Our only hope

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
If Marky plays at a .930+ sv%

Horvat progresses to a 60-70p pace. Sedins play at a similar pace. Edler-Tanev stay healthy.

Honestly not a lot needs to go right for this to be a playoff squad (pretender). It's pretty easy to sneak in as the PAC#3...

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
If Marky plays at a .930+ sv%

Horvat progresses to a 60-70p pace. Sedins play at a similar pace. Edler-Tanev stay healthy.

Honestly not a lot needs to go right for this to be a playoff squad (pretender). It's pretty easy to sneak in as the PAC#3...

Price has played at a .930 sv% twice in his career, Lundqvist never, Holtby never, etc..

We should be extremely happy if he can get to .920, even .915 over a full season.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I'm pretty excited about Goldobin and there's also a wild card in Dahlen on top of our picks this year. Demko and DiPetro in the system. Our defense is weak but when has it not been? I'm cautiously optimistic about our youth movement.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Our only hope is our Power Play being effective and working up to 20% efficiency.

So what's changed from last yr?
- Gagner addition. Del Zotto.
- Rodin addition.

Further development of Horvat and Baertschi.

And I don't think it is possible for Eriksson to duplicate how unlucky he was last yr with his scoring chances.

Burmistrov could be an option. Granlund of course.

Then also you have Boeser and Goldobin if one of them make the team.

***New Coaches.

Basically the PP needed a huge chemistry shake up, and looks like that will happen...
It also looks like we will have some skill left over for a second unit PP... It actually may contribute before the calendar flips to the new year this season.

If you're looking for pre-season optimism - look for an improved PP... it can't be worse.

I'm having difficulty seeing our PK moving a tier up at this point. A full season of Gudbranson should help there..

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Our only hope is for a new President of Hockey Operations, new General Manager, and new Assistant General Manager to be brought in. Linden, Benning, and Weisbrod all have to be turfed before this team will improve.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If you have any hope you will just be severely disappointed.

Better to have no hope and be pleasantly surprised if anything happens.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Our only hope is for a new President of Hockey Operations, new General Manager, and new Assistant General Manager to be brought in. Linden, Benning, and Weisbrod all have to be turfed before this team will improve.

Here's the correct answer. We're going to be severely hampered until that day.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Others don't seem as optimistic about this, but I could still see Baertschi potentially taking an unexpected next step that amazes people, personally.

I'm also a little surprised that there aren't more Gaudette believers. While we've been conditioned to be skeptical, personally, I don't see a compelling reason to doubt his chances of making the team and looking like an early Hansen/Burrows type right away.

Horvat, Baertschi, Boeser, Markstrom, Gaudette, Gaunce are the only guys that I have a really good feeling about this upcoming season. Stecher and Hutton I think could go either way.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Others don't seem as optimistic about this, but I could still see Baertschi potentially taking an unexpected next step that amazes people, personally.

I'm also a little surprised that there aren't more Gaudette believers. While we've been conditioned to be skeptical, personally, I don't see a compelling reason to doubt his chances of making the team and looking like an early Hansen/Burrows type right away.

Horvat, Baertschi, Boeser, Markstrom, Gaudette, Gaunce are the only guys that I have a really good feeling about this upcoming season. Stecher and Hutton I think could go either way.

Gaudette in 2017-18?

Isn't he going back to Northeastern? Did I miss an announcement?

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
Gaudette in 2017-18?

Isn't he going back to Northeastern? Did I miss an announcement?

While he wouldn't be at training camp like dude implies, I think it's likely the Canucks try to get him signed after his season and get him in some NHL games at the end of this year like they did with Boeser.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Boeser & Horvat.

Is that it?

Discuss

Nope and the topic isn't specific at all... so discuss what? :laugh:

Long term - We have Juolevi, Lockwood, Gaudette, Goldobin, Dahlen, Demko, etc... on top of a very good draft class this year (considered by most as one of the best draft hauls).

Next season - Well i suggest getting an extra TV for your living room because 'nucks game will likely be boring so you might as well watch something else while the game plays in the background... :laugh:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
While he wouldn't be at training camp like dude implies, I think it's likely the Canucks try to get him signed after his season and get him in some NHL games at the end of this year like they did with Boeser.

Ya probably.

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
Misread. Perils of browsing while watching kids. My bad.

All gooooooooooood.

While I'm here, I'll clarify my stance on Gaudette. Do I think he can be an everyday NHL player this year? Probably not. I do think the Canucks will be aggressive in locking him down this year to keep him as far away from the college loophole as they can though.

Sounds like they had discussions with him last year about signing, but both camps thought it was better for him to bulk up this season. I could see him signing at the end of this year, playing some games in the NHL and then possibly going to the AHL next season if they feel like 4th line minutes isn't good for his development.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Our only hope isn't Borvat

Our only hope is the possibility of Dim Jim and Trevor Slytherin to be booted from this team, and for Aquaman to get his ****ing head out of his own ass and stop kidding himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad