News Article: Our sad offense in numbers.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Some numbers from Bill Hoppe's article.

-Our 6.73% shooting percentage is worst in league.

-As is our 1.93 goals game.

- Our current scoring pace would lead to a total of 159 goals. Which is only 9 more goals than we scored in 13-14. When we scored the least amount of goals ever in 82gms for this franchise.

- We scored 21% of our goals this season in the 6-2 Oilers game. It's also the only time we scored more than 3 goals this year.

- none of our dmen have scored a goal.

One positive is we've been somewhat effective on the PP (11th in NHL). We just don't draw many penalties.

Disco says in the article we need to play in a way that draws penalties and stop taking them

Crazy thought here but maybe attacking and not sitting back would do that.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Some numbers from Bill Hoppe's article.

-Our 6.73% shooting percentage is worst in league.

-As is our 1.93 goals game.

- Our current scoring pace would lead to a total of 159 goals. Which is only 9 more goals than we scored in 13-14. When we scored the least amount of goals ever in 82gms for this franchise.

- We scored 21% of our goals this season in the 6-2 Oilers game. It's also the only time we scored more than 3 goals this year.

- none of our dmen have scored a goal.

One positive is we've been somewhat effective on the PP (11th in NHL). We just don't draw many penalties.

Disco says in the article we need to play in a way that draws penalties and stop taking them

Crazy thought here but maybe attacking and not sitting back would do that.

Discos mindset is to just tread water at even strength and win on the PP, correct? How does he not see it's incredibly counterproductive? Playing a super passive style isn't conducive to drawing penalties. Not to mention our PP2 unit is awful anyway, so there's really only about a minute to score with the man advantage.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
It's totally reasonable that a team with O'Reilly, Okposo, Reinhart, and Ristolainen would be on pace to rival the worst offense this franchise has ever seen.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I wanted to punch something reading his thoughts on OT. What is the end game with playing 2 dmen and being conservative? I get the end game goal with playing conservative during regulation. It's to try and get at least a point. But you already have that point when OT starts. You need to score in OT or win a shootout to get the other point. Your not going to get the point taken away you already earned. So why sit back?

And I'm trying to reconcile those comments with the ones he made when hired. These are the new ideas he learned studying the game during his year off? They are about as old school and unoriginal as you can get.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I wanted to punch something reading his thoughts on OT. What is the end game with playing 2 dmen and being conservative? I get the end game goal with playing conservative during regulation. It's to try and get at least a point. But you already have that point when OT starts. You need to score in OT or win a shootout to get the other point. Your not going to get the point taken away you already earned. So why sit back as much as Disco did.

And I'm trying to reconcile those comments with the ones he made when hired. These are the new ideas he learned studying the game during his year off? They are about as old school and unoriginal as you can get.

Well he obviously sees the massive advantage Buffalo has in shoot-outs!

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I wanted to punch something reading his thoughts on OT. What is the end game with playing 2 dmen and being conservative? I get the end game goal with playing conservative during regulation. It's to try and get at least a point. But you already have that point when OT starts. You need to score in OT or win a shootout to get the other point. Your not going to get the point taken away you already earned. So why sit back as much as Disco did.

And I'm trying to reconcile his comments with the ones he made when hired. This is what he learned studying the game during his season away from coaching.

You're trying to use too much logic. He obviously isn't the best critical thinker in more ways than that.

I'm going to have a massive problem with Murray if he doesn't fix this problem.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Agree. This is the worst thing about these injuries. Not the Sabres position in the standings, nor their eventual ability or lack thereof to push for the playoffs. It's disappointing.

I hope Murray stands by his statement that injuries are not an excuse.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Yes injuries are a major factor, but they should still be scoring more than 1 god damn goal a game. The entire strategy right now is playing not to lose/playing a slow boring game and hoping to eek out a 2-1 win, or somehow pulling out a shootout/OT win. It's very frustrating to watch.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yes injuries are a major factor, but they should still be scoring more than 1 god damn goal a game. The entire strategy right now is playing not to lose/playing a slow boring game and hoping to eek out a 2-1 win, or somehow pulling out a shootout/OT win. It's very frustrating to watch.

It's funny how Bylsma disregarded development in favor of getting more wins last season and now he's desperately trying to just eek out points :laugh:

His mindset could be destructive for this team

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think its funny all the Bylsma is the problem guys are so afraid to criticize Tim Murray. Just remember the system we play was all part of Tim Murray's master plan, and he wanted the entire organization to follow the plan.

The dominoes fell into place precisely as the Sabres hockey department drew it up a year ago, when Lambert was added to Dan Bylsma's staff. The idea was for him to spend a year in the NHL acclimating, then assume the coaching reins of the American Hockey League team.

"This is exactly what I was talking about," Murray said Monday evening. "Dan spent the year with the big club; he knows how we want to play, he knows the structure and system. I'm happy with how things worked out."
http://www.democratandchronicle.com...an-lambert-taking-over-amerks-coach/84457890/

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I think its funny all the Bylsma is the problem guys are so afraid to criticize Tim Murray. Just remember the system we play was all part of Tim Murray's master plan, and he wanted the entire organization to follow the plan.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...an-lambert-taking-over-amerks-coach/84457890/

It's because their favorite players aren't cutting it, so it must be the coaches fault. For years, all we've heard on this forum was "two way players" and "skilled scorers are not important". Well, this is the team you asked for, and this is the result.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I feel cheated... Bylsma is going to get a pass for injuries this season.

I wouldn't be so sure. If he's good, Murray's able to evaluate based on what talent is available to the coach. TM isn't just ignoring every little in-game decision Bylsma makes because there are injuries. He's asking Dan to justify certain decisions each game and then evaluating based on his answers. Every interview Tim gives has more or less confirmed this. He almost always sees the same things we see so I wouldn't worry.

Plus, his mentor/uncle had an itchy trigger finger when it came to firing coaches. So I'm optimistic -- unless Bylsma really turns it around after Eichel returns, I don't see him staying very long.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It's because their favorite players aren't cutting it, so it must be the coaches fault. For years, all we've heard on this forum was "two way players" and "skilled scorers are not important". Well, this is the team you asked for, and this is the result.

This is the biggest pile of bull ever. I don't even know where to start...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad