Our Poopie Power Play

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm beyond fed up with the ineptitude of the Wild PP( currently 28th in the league).

I'm appalled that our coaching staff has let this situation fester practically all year, and seem to be content to let it limp along as is.

If there is one continuing weakness that the Wild have ( now that DD has saved our goalie situation) it is the PP. To not address this weakness is negligent. At what point will the coaching staff admit that they have a problem in their hands? When we are 30th in the league? When we have missed winning a PO series because of PPPP(Poor Power Play Production )?

Should that happen, would Yeo still come back with the exact same personnel and scheme the next year?

Time to change something, Coach! Dumba on the point to start with. Can you not see that he's a natural there? What have you got to lose?!

Last edited:

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Obligatory PP thoughts

I would love to see the Wild run an umbrella PP 1 with

Put Dumba and Zucker at the top of each circle and Spurgeon in the middle of the umbrella up top. Pair them with Granlund and Parise. You can feed Dumba or Zucker for the 1 timer from the dot...or they can step in and try and pick a corner. Spurgeon's pretty solid at getting the puck through and arguably the best passer on the team.

Long story short...

I think you would see a lot more fluid looking PP. Instead of being so locked in to certain spots in the offensive zone and being as robotic as the Wild 1st PP is at times. Honestly I think that PP could be one of the best in the league.

Line Combos

PP1
Granlund (roaming around offensive zone)
Parise (roaming around offensive zone)
Zucker (right circle)
Dumba (left circle)
Spurgeo (top)

PP2 (I'm fine with them playing the style of PP they do as long as they are the 2nd PP)

Koivu (half-wall)
Vanek (slot)
Nino (front)
Suter
Scandella/Brodin

My reasoning

Why not let the Koivu and Suter transition to the more defensive/shutdown rolls that their is an argument they might thrive in. Plus, give the young guys some confidence. I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say that Suter and Koivu are two of our most consistent players. They don't cut corners and can shut down pretty much any matchup thrown against them.

Obviously that attitude is in no way a bad thing, but because of the style of play both guys are a little bit methodical and tend to lean towards making the safe play at the expense of possible turnovers. They're content to take what the other team gives them and make the opposing team play the entire ice until they make a mistake.

This is a great thing 5 on 5. I expect Koivu's line on most nights to play at least as well as the line they are shutting down. Offensively however Koivu's line really strictly generates offense by chipping the puck in deep, establishing the forecheck, then by establishing the cycle...making the opponent run around and start to scramble. After establishing possession they like to work it up high to the points and then crash the net...looking for tips, rebounds, deflections, screens, etc.

This is your textbook age-old strategy in the offensive zone hockey. It's not flashy because it relies mostly on hard work, positioning, hustle, and grit instead of skill.

BUT...

However it's really only an effective strategy for 5 on 5 hockey. On the PK, teams are very very content to let you pass it around as much as you'd like around the perimeter. And it's harder to cycle because opponents can just ice the puck instead of having to break it out.

To Clarify...

In no way am I hating on Koivu. He definitely is a big part of the identity of Wild hockey and his commitment to the system and cycle opens things up for the rest of the team as they get to face tired defenders. That one step is all the difference. There's a reason that the Wild look so fast this year.

I think that letting other guys take some of the responsibility on the 1st PP could not only make both guys more effective 5 v 5 players, but they could eat large PK minutes too--instead of guys like Prosser.

Hopefully giving some of the young guys some confidence and more PP time (which in a vacuum there's a lot of guys who deserve a shot as the current PP has been nothing special) helps their games step forward even more.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Obligatory PP thoughts

I would love to see the Wild run an umbrella PP 1 with

Put Dumba and Zucker at the top of each circle and Spurgeon in the middle of the umbrella up top. Pair them with Granlund and Parise. You can feed Dumba or Zucker for the 1 timer from the dot...or they can step in and try and pick a corner. Spurgeon's pretty solid at getting the puck through and arguably the best passer on the team.

Long story short...

I think you would see a lot more fluid looking PP. Instead of being so locked in to certain spots in the offensive zone and being as robotic as the Wild 1st PP is at times. Honestly I think that PP could be one of the best in the league.

Line Combos

PP1
Granlund (roaming around offensive zone)
Parise (roaming around offensive zone)
Zucker (right circle)
Dumba (left circle)
Spurgeo (top)

PP2 (I'm fine with them playing the style of PP they do as long as they are the 2nd PP)

Koivu (half-wall)
Vanek (slot)
Nino (front)
Suter
Scandella/Brodin

My reasoning

Why not let the Koivu and Suter transition to the more defensive/shutdown rolls that their is an argument they might thrive in. Plus, give the young guys some confidence. I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say that Suter and Koivu are two of our most consistent players. They don't cut corners and can shut down pretty much any matchup thrown against them.

Obviously that attitude is in no way a bad thing, but because of the style of play both guys are a little bit methodical and tend to lean towards making the safe play at the expense of possible turnovers. They're content to take what the other team gives them and make the opposing team play the entire ice until they make a mistake.

This is a great thing 5 on 5. I expect Koivu's line on most nights to play at least as well as the line they are shutting down. Offensively however Koivu's line really strictly generates offense by chipping the puck in deep, establishing the forecheck, then by establishing the cycle...making the opponent run around and start to scramble. After establishing possession they like to work it up high to the points and then crash the net...looking for tips, rebounds, deflections, screens, etc.

This is your textbook age-old strategy in the offensive zone hockey. It's not flashy because it relies mostly on hard work, positioning, hustle, and grit instead of skill.

BUT...

However it's really only an effective strategy for 5 on 5 hockey. On the PK, teams are very very content to let you pass it around as much as you'd like around the perimeter. And it's harder to cycle because opponents can just ice the puck instead of having to break it out.

To Clarify...

In no way am I hating on Koivu. He definitely is a big part of the identity of Wild hockey and his commitment to the system and cycle opens things up for the rest of the team as they get to face tired defenders. That one step is all the difference. There's a reason that the Wild look so fast this year.

I think that letting other guys take some of the responsibility on the 1st PP could not only make both guys more effective 5 v 5 players, but they could eat large PK minutes too--instead of guys like Prosser.

Hopefully giving some of the young guys some confidence and more PP time (which in a vacuum there's a lot of guys who deserve a shot as the current PP has been nothing special) helps their games step forward even more.

Besides the fact that he is injured,Zuckers passing game is what keeps him off the top pp,his biggest strength is his speed which is not so important on the pp.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Besides the fact that he is injured,Zuckers passing game is what keeps him off the top pp,his biggest strength is his speed which is not so important on the pp.

I realize the knocks against Zucker. And he wouldn't be on the PP to pass the puck. Zucker might have the best release/wrist shot on the team. And you are right that speed isn't as useful on the PP, but mostly just because of how stagnant our PP is. Speed is always good.

How many times have you seen the Wild get a one timer goal from the circle? For a lot of teams that's a staple play.

How many times have you seen a Wild player curl in, step in and snipe one. Very few times.

We have the personal on the roster to score those kinds of goals...but let me tell you it's not Koivu or Suter or even Pominville.

And I know Zucker is injured...you can probably let Pominville play there until Zucker comes back. I'm just not a big Pominville fan on the PP...I think he misses a lot of chances. Zucker is the best finisher on the team and on the PP I want people who are threats with the puck.

Teams just back off Koivu-Suter-Pominville and let them pass it around because they know that those guys aren't going to force anything.

I'll stand by my opinion.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
"Would you rather we score on the PP or win games?"

- Zach Parise a few games before we started to score on the PP and lose games

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
It really does kill the momentum. 5 on 5 they keep their legs moving and creating havoc around the crease but on the PP they seem to give the opposing team a time to rest and recollet their game.

Maintain the pace to a high level, either with feet or passes.

"Our pace level wasn't on a high level tonight. Level." - Mike Yeo

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
"Would you rather we score on the PP or win games?"

- Zach Parise a few games before we started to score on the PP and lose games

I didn't realize they were mutually exclusive.

Our PP was a significant factor we lost to the Hawks last year in the playoffs.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
It´s mainly down to the fact now that only certain players get to play on the 1st PP unit and that unit plays 1:40 of the PP most of the time.
Recently the second unit with the younger players has been more threatening and scored a couple of goals just when the PP time has ended.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
It´s mainly down to the fact now that only certain players get to play on the 1st PP unit and that unit plays 1:40 of the PP most of the time.
Recently the second unit with the younger players has been more threatening and scored a couple of goals just when the PP time has ended.

I really think the solution could be as simple as switching the two PP units.

I would love to see what the 2nd unit could do with a 1:30 of PP time instead of basically being forced to be perfect. They get so little PP time if they don't immediately establish possession it can hardly be considered a PP by that unit.

I do think Yeo will eventually get there. I hope it's before the playoffs. The kids have proven they deserve the chance. I really don't think it neccesarily has to do with talent either.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I believe it's a personnel problem, myself. Again, I would start simple and replace Poms with Dumba on the point, and move him down in place of Vanek. I would be fine with having Granlund out there, but Koivu is better on draws, and winning them is key to maintaining possession.

In any case, that gives us three shooters, two set up men. Parise as the close in banger, Poms as the mid range shooter( at which he is decent), and Dumba as the bomber from the point. I could see replacing Poms with Nino, as he also has a good snap shot, and would provide a much better net front presence in order to distract the goalie and provide tip ins.

Vanek should be able to do that, but he doesn't shoot enough, turns over the puck, and is hopeless when it comes to regaining the puck from the other team. I don't know where that 32 goal per year sniper has disappeared to.

If the steps above don't provide results, then more drastic steps can be taken, such as replacing Suter, Koivu, Poms, etc.. I don't see Parise being replaced. The hidden benefit to replacing Suter is that it would give him more rest, which should make the rest of his game better.

I will scream if Coyle is put out there. I like him a lot, but he is not a willing shooter. We need shooters on the PP. I can't think of anyone besides Nino/Poms.

The clock is ticking Coaches! The evidence is in. It's past time to adapt to circumstances and make some changes.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Yeo will probably never take Suter off the pp so the next step would be to take out Pominville and put Dumba there. It would give legit one-timer option. Don't really care for the forward crop because no matter who we put there, there should be enough skill to have at least average pp. Pominville on the point is such a weird decision because it didn't work in Buffalo either. Seems like an excuse to get him on the top pp too..

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Pominville Granlund Parise

Dumba Suter

Vanek Koivu Stewart/Nino

Spurgeron Brodin/Scandella

Suter is a good and mobile QB, he just cannot be relied on to blast one or snipe one from the blueline, so give him dumba who can.

Swap out Koivu 4 Granny if Granny is slacking in the faceoff, or is goin up against a toews, kopitar, etc...

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Here's a thought...maybe a bonus to having a faster, fresh unit out at the tail end of a PP is that the PK will be (if all goes well and they're trapped in their end) extra tired and vulnerable to speed?:snide:

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Yeo was in charge of this back in his Pittsburgh days. Even with the talent on that roster, their PP was a shambles. It's obviously something he has no concept on how to run or fix. It's been 3-4 years.

Unfortunately and clearly, Brunette hasn't made an impact at all either.

Sadly it hasn't changed and likely isn't going to.

Last edited:

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Bruno should be the tv guy and walz should be on the bench to keep up intensity. Find a new coach for the pp

space321

May 11, 2011
Our PP was pretty decent for a stretch there. But I think the lack of chances has been a huge factor for the late slump. We've only gotten like 1 powerplay per game on average for the past month or something, that's not enough for a team to smooth out pre existing PP issues.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
PP looked better last night....I also liked seeing Dumba replace Vanek on the #1 unit, even it was just an experiment by Yeo considering the game was out of reach for NJD.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I was at the game last night and had a pretty good look at things. Dumba being in for Vanek at the end was just to have two defensemen at the points instead of Pominville back there for insurance and to protect the lead.

Personally, whatever system we run on the power play, I want to see a couple things. First of all, Granlund should be on the top unit. If you want Koivu out there for face-off reasons, fine, but Granlund has looked ridiculous lately. I sat behind the net we shot on twice about 10 rows up, so I had a pretty good view, and Granlund's vision and passing is insane. He put so many passes on guys tape right in front of the net and through traffic that should have been goals if not for a defender lifting a stick or our guy whiffing on a one-timer/tap in.

Another thing is please explain to me why Dumba and Spurgeon aren't on the first unit? Both guys are great getting the puck into the zone and just have that offensive knack of finding those pockets of space to jump into, creating shooting lanes, and actually firing the puck. Dumba's shot needs to be used more! That cannot be said enough. Also, Pominville misses the net high and wide way, way, way too much and Suter fires pucks into bodies all the time because he hesitates on pulling the trigger.

Last complaining rant is why on earth does Yeo put the first unit out for the entire power play every single time?? At most he leaves the second unit 30 seconds or so and usually they have to go retrieve the puck and break it into the zone again. And even with that huge disadvantage, I've seen the second unit pull off some ridiculous entries and create really good scoring chances in the time they get. Yes, sometimes they look bad and can't get the puck in and control it but how is that supposed to be fixed if they never get any time?

I would like to see the following units if possible..

Parise
Granlund
Vanek
Suter
Dumba

Vanek should camp out in front of the goalie. Parise does his thing crashing the net and retrieving pucks. Granlund distributes and tees up whoever is open. Suter plays safety net and let unleash Dumba to make plays.

Nino/Stewart
Koivu
Pominville
Spurgeon
Scandella/Brodin

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You should probably attribute 3-4 more goals to our PP over this last stretch because I can remember a few occasions where we scored within 10 seconds or so of an expiring powerplay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad