced by a new class of incoming rookies. This year will be no different, aside from losing players the caliber of Panarin and Bob. From the forward group that we had last season, we are losing bread and likely adding Texier and Bemstrom. I except Texier to play the majority of the season in a top 6 role, while
Bemstrom is primarily bottom 6 with pp time.

Foudy is less likely to make the team, I think judging by Jarmo’s comments, but if he can make it, he just might be filling the biggest hole on our roster.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
No.

I don't like the idea of relying on teenagers to be big contributors. Too much pressure early on has stunted the growth of many players here in Columbus in the early years. Gavrikov is clearly more experienced than the others and I expect Texier to be the most ready of the forward bunch but he was clearly outmanned against Boston.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Young guys aren't going to offset the loss of the UFA's.

I see 3 spots on offense. Figure to be Tex, Bemstrom & Robinsin imo. Possibly Foudy in place of one of them or Wennie if he retreats to Torts' dog house.

One less if Zucc signs.

I believe Gavrikov will be atop 6 guy on D.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

I see 3 spots on offense. Figure to be Tex, Bemstrom & Robinsin imo. Possibly Foudy in place of one of them or Wennie if he retreats to Torts' dog house.

One less if Zucc signs.

Signing Zucc & Johansson should be the goal. It allows us to keep Wennberg out of the top 6 and maybe give Bemstrom a shot at the top 6 LW. Or swap him with Tex depending on how the season goes.

Zucc-Dubois-Atkinson
Tex/Bemstrom-Johansson-Bjork
Foligno-Jenner-Anderson
Tex/Bemstrom-Nash/Wennberg-Dubinsky
Hannikainen/Robinson

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Texier would have to absolutely flop in camp to not make the team, regardless of who leaves/comes in UFA/trades. I think it's fair to assume he could approach 30-35 points next year while earning lots of top 6 and powerplay time. Maybe even more.

I figure we'll sign at least one UFA, and bring in another forward by dealing a defenseman (which appears to most likely be Murray, according to TSN). That's two spots filled, but plenty of opportunity still exists for young guys like Bemstrom and Foudy to copete or a job, but will likely head back to junior/AHL.

Next year is going to sting a bit. The division is so tough, and the East itself is pretty brutal. I'm not saying the wheels completely fall off and we finish in the bottom 5, but I can't see this as a playoff team unless some sudden huge moves are made. Possible, I guess, but not likely that will happen. Still, the foundation is fairly solid on the team, but we need some high end pieces. Unfortunately, that is pretty difficult to get. I see us finishing 5-10 points below the playoff line and picking in the 6-12 range.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

One less if Zucc signs.

He will be much better then a top 6 the guy has easy 2/3 skills.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If we do not have a significant UFA signing, or a big trade to add a significant forward, I think we are easily a Lottery Team and all of the momentum built last Spring to rally the City around the Jackets will be list.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Do u think these players will show enough that will make the departures that we have easier to handle and also give our team lots of hope and be competitive to win

No.

We're losing a PPG forward, an elite Goaltender, a 1/2 C and a pretty good scoring forward (Dzingel).

No way the kids get close to matching their production.

Reactions: CPTN71

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
1) Where does non true 1st liner and non prospect Dubois fit into this?

2) Why do most people continue to "ignore" that Duchene only played 20-30 games out of the last 3+ years, and Dzingel really didn't have a positive impact for more than 5 or so games in his stretch in Columbus? The team was good before both guys. Dzingel's impact and skill is easily made up by 1 of Texier (who wasn't apart of the team) and/or Bemstrom.

There is only so much ("prime") icetime available. Having Duchene (or any other "top" center) simply takes away ice time and "opportunity" from Dubois. As we saw last year when Duchene was brought in, Dubois' "rhythm" seemed to be knocked off a bit from lesser (PP) icetime and linemates. He has proven the last 2 years (imo I guess) that he is not only ready for it, but the PRIME/HEAVY icetime would be best for PLD's development. Sure, playing with Panarin might boost your offensive numbers and decimals a bit more, but I'd also argue that playing with him has helped Dubois develop a more complete game having to cover for Panarin's offensive minded play. Sorry if that goes against the narrative of supposedly defensively impactful Panarin.

3) The continuous downplaying of Korpisalo (that will continue into training camp) is something I also find fascinating. Really is sad that so many (CBJ) fans don't have confidence in him to even give him a shot to start. Looking at how most current starting goalies (and Bobrovsky) took over their job along with their actual skills at the time, we should be excited about Merklikins yes, BUT WE (as a "fanbase") SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY EXCITED about Korpisalo and where he is at. I know, "Decimal points and Vezina's". Where was Bobrovsky as a player when he took over in Columbus, and how soon was he considered great or "elite"?

4) There is NO WAY Jarmo doesn't sign a legitimate impactful forward or trades a defenseman for 1 in the near future.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No.

We're losing a PPG forward, an elite Goaltender, a 1/2 C and a pretty good scoring forward (Dzingel).

No way the kids get close to matching their production.

What baseline are we using here? If Bob played like an elite goaltender last year, and we had Duchene all year as a 1/2 and Dzingel all year as a pretty good scoring forward, then the Jackets would have had like 290 some goals for and 200 goals against. We would have been well over 110 points, and have had a lot of room to fall and still be decent.

The numbers by the way, come from 1) replacing Wennberg and Duclair's goal scoring with Duchene and Dzingel's, and 2) replacing the ~.910 team save percentage with a .923.

Reactions: Viqsi

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
What baseline are we using here? If Bob played like an elite goaltender last year, and we had Duchene all year as a 1/2 and Dzingel all year as a pretty good scoring forward, then the Jackets would have had like 290 some goals for and 200 goals against. We would have been well over 110 points, and have had a lot of room to fall and still be decent.

The numbers by the way, come from 1) replacing Wennberg and Duclair's goal scoring with Duchene and Dzingel's, and 2) replacing the ~.910 team save percentage with a .923.

Bob played bad early on behind our elite blue line and the team was pretty average.
Bob played much better behind that same blue line and we played like one of best teams in league.
I'm not a huge Bob guy either but he is an elite goalie. Not every night but over the course of the season he is top 5 goalie. Now replacing him we have a lot of unproven guys who will need to play 82 games. Could they be better than Bob? Sure. And I could win the lottery this week.

It's great that all those other teams gave us all that firepower for free... Oh wait we had to trade valuable assets to get Duchene and Dzingle and a 3rd pairing dman and 3rd/4th string goalie.

Baseline I'm using is the team we iced going into the playoffs. The team that beat Tampa. The team that played Boston tough. That is my baseline.

Using your logic we barely got in and lost Panarin and Bob for entire year. Lost Duchene and Dzingle for 30 games plus playoffs. What baseline do you think we are at now? Somewhere below the playoff line I would assume. We lost an elite goalie and 3 guys who could score some goals.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
I'm not a big fan of Korpisalo but he has shown steady improvement. Merklikins has been called the best player not in the NHL. Even if he lives up to the hype, we are still probably looking at a slight drop in goaltending. Forward lines are not looking good, but may improve during the season. With the addition of Gavrikov, I think a good defence will be even better. We have to do something about our offence.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
No.

I don't like the idea of relying on teenagers to be big contributors. Too much pressure early on has stunted the growth of many players here in Columbus in the early years. Gavrikov is clearly more experienced than the others and I expect Texier to be the most ready of the forward bunch but he was clearly outmanned against Boston.

What teenagers are we relying on? Bemstrom isn't a teenager. Gavrikov isn't a teenager. The only teenager who is likely to make the team is Texier and he has already proven he is ready.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Texier will still have his struggles at times most likely. He came in when the teams juices were flowing and benefited some from that. He came down a bit in the Boston series.
He's young and it'll happen. Hopefully he pushes through and the coaches have some patience.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Texier will still have his struggles at times most likely. He came in when the teams juices were flowing and benefited some from that. He came down a bit in the Boston series.
He's young and it'll happen. Hopefully he pushes through and the coaches have some patience.

I wouldn't say the Boston series is a better gauge than his previous work. Since when do we expect any offensive players to look good against Boston?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The loss of Panarin and Duchene were tough to take, however I'm over it now and ready to see the newest young guys in action. Especially Elvis.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->