Our Team Identity

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
We are currently seeing our team identity molded into the type of team(s) which gave our dominant & Cup Era Wings teams fits. We are fast, pretty skilled, decent depth, hard working, resilient, fairly big & physical, mix of youth & vets, & seem to be able to play any style of hockey, which is a trademark for a good team. We're obviously not "there" yet, but it is coming...

Our speed, work ethic & resiliency are our core attributes, the type that win playoff games. Our 93-2009 dominant teams often relied on skill too much & it cost them a few times. It is no coincidence that when Holmstrom came aboard we converted more chances (playoff type/garbage goals) & the rest is history.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You really think it wise to credit Holmstrom and not Shanahan with that identity change?

I actually think people forget that the Wings were a really hard team to play against physically. On a night where we play the Avs it went up another notch after the incident in 96, but man Lapointe, Draper, Maltby, Vladdy, Shanny and more are really tough guys to play against. As time goes on, that is generally one of the things the other old timers talk about in terms of that team. Yes they were talented, but Detroit took hits to make plays and could really grind with you if they made that choice. The 97 and 98 team had a ton more jam than most seem to remember.

I agree with the overarching point. They are following what Winnipeg did in my opinion. They are fast and enjoy the rougher elements more than some of the teams in the league. They need a little more skill in this group and I do think they will add it over the next couple of years. Man Trouba perfectly fits our group if he ever goes UFA, not surprising considering what I just said above. :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The next draft or two will have a big say in our eventual identity.

Also we will probably have a new coach by the time we are legitimately good again.

So this is a pretty premature conversation at this point. Plus I’m pretty sure if you said we were a hard working team (with Mantha/AA/Blashill’s perception) a few months ago people would have laughed.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
You really think it wise to credit Holmstrom and not Shanahan with that identity change?

I actually think people forget that the Wings were a really hard team to play against physically. On a night where we play the Avs it went up another notch after the incident in 96, but man Lapointe, Draper, Maltby, Vladdy, Shanny and more are really tough guys to play against. As time goes on, that is generally one of the things the other old timers talk about in terms of that team. Yes they were talented, but Detroit took hits to make plays and could really grind with you if they made that choice. The 97 and 98 team had a ton more jam than most seem to remember.

I agree with the overarching point. They are following what Winnipeg did in my opinion. They are fast and enjoy the rougher elements more than some of the teams in the league. They need a little more skill in this group and I do think they will add it over the next couple of years. Man Trouba perfectly fits our group if he ever goes UFA, not surprising considering what I just said above. :laugh:
Agreed the Cup Era teams could play any style, but just meant that on occassion they seemed to take too many games off, relying on skill until it was too late, especially the '06-'10 teams. This team seems to block more shots than any RW team I recall.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Honestly, I'd credit New Jersey handing them their rears in 95 and then Turtle re-arranging Draper's face. They upped their physical play a lot between 95 and 96, and the following year they just kept building on it - especially after adding Shanny and then Kocur. I've been looking forward to a more physical team again.

Reactions: Oddbob and ealong59

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I haven't watched a ton of games this season tbf, but one of the main things I've noticed while watching is that this team looks a lot more resilient than what we saw only a couple of seasons ago. I don't ever see this team doing any bullying but I doubt that they'll let teams bully them around either, Boston tried and they responded. And they're certainly fast, add a couple more speedsters and we'd probably qualify as one of the faster teams around.

One thing I've noticed while reading on here and Reddit is that other teams fans are already starting to hate Bertuzzi, and I just can't help but smile when I read all the salt, he's definitely a chirpy and an annoying prick and I'm just glad he's ok the wings. Would really like to see Givani Smith take the next step and make the team at some point, that would be something to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil Bert

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Does Blashill get any credit here? Is he molding the players into what they are becoming?
Depends on who you ask. I feel it's common think amoung fans that when they are winning it's all because of the players but when they are losing, boy does Trashill suck.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
How much influence do you think he has had on that?
I can't help to think his influence is inevitable. not saying hes a great coach or anything, just asking Wings fans if they think Blashill has anything to do with the development of some players. AA sure looks like he's turned a corner. Guys like Larkin and Mantha are always talking about "having to play better". Thats the Babcock/Blashill mantra.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We are currently seeing our team identity molded into the type of team(s) which gave our dominant & Cup Era Wings teams fits. We are fast, pretty skilled, decent depth, hard working, resilient, fairly big & physical, mix of youth & vets, & seem to be able to play any style of hockey, which is a trademark for a good team. We're obviously not "there" yet, but it is coming...

Our speed, work ethic & resiliency are our core attributes, the type that win playoff games. Our 93-2009 dominant teams often relied on skill too much & it cost them a few times. It is no coincidence that when Holmstrom came aboard we converted more chances (playoff type/garbage goals) & the rest is history.

What? Shanny was the catalyst for the change. 62 wins and can't make a Cup final to back to back champions. And frankly, you would have been insane to NOT rely on skill with the roster the late 90s Wings had. That being said... it wasn't relying too much on skill that would kill the Wings. It was running into a hot goalie and age. The Wings had a bunch of slow skaters. They had a couple burners like Fedorov... but so many of those really good players they had were cerebral guys or guys who had about a million miles of tread taken off their tires.

I mean, hell, the "best team ever" in 2001-2002 would have lost to Vancouver if not for Dan Cloutier blowing an easy center ice shot from Lidstrom and Yzerman playing out of his mind on one leg.

The Wings right now have fast skaters who are hard working and resilient. That's it. They're not overly skilled (most of their goals are of the grind and pray variety). They have guys who are physically big, but they're not overly physical. They can hold up against strong teams in regular season play, but if they were to play Boston in a best of seven, they'd get mauled.

We have our currently developing team identity because it is what unskilled teams do to hang on against teams with more talent than them. And really, all of the positive that you're seeing right now? It's because Jimmy Howard is playing fantastic hockey right now. Boston? That was a win cause Howard stood on his head. 2 goals on 40 shots. Building your team identity on what they are doing right now is putting the foundation of your team on sand. The goalie play slips up at all, they're sunk. One of their play drivers (AA or Larkin) goes down with any kind of injury, they're sunk. Mike Green goes down with an injury, they're sunk.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How much influence do you think he has had on that?

Well both Mantha and Larkin have credited him with growth over the last 12 months.

I am not sure AA has said it publicly.

Larkin in particular credited the way he was playing this season with finally buying in to a lot of the things Blash has been preaching to him for four years so there is that.

Reactions: Ezekial

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well both Mantha and Larkin have credited him with growth over the last 12 months.

I am not sure AA has said it publicly.

Larkin in particular credited the way he was playing this season with finally buying in to a lot of the things Blash has been preaching to him for four years so there is that.

Serious question: has Mantha grown? His numbers look to nearly mirror last season's and he's still been hit or miss with the eye test regarding his effort level. AA has been night and day compared to last season, though. Guy's really answered the bell, imo.

You know I haven't been enamored with Blashill's ability to always work a system that fit the talent at this disposal, but I think he's done all a coach can do to get a player to grow. How much of a player's ability to grow and buy into what he is being told is purely on the player? I'm not sure the answer to it, but I'm guessing it leans more towards the player than the coach.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Despite our record, I’ve enjoyed watching this season more than any other post their last playoff run in 2013.

After years of being a Eurocentric finnese team, our forwards are suddenly very big, fast, and chippy. What they lack in talent of past itterations, they make up in entertainment value and heart.

We got something good building here boys, just a few more pieces away

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Serious question: has Mantha grown? His numbers look to nearly mirror last season's and he's still been hit or miss with the eye test regarding his effort level. AA has been night and day compared to last season, though. Guy's really answered the bell, imo.

You know I haven't been enamored with Blashill's ability to always work a system that fit the talent at this disposal, but I think he's done all a coach can do to get a player to grow. How much of a player's ability to grow and buy into what he is being told is purely on the player? I'm not sure the answer to it, but I'm guessing it leans more towards the player than the coach.

Since the Dallas game Mantha has been very good in my opinion. I notice at least one or two nice defensive plays a game now. He is a lot more engaged.

I think we are seeing improvements in a lot of guys. But they needed to make those improvements if they wanted to stay in the league. Hoping they can take another step over the last 50 odd games and in the summer.

I don't think Blashill will be here next year. Though we do know Yzerman likes his system so that isn't as open and shut as a lot of folks around here believe in my opinion.

If we play the whole year like we have played since the back to back debacles with a ton of compete and lots of growth from the young kids he might just get an extension.

Reactions: Ezekial and Frk It

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
It's really a bend don't break identity until we do something about the backend.

I do agree with others though, we are building a chippy identity. Just need a couple more line drivers up front and talent on the backend.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's really a bend don't break identity until we do something about the backend.

I do agree with others though, we are building a chippy identity. Just need a couple more line drivers up front and talent on the backend.

You mean McIsaac, Hronek, Lindström added on defence and Veleno + 2019 1st round Center to drive those offensive lines ?

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I really enjoy the speed and physicality of this new generation of Red Wings. If we can add a few high skill guys (Zadina+Berggren panning out and a top 3 guy this year would go a long way...) i think we’re well on our way to being an extremely entertaining contender again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad