Our PP

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Obviously it's not clicking. I don't even think I even saw a time where we were a threat to score on the PP this year. (Other than Smyths goal last night)

The one thing Krueger did have was a respectable Power Play.

I cannot figure out why Eberle isn't on the number 1 unit. I understand that Hemsky has been great this year but to me Eberle should replace him on the first unit.

We also need a big shot on the #1 unit. Perron is good, but I'm not sure he should man the point on the PP. Get Belov out there to blast away.

If we could get out PP in order we wouldn't be 1-3 today.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What, I thought the ultimate survivor Buchy was the genius behind the PP :sarcasm:. And Smith was master of the PK.

It's definitely starting to look like Krueger took the special teams improvement of the last couple years with him. The PP % is actually decent though if you ignore we've only scored 1 one more PPG than SHG we've allowed :handclap:

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
What, I thought the ultimate survivor Buchy was the genius behind the PP :sarcasm:. And Smith was master of the PK.

It's definitely starting to look like Krueger took the special teams improvement of the last couple years with him. The PP % is actually decent though if you ignore we've only scored 1 one more PPG than SHG we've allowed :handclap:

I just don't like the combo's he is using. I know I'm not the coach but why fix what wasn't broken?

Our PP last year was a threat. This year it's a mess.

Team's know J Schultz and Perron don't have a bomb from the point.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
PP has been weak this year. They need to make Yakupov the focal point of the 2nd unit. You watch Tampa's PP and everyone knows the puck is going to Stamkos yet he keeps scoring. Yakupov is such a similar player, I don't see why we don't mimic they're PP setup.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
PP has been weak this year. They need to make Yakupov the focal point of the 2nd unit. You watch Tampa's PP and everyone knows the puck is going to Stamkos yet he keeps scoring. Yakupov is such a similar player, I don't see why we don't mimic they're PP setup.

I agree.

I also am not sure Hall should be on #1 unit. He's having issues and forcing every play. He isn't the best passer out there either. I would swap Hall for Yakupov.

Having #93, #14 (who can both thread the needle) and #64 up front would be good. Who knows, maybe Yak can bury a couple PP goals and get his confidence going.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Because we gotta give Hemsky his warm fuzzies and Smyth his storybook retirement.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Keith Acton runs the PP.

I mentioned it before about having the returning coaches manning the PP. Don't know why they wouldn't.

At any rate, I'd go back to what worked so well. 93/19/4/14 and now 27. Then the second group becomes 83/64/57/77 and 89 when he returns but till then 94 or 6.

Id even consider switching 94 and 27. Smyth provides a better screen for 19's wristers, has his paddle down for 93 to aim for high in the slot, and in general provides a nice net presence. Nuge wins faceoffs fine now with his cyborg shoulder and that 2nd unit looks light on a faceoff guy.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The powerplay looks like it's being run by Mact, especially the Hemsky led setups which are a throwback of the terrible Oiler powerplays of 2006 - 2009.

They have two coaches from the former regime, you'd think they could pass a few pointers about how Kreuger ran the system and utilized his players on the PP.

Koto

May 3, 2011
I agree.

I also am not sure Hall should be on #1 unit. He's having issues and forcing every play. He isn't the best passer out there either. I would swap Hall for Yakupov.

Having #93, #14 (who can both thread the needle) and #64 up front would be good. Who knows, maybe Yak can bury a couple PP goals and get his confidence going.

Yakupov-RNH-Perron would have success, I reckon.

except yakupov and rnh work optimally from the same spot, hall works better on the goal line driving the puck into the net, or curling out for quick shots.

Yakupov needs the half wall to roam on for one timers, which is where RNH does all his best playmaking work.

--------NET--------
--------NF-----4----
--14----------------
---------------93----
---------19-----------

----------NET----------
---89-----NF-----------
--------------------64--
---83--------------------
-----------77-------------

NF – Perron is a guy who needs to be on one of them, other than that guys like Gordon, Jonessu, Smyth

and arco/perron can have gagners spot.

Koto

May 3, 2011
Keith Acton runs the PP.

I mentioned it before about having the returning coaches manning the PP. Don't know why they wouldn't.

At any rate, I'd go back to what worked so well. 93/19/4/14 and now 27. Then the second group becomes 83/64/57/77 and 89 when he returns but till then 94 or 6.

Id even consider switching 94 and 27. Smyth provides a better screen for 19's wristers, has his paddle down for 93 to aim for high in the slot, and in general provides a nice net presence. Nuge wins faceoffs fine now with his cyborg shoulder and that 2nd unit looks light on a faceoff guy.

i agree with your units, although im inclined to move smyth completely off rather than up when completely healthy.

also Nuge does have a pretty sweet cyborg shoulder doesn't he? :naughty:

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
......sucks. Simply unrecognisable from our pp during the last couple of years.
Our special teams are regressing sadly.

freedomisamyth

Nov 10, 2010
haha you guys are hilarious. You do realize the PP is currently 8th in the league (with no RNH for half of those games) and 25% success rate, while last year it was 8th in the league and 20%, right?

Koto

May 3, 2011
haha you guys are hilarious. You do realize the PP is currently 8th in the league (with no RNH for half of those games) and 25% success rate, while last year it was 8th in the league and 20%, right?

are we still top 10? most of league is lighting up the PP so far, goalies are adjusting to pads.

we look massively disorganized, many pps have gone without a shot attempt, and weve given up at least 1 SHG

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The power play wasn't great in terms of generating shots/chances last year either, they just scored on a high percentage of them when they did happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->