Post-Game Talk: Our rings vs their rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Jensen's in-zone coverage was questionable-at-best tonight, but he was very effective at denying zone entries and helping get the puck out of the zone. He's going to be a polarizing player.
It’s easy to see his mistakes, and mistakes by others that highlights his limitations. I don’t expect everyone to see how very good he is at using his skating and quickness for puck possession better than any def on the roster.

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I've been so happy the past 2 days with the Nationals comeback wildcard win against the Brewers last night and tonight's Capitals comeback win in the opener against the defending champs. There is no give up in Washington!

Let's keep it going the rest of the week!

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Overall a really good game and fun to watch. Top two lines were great, bottom two were just OK. Defense is going to need some time to gel. Siegenthalers skating needs to improve, especially his lateral movement and Jensen continues to worry me. But if we continue to forecheck aggressively that will help.

Reactions: Pomee

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I really liked Eller between Vrana and Oshie. Having Eller there along with Oshie seems to free Vrana up a bit.

Would actually like to see Kuznetsov start on the third line. He'll have two responsible wingers so he ideally doesn't get crushed on his side of the ice and his creativity could help unlock Panik a bit.

Stephenson's lack of ability to do anything offensively is ultimately going to cost him a spot in the lineup.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Such a statement game honestly. Had to pause OT for dinner. Communication needs to come but their system executed well allowed them to play so well in the last 50min of that game.

Reactions: TheFountainhead

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Ovi could of bad 3-4 goals it feels like.

Another year of him being older - but he’s still slinging that puck and being a force. Looks like he still is the same 50 goal guy

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
After the 1st 10 min.s they got it together pretty well. Can't really complain after the couple early mistakes, team D was good, barely allowed any odd-man breaks against, showed some good physicality all through, Hathaway will be a good agitator

Exposed STL a lot in the 2nd and chunks of the 3rd with odd-man breaks, should've had a couple more goals

OV not missing a beat, Carlson strong is great to see, Vrana getting chances, Sieg hung in pretty well for top pair duty; bottom 6 didn't really do a whole lot but they didn't really hurt things either, 1 game sample size won't tell too much other than
Hockey is Back! and nice to start with a W

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Lot of OV and Vrana talk, and they deserve praise.

But I thought Wilson looked like an absolute AN-I-MAL tonight. His offensive instincts look like they've taken a huge stride even from last year, and I thought he legitamitely had 6 or so scoring chances on just using speed, grit, and smarts to be in the right place. Feel like we started to see him really bloosoming last year obviously, but THIS year I could easily seeing this guy entering Marchand-like goal production (yes, flame away).

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
My five thoughts:

-Orlov was our best and most active defender - in all zones. He made no mistakes and really pushed the puck up the ice effectively with his skating and breakout passes.

-Ovechkin is still an absolute animal and was unlucky to not pot a couple of more.

-Fever is young and he's going to make some mistakes that he will learn from, but, he's shown that he absolutely belongs - even if he gets sent down when Kempny comes back. The kid definitely has a bright NHL future.

-Vrana looks like he is going to be able to hit another gear this year - he was dancing around STL's best D all night.

-It's game one and we are already showing signs of being a team with a system - we have talent, but, we can also outskate you and outmuscle you. Really good to see the semblance of a team identity and structure this early on.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
One more thought... its really good to see Oshie back skating. He was the missing ingredient in the Canes series... he never stops hustling, he never makes stupid plays, he's just a beast.

I thought his line with Eller and Vrana was absolutely awesome. They were creating tons of chaos and chances all night.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Selke level of play by O'Reilly on Vrana goal.

To be fair, Vrana has insane-killer closing acceleration. I'd expect this take from a disgruntled Blues fan who wasn't aware how dangerous Jake is with open ice.

I can't think of many large centers (and Ryan is pretty large) who COULD make a good counter to speed like that.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Selke level of play by O'Reilly on Vrana goal.
I thought that at first, second glance I wasn't sure if Vrana was O'Reilly's guy at all, and never saw a third look. Would be interested in a final verdict though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad