Salary Cap: Our three 2017-2018 RFAs

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
As we question wether to resign players like Bozak and JVR,as important for future cap considerations are how much we give to supporting cast players. Next year we have 3 RFA's of importance..

Zaitsev
Brown
Hyman

Do we just qualify them all on bridge deals or does Lou give them longer term contracts? All three are playing important roles on the team. What are each player's comparables?

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Already a Zaitsev contract thread.
Can't see the other 2 demanding anything over 1.5 at the moment.

0 concerns

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Really too early to guess, with rookies anything can happen. Maybe Brown has a great second half?

We know Zaitsev is going to get some money but the other 2 do look like under 2 mil guys who will want short term deals so they can get more when they are more productive.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Brown and Hyman will likely receive short term deals. Good young players but obviously aren't exactly going to be commanding huge contracts right now. There is no rush to sign them to long-term deals.

Zaitsev will probably ask between 4M-5M long-term... maybe a bridge deal between around 3M is possible though. It might be more prudent to give him a bridge deal to make sure he's the real deal.

Our cap structure right now is just amazing. So much room and options moving forward. It won't last forever but we can add a one or two big time players over the next couple years to go with the young core of players we drafted.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Go long term with Zaitsev to lower his cap hit. Im fine with that, given he is a mature player already.

Brown and Hyman should be in the 1.5-2.25 range.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Being 24 years old, Hyman is just three years away from UFA, unlike many guys coming off ELCs.
Hyman is playing on the first line, though years from now, he probably won't be that high in the lineup.
Want him on your team in the upcoming years. Pay him like a man, and if you think he's in the long term plan, offer a long term contract.
Hyman. 6 years at 2.2m a year

Brown is somewhat in the same boat though being younger, I believe he is four years away from UFA.
Both Hyman and Brown are Toronto area guys who seem to want to be here and Leaf management likes them too.
Brown 6 years at 2.0m a year.

Zaitsev is somewhat in same position as Panarin. He's 25 I believe 3 years away from UFA. Looks like he the Leafs # 1 RHD.
6 years at 4.6m a year.

IMO, it would set an example to the other Leafs and young teammates, that you are wanted/needed and the play well and your long term financial security is guaranteed. Marner and Brown are long time friends and Matthews is a good friend with Marner. Doesn't hurt of keeping it "all in the family."

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I'd probably try to extend Hyman & Zaits to long term contracts, bet Babcock won't be willing to give up his Hyman for a long time

The Big Chief

Dec 2, 2013
Markham/London
Being 24 years old, Hyman is just three years away from UFA, unlike many guys coming off ELCs.
Hyman is playing on the first line, though years from now, he probably won't be that high in the lineup.
Want him on your team in the upcoming years. Pay him like a man, and if you think he's in the long term plan, offer a long term contract.
Hyman. 6 years at 2.2m a year

Brown is somewhat in the same boat though being younger, I believe he is four years away from UFA.
Both Hyman and Brown are Toronto area guys who seem to want to be here and Leaf management likes them too.
Brown 6 years at 2.0m a year.

Zaitsev is somewhat in same position as Panarin. He's 25 I believe 3 years away from UFA. Looks like he the Leafs # 1 RHD.
6 years at 4.6m a year.

IMO, it would set an example to the other Leafs and young teammates, that you are wanted/needed and the play well and your long term financial security is guaranteed. Marner and Brown are long time friends and Matthews is a good friend with Marner. Doesn't hurt of keeping it "all in the family."

Nice try, Nonis.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
It's actually a more involved question as some posters have noted. Dealing with cap successfully is being able to read the crystal ball and look years ahead. Until 2019-2020, we have a ton of cap space, which would allow the Leafs to use the 35% variability rule (I believe and correct me if I'm wrong) for front loading contracts. As we have seen with teams really tight up against the cap, even $500K can make a difference.

Add to this that a good contract is as important as skill (eg. JVR).

Looking ahead to our "core" in 2019-2020, I think this reasonable..
Anderson: 5
Kadri: 4.5
Reilly: 5
Martin: 2.5K
Zaitsev: 4.5 (buying out RFA years)
Mathews: 8 (buying out RFA years)
Marner: 7 (buying out RFA years)
Nylander: 7 (buying out RFA years)

That's $43.5 for 8 players.

Needing a new contract will be Gardiner and if continues to play well, he could get 5 easily. If Hyman and Brown are future $3million/yr players, is it worth signing them longer, front loading their contracts over the next two years when we have cap to spare? If they are $3million players, then they can still be traded, especially if their actual salary is less than cap value (for budget teams).

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Caveman:

Your list is probably quite accurate, 7 players at 41m. 16 players now share 40m.

Guys like Gardiner (if he continues to progress) might be out the Leafs cap range. Hence the importance of having successful drafts and young guys on ELCs and moderate RFA contracts.
Valiev, Dermot, Nielsen on the defence?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As we question wether to resign players like Bozak and JVR,as important for future cap considerations are how much we give to supporting cast players. Next year we have 3 RFA's of importance..

Zaitsev
Brown
Hyman

Do we just qualify them all on bridge deals or does Lou give them longer term contracts? All three are playing important roles on the team. What are each player's comparables?

Pay now for Zaitsev and lock up a top 4 RHD on the cheap

Zaitsev 6 years at 4.5-4.75M per (like the Voynov deal)

Brown 2 years at 1.5M per

Hyman 2 years at 1.1M per

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Caveman:

Your list is probably quite accurate, 7 players at 41m. 16 players now share 40m.

Guys like Gardiner (if he continues to progress) might be out the Leafs cap range. Hence the importance of having successful drafts and young guys on ELCs and moderate RFA contracts.
Valiev, Dermot, Nielsen on the defence?

I agree as well, which is why I didn't put Gards in that list. And yes, we will have rookies replacing more expensive vets. I guess my point is: how much of a risk is it, or is it better, to lock up at relatively inexpensive and more long term contracts role players like Brown and Hyman if it might mean saving $2 million a few years from now. Does it make them more tradeable if they are locked in if the Leafs decide to move on from them?

The bigger risk is a guy like Brown who is small yet plays hard. Gallagher is having a crap year and looks slow from the wear and tear, even if he is still young.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
It's actually a more involved question as some posters have noted. Dealing with cap successfully is being able to read the crystal ball and look years ahead. Until 2019-2020, we have a ton of cap space, which would allow the Leafs to use the 35% variability rule (I believe and correct me if I'm wrong) for front loading contracts. As we have seen with teams really tight up against the cap, even $500K can make a difference.

Add to this that a good contract is as important as skill (eg. JVR).

Looking ahead to our "core" in 2019-2020, I think this reasonable..
Anderson: 5
Kadri: 4.5
Reilly: 5
Martin: 2.5K
Zaitsev: 4.5 (buying out RFA years)
Mathews: 8 (buying out RFA years)
Marner: 7 (buying out RFA years)
Nylander: 7 (buying out RFA years)

That's $43.5 for 8 players.

Needing a new contract will be Gardiner and if continues to play well, he could get 5 easily. If Hyman and Brown are future $3million/yr players, is it worth signing them longer, front loading their contracts over the next two years when we have cap to spare? If they are $3million players, then they can still be traded, especially if their actual salary is less than cap value (for budget teams).

Nylander is more like 6 if he has a good year. Gaudreau got 6.75 and he was 6th in scoring last year.

Marner and Matthews have another year to boost their value so maybe they can get into that range.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

this looks good , maybe a year more and and around 2m per for Brown

Babs will probably be pushing for a Clarkson type deal for his son , fortunately for the team/us Lou has control of the purse strings.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I agree with Zaitsev and Hyman but I'd be tempted to sign Brown a little bit longer
He's got enough skill and defensive ability to play up and down the lineup which gives Babcock more flexibility
3-4 years 2 - 2.25 million?

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
I agree with Zaitsev and Hyman but I'd be tempted to sign Brown a little bit longer
He's got enough skill and defensive ability to play up and down the lineup which gives Babcock more flexibility
3-4 years 2 - 2.25 million?

That's my point here. Is it better that we sign someone like Brown, for round numbers, 4 years at 2.5, with the cap heavier during the first two years so that when things get tighter in 19-20, his cap hit is negligible?

If Tavares is in the plans, and we are offering 9 million/yr, then in 19-20 we realistically have around 50 million taken up by 9 players. Taking up cap space over the next two years, when we have tons of space, seems to be a good use of the cap.

And that's no Gardiner or Kapanen who will be UFA and RFA.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Sign Zaitsev long term.

Brown long term for low $$$
Hyman qualify him & see if anyone else gets fooled.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Isn't Hyman our best penalty killer? Guy deserves some props. While miscast perhaps, he has been more than solid. I don' understand the hate.

You don't understand the hate because it's not hate, it's just not love. He's a good penalty killer, best? Who knows. But you don't waste a contract on a player just to penalty kill. Brown, Sosh & Komarov are pretty good on the PK, same with Smith & he's a faceoff man. You know Marner is also a good penalty killer, so is Kapanen, they also add an offensive threat to the PK, but we may not want them blocking shots. You only want to be short handed 2 or 3 times a game. That's 2-3 mins on the ice killing penalties. I just think that Hymans skill level will make him insignificant to this club in a year or two. Babcock likes his work ethic, but I think his lack of skill will trump his effort. That's not hate it's a legit opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->