Our only hope

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Our only hope isn't Borvat

Our only hope is the possibility of Dim Jim and Trevor Slytherin to be booted from this team, and for Aquaman to get his ****ing head out of his own ass and stop kidding himself.

Yeah I really don't want to watch another draft from Benning.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Oh, is that what's happening? I haven't been paying attention to this stuff. I just figured he seemed pretty close play-wise.

Ya I heard he was planning to return and don't think that has changed. Look for him to turn pro after this year though.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Our future looks so bright. Woo! Can't wait for the season to begin!!

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Our only hope is for a new President of Hockey Operations, new General Manager, and new Assistant General Manager to be brought in. Linden, Benning, and Weisbrod all have to be turfed before this team will improve.

It goes higher.

There's a reason why Linden was hired and is still employed.
There's a reason why Jimbo and Weisbrod were hired and are still employed.
There's a reason why WD was hired.
There's a reason why Green was hired.
There's a reason why Gillis was fired.
There's a reason why Gilman and Henning were fired.

And it's the same reason for all of the above and that reason is because the Aquilinis value sycophancy over actual competency.

At the end of the day, the Aquilinis just see the Canucks as another revenue stream and want their employees to obey them.

- Gillis pushed back and got canned.

- Gilman and Henning probably pushed back and got canned.

- WD became very very passive aggressive toward the end of his tenure and he got canned. Jimbo even tried to give WD an out but WD was having nothing of it.

If you look at our current management, none of them are in ANY position to push back either because of how stupid they are or because how new they are which means the Aquilinis have full control.

And even if Linden, Jimbo and Weisbrod get their pink slips, the new crew coming in will have EXACTLY the same type of my way or the highway type of mentality and power dynamic to contend with from ownership.

This ain't no crying wolf or chicken little BS.

This is based on an objective analysis of how this organization has been run since 2013-14.

EUHREaS.gif

Unless ownership relinquishes control and lets hockey people do what they do best, competency and hockey wisdom will never last long in this organization and we will always be a second rate hockey team.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'm such a Debbie Downer..

barnie.gif

On the plus side, I'm predicting a 60 point Sedin season.

(each, not combined)

xyper.gif

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
It goes higher.

And it's the same reason for all of the above and that reason is because the Aquilinis value sycophancy over actual competency.

At the end of the day, the Aquilinis just see the Canucks as another revenue stream and want their employees to obey them.

- WD became very very passive aggressive toward the end of his tenure and he got canned. Jimbo even tried to give WD an out but WD was having nothing of it.

If you look at our current management, none of them are in ANY position to push back either because of how stupid they are or because how new they are which means the Aquilinis have full control.

And even if Linden, Jimbo and Weisbrod get their pink slips, the new crew coming in will have EXACTLY the same type of my way or the highway type of mentality and power dynamic to contend with from ownership.

This is based on an objective analysis of how this organization has been run since 2013-14.

EUHREaS.gif

Unless ownership relinquishes control and lets hockey people do what they do best, competency and hockey wisdom will never last long in this organization and we will always be a second rate hockey team.

Truth. AQs got their hand too deep in the honey pot and have far too much control. And I think it's gone on since they took over the team.

I'm more optimistic since the trade deadline since the may have won them over on the rebuild for now. But too much damage has been done since the cup run. Time will tell.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Truth. AQs got their hand too deep in the honey pot and have far too much control. And I think it's gone on since they took over the team.

I'm more optimistic since the trade deadline since the may have won them over on the rebuild for now. But too much damage has been done since the cup run. Time will tell.

Except to rebuild you have to actually make rebuild type moves. Selling Burrows for a prospect doesn't signify a rebuild, and that's the only move you can classify as a rebuild type move since Benning came out and stated that the Hansen deal wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the expansion draft. The motive for that trade was not to take the team into a rebuild, it was so they wouldn't lose an asset because they preferred to protect worse players over him.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Except to rebuild you have to actually make rebuild type moves. Selling Burrows for a prospect doesn't signify a rebuild, and that's the only move you can classify as a rebuild type move since Benning came out and stated that the Hansen deal wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the expansion draft. The motive for that trade was not to take the team into a rebuild, it was so they wouldn't lose an asset because they preferred to protect worse players over him.

..and who were these worse players?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Two more years then he will go the free agent route.

Because you are one of his best friends and know his plans?

The usual doom and gloom post. He is too slight to play in the AHL of NHL right now. the canucks agreed he should have another year in college. The majority of pundits think he will sign at the end of his season. If you have legitimate knowledge please share. If you are just whining ... well it gets tiresome, its not new.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It goes higher.

EUHREaS.gif

Truth. Depressing as it is to think about, it's always going to stink and be hopeless to some degree with the Aquilinis in charge, even after Benning/Weisbrod/Linden get fired (and god knows how long that's going to take). But the silver lining would be that even with them holding the organization down, a guy like Gillis was still able to be hired by him, more or less attempt to do things the right way and hire the right people, show some resistence to the invisible hand of the Aquilinis, have extended success, and get to within one game of a Stanley Cup.

So it's not impossible, it's just going to be a massive handicap for a very long time.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Our only hope is that we finally reverse our bad luck in the draft lottery next year.

With Lindening at the helm, not a chance.

They will think the team improved, they will trade away picks for useless players on overpriced contracts, then either misses the playoff by 2-3 points or gets bounced 4-0 in round one and declare the retool and the season a brilliant success.

Then Aquaman will give both a 5 year extension, while the Leafs reach SCF or even getting the actual cup.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Our only hope is that we finally reverse our bad luck in the draft lottery next year.

Statistically speaking, we didn't do notably worse in terms of draft position than what should have been expected. We're only unlucky in the sense that the lottery system changed to no longer favor the bottom of the standings as much when we finally got those placements

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Did Troy Stecher quit hockey? He was my favourite Canuck last year. Also our new HC, Travis Green

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
With Lindening at the helm, not a chance.

They will think the team improved, they will trade away picks for useless players on overpriced contracts, then either misses the playoff by 2-3 points or gets bounced 4-0 in round one and declare the retool and the season a brilliant success.

Then Aquaman will give both a 5 year extension, while the Leafs reach SCF or even getting the actual cup.

Lololo!

Picks and prospects....that's what I'm waiting for this season...for them to be traded to improve the team.

I can't wait to hear their excuses :)

If this season starts the way I think it will then holy crap!

Take note Aquaman.....take note. Your the only ONE that can fix this......The only one! :popcorn:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Aquilini is a major giant problem because he is not a genius about pro sports.

Benning is an enabler. He knows better but bites his tongue, which is why he talks like that.

Linden is not very smart and never was. He wasn't clever enough to side step a reporter fishing for a story.

This trio is why there hasn't been an NHL coach for years. No coach with options would accept this roster. Any dispute is delusional. The Canucks are a joke. Hahaha! Joke is on us! We should all just laugh along and cheer for a hopeless roster doomed to failure.

The only (very faint) hope is that Green has the jam to demote the Sedins. A top six with speed and a fourth line with energy might cover a slow old line that doesn't hustle without the puck? Even then, they will lose games to opponents that can intercept passes they know are coming. They won't regain puck control or chase anybody down but they are super nice guys!

If Horvat, for any reason does not return, Canucks cement their pariah status for years to come. Leaving him unsigned for this long after losing Tryamkin to Russia (!) isn't sending a clear message to the hockey community. As it stands, the optics are Horvat is a beauty but the Canucks are beasts and the two don't mix in the real world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad