Our No-trade-clauses = Our selling plan ?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Contract will end at 2019:

- Gustav Nyquist, UFA 2019, NTC (no special clauses)
Probably would void his clause, if he'd have a chance to go to Contender at the Trade deadline.

- Jimmy Howard, UFA 2019, no NTC on his final year.
With 50% retained, decent backup at the Deadline for some contender having injury issues with another of their goaltenders.

- Niklas Kronwall, UFA 2019, Modified NTC (Starting 2017-18, Lists 10 teams he can be traded to)
Cheap caphit, cheap salary, veteran depth D like Timonen was for Chicago at 2015 Deadline. Timonen was physically totally done on that season, but still fetched 2 x 2nd rounder. We can debate to death about Kronner's knees, but he would help any team in the 3rd pair.

- Tomas Vanek. UFA 2019, NTC
Don't think he will be traded, last time the ask was so low and he was horrible at Florida. Was bought on last deadline to Columbus, though. He'll just probably be an extra plug when we trade some other of our forwards. Mentors kids the whole season.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Contract will end at 2020:

- Jonathan Ericsson, UFA 2020, Modified NTC (Starting 2018-19, Player submits a 19 team no trade list)
19 team list means 63,3% protection. Third of the teams available. Could be traded already at 2019 deadline, why not? Retent some salary, ~2.5M Ericsson is fine deal on any Contender and open a spot for Cholowski. I heard rumors Ericsson was already asked for a trade at 2018 deadline, so I think he will be gone either 2019 or 2020 for sure.

- Trevor Daley, UFA 2020, modified NTC (Full NTC starting in 2017-18, up until 10 days prior to the 2018-19 trade deadline. After which, the player can provide the club with a 15 team no trade list.)
This means little bit less protection as Ericsson has. 10 days before the next 2019 deadline, he can pick 15/30 team not traded to. 50% protection. End-dropping salary, very decent deal for a Contender.

- Mike Green, UFA 2020, Modified NTC (No trade clause until Feb 1, 2020, at which point it becomes a Modified NTC where the Player submits a 10 team no trade list)
Kind of same as Ericsson, 67% protection, can block 20 teams on the deadline.

- Johan Franzen, UFA 2020, no NTC
Final year of his deal is 2019-20, and I could see him traded to some "Floor team", for some low pick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contract will end at 2021:

- Darren Helm, UFA 2021, Full NTC throughout (2018-19: NTC may be voided between June 15, 2019 & 2019-20 NHL Trade deadline, if player is not in the Top 9 F in TOI, or if team does not qualify for the playoffs | 2019-20: NTC may be voided between June 15, 2020 & final day of the contract, if player is not in the Top 9 F in TOI, or if team does not qualify for the playoffs)

So Helm's NTC could be voided at next summer, if the team does not qualify for the playoffs at this 2018-19 season. This is very probable, we are a bottom10 team. We don't have to even speculate with that Ice-Time clause, which could also be in jeopardy, if we'll make a miraclous run for the playoffs.

I see Helm gone, when the NTC disappears. There's still an obvious call for good defensive players like him, when looking that Free agency money thrown for worse players than him.

- Luke Glendening, UFA 2021, no NTC
I see him gone, whenever comes the certain deadline, where Toronto has a need and Babcock will get his boy. Could be traded at any point, that contract is ok, even with multiple years left.

- Henrik Zetterberg, UFA 2021, no NTC
Proably not-officially retired then, but on LTIRetired. Same deal as with Franzen, some floor team could take him, like Arizona took Datsyuk's. He could still work as an assistant coach, kid-mentoring-coach or something for us, like Pronger did for Philly. Pronger was working for Philly and was contract located in Arizona. Funny. Zetterberg could live in Detroit, earn 1M per year, and work for Detroit. Everything is possible!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see that we could sell them all, things like Green injury will happen and always there just isn't a buyer. No match.

Main thing is that when people see these NTCs as a problem, I see them as a selling timetable. You got some protection, but these contracts couldn't be sold on the final year. Second last is possible in some cases, but not proable. Contenders will almost always buy LAST YEAR contracts, because the caphits aren't a problem for the next year.

That's how Holland structures them, gives the NTC, which will disappear on the trade deadline. Those deals are build to be sold. It gives a possibility.

I could see that we will get multiple draftpicks/futures from these contracts. We have already got them from Mrazek+Vanek+Smith+Tatar+Kindl+Ott+Sheahan+Jurco+Sproul+Wilson -deals. Same process will continue. These deals are happening. People are flying out. Don't come anymore saying Holland can't trade a roster player. It's happening.

Let's estimate, at least every second contract, 50% will be dealt. 10 possible deals with ~half completed, at least 5 picks, some could get multiple picks. Let's say 7-8 extra picks. Next year we already have double picks. So spreading this out for next 3 years after next year, where we have 3 x 7 + 1 extra pick, that would mean 22 picks + 8 from these deals at 2020-2022 drafts. And we have 10 picks at 2019 already, so 10 picks + 30 picks on next three drafts = ~40 picks on next 4 drafts.

It will grow our overall probabilities to hit. More picks, more probability to get lucky. And that will create the BANK for young players, when we have multiple extra picks in every draft from 2019-2022. Then our team will start to rise, and that pick BANK produces cheap talent in, year-after-year.

At 2021 we could be at point, where only veterans are Nielsen, Abdelkader and ... some UFA outsider not known yet. DeKeyser and Bernier would be oldest players as 30-31.

This is the process we have to live through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavels Dog

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
All these players will void their clause to go to a contender, with the exception of Zetterberg and Kronwall. Even if they didn't have a NTC, teams won't want them until they are on the final year or two of their deals. I don't why people care about NTC so much. It's not hindering any trades. It's the salary and term that are the hold up.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Kronwall will be an interesting piece at the TDL.

With Holland's loyalty would he even consider trading Kronner?
Does Kronwall want to make another run with a contender?
What would the value be of a 3rd pairing dman who has powerplay pedigree, skills and playoff experience but limited mobility at this point?

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I've always been curious about the fact that Ryan Martin is always called a cap genius by our front office guys. Perhaps this is an idea of his?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kronwall will be an interesting piece at the TDL.

With Holland's loyalty would he even consider trading Kronner?
Does Kronwall want to make another run with a contender?
What would the value be of a 3rd pairing dman who has powerplay pedigree, skills and playoff experience but limited mobility at this point?

For the last decade this has been the process in another teams.

A) Summer. Praise the veteran, not even single speculative word about a possible trade on off-season or during a season.
B) Trade deadline comes near. GM's are interviewed by media, have you get any calls on "certain veteran? Answer: "No."
C) Some team calls about the player. Then the process will start. GMs tell how they respect the player and how they are going to ask him to consider a trade with even FULL NTC. Partial NTC even easier. You want to go to contender? Could you give me the list?

But prematurely, nothing is ever said to media, as they "respect" those NTCs. Which then are almost meaningless, when the trade offers are flying on the table. They are 100% going to trade the player, if he just is healthy, or even injured, like Timonen was.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Our probable, most-fit trade partners.

St. Louis
- Biggest need, experienced Left-handed defenceman for a playoff run.
- Lot's of prospects or picks to give.
- Could work with Kronwall/Ericsson/Daley at the deadline. I think their defence is great, but a bit slow, so fast-skating Trevor Daley could work.
- Another need a goaltender. Howard with 50% retention.

Los Angeles
- Biggest need, 2nd line winger.
- Gustav Nyquist a good fit for that slow offence, after mid-season and 50% retented salary/caphit.
- Smart asking price would be 2 x 2nds.

Anaheim
- Same as St. Louis, biggest need, experienced Left-handed defenceman for a playoff run.
- Could work with Kronwall/Ericsson/Daley at the deadline. Maybe Nik Kronwall goes, lots of Swedish guys there, and maybe Hampus Lindholm would learn something from him.

Edmonton
- Biggest need, TOP6 winger.
- Gustav Nyquist a good fit, in their Winger mess.
- Also short-term needs in defence, but on the right side. After Evan Bouchard comes, no need anymore.

San Jose
- Same as Anaheim, biggest need, experienced Left-handed defenceman for a playoff run. Stay-at-home to play with Brent Burns.
- Could work with Kronwall/Ericsson/Daley at the deadline. Jonathan Ericsson might be the greatest fit.

Dallas
- Same as St. Louis, biggest need, experienced Left-handed defenceman for a playoff run.
- Lot of pressure on rookie Miro Heiskanen, if he fails, they could be interested in short-term veteran. Marc Methot has had injury problems and only sure bet for left side is Esa Lindell.
- Jim Nill knows our guys 100%.
- Could work with Kronwall/Ericsson/Daley at the deadline. Maybe Nik Kronwall goes.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I doubt there is much interest in Ericsson.

Would be easier moving a terrible deal like DK instead of the human pylon v2.

I think hes a guy that would actually have a lot of interest. He didnt look great for a couple years playing over his head on a top pair, but last year with a reduced role he actually looked solid again. Some contender would love to add a 6'5 dman with some bite to his game at the deadline.

I'm not saying he would get a 1st rounder, but I think he would be moveable

Reactions: njx9 and avssuc

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I doubt there is much interest in Ericsson.

Would be easier moving a terrible deal like DK instead of the human pylon v2.

There is no hockey universe where Dekeyser is the more attractive piece for a playoff run.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
EDIT: Darn pics don't work, but sufficed to say, this collection of players shouldn't fetch very much.
2dpne1

Elmer-fudd

Elmer-fudd

Elmer-fudd

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think hes a guy that would actually have a lot of interest. He didnt look great for a couple years playing over his head on a top pair, but last year with a reduced role he actually looked solid again. Some contender would love to add a 6'5 dman with some bite to his game at the deadline.

I'm not saying he would get a 1st rounder, but I think he would be moveable

Moveable, sure, but that’s a low bar. Teams aren’t high on bringing in defenseman who lack mobility anymore just to solidify depth. Only real case of it happening last year was Oleksiak. For a 4th. And he’s actuallly a great skater at his size.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Moveable, sure, but that’s a low bar. Teams aren’t high on bringing in defenseman who lack mobility anymore just to solidify depth. Only real case of it happening last year was Oleksiak. For a 4th. And he’s actuallly a great skater at his size.

And Brooks Orpik was nothing but great on the playoff run. Of course, guy was overpaid and traded on the summer, but there was nothing wrong on his playoff effort. 2M Ericsson is not a problem for anyone.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
is there anybody who wouldn't take whatever a team offered for ericsson? Seriously i would take any round pick pretty much that they offered. Especially with the green signing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
is there anybody who wouldn't take whatever a team offered for ericsson? Seriously i would take any round pick pretty much that they offered. Especially with the green signing.

Yeah, some round picks. With 50% retention Ericsson is interesting at next deadlines. Only 2.125M cap costs for 2 years. Retention is not any problem for us 2019-20 season.

When contenders are aginst the cap, we can make our cap space an asset by selling our overpaid vets with 50% retentions. In those circumstances they'll have ok value.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yeah that was last year but who knows what willhappen going forward. In 2016 Mike Weber (much worse than Ericcson) got a 3rd round pick, Polak got what I would call a 2nd (probably worth more but Spaling was involved so hard to gauge). Oduya who is better but similar to Ericcson (both slowing down, used be highly thought of) went at last years deadline for a fourth and a young player, Jordie Benn got a player and a fourth, Hainsey got a 2nd, Stone got a 3rd and 5th, and I know hes mobile but Brendan Smith got a 2nd and 3rd.

Those are all guys who lack in mobility basically and were moved in the last 3 seasons to a decent return. If a team thinks Ericcson can be a tough, bottom pairing PKer I think someone would still make a move for him. I could see him getting a 3rd potentially depending how he plays to start the year

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Those are all guys who lack in mobility basically and were moved in the last 3 seasons to a decent return. If a team thinks Ericcson can be a tough, bottom pairing PKer I think someone would still make a move for him. I could see him getting a 3rd potentially depending how he plays to start the year

Really thinking Ericsson to play with a guy like Brent Burns would be great D-pair. Both big guys with huge reach, and Ericsson could totally be off from playing the puck, which is his weakness. Short pass to Burns and he handles the rest.

Burns partner is currently the weakest link in Sharks defence, after Paul Martin was bought out.

LhD Vlasic --- RhD Braun
LhD Ryan --- RhD Burns
LhD Dillon --- RhD DeMelo
7. RhD Heed

And their 7th D is a righty. If there's a problem on the left side at next season, they need experienced lefty. We have to offer.

Reactions: newfy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
More possible trade partners:

Boston
- Biggest need, TOP6 winger on the Krejci-line.
- Gustav Nyquist a good fit at the trade deadline, with 50% retention.

Florida
- Biggest need, experienced Left-handed defenceman for a playoff run.
- Could work with Kronwall/Ericsson/Daley at the deadline.

Toronto
- 4th line Center, maybe this time Babcock could get his man, Luke Glendning for a playoff run.
- Could need a vet defenceman, but mostly righty we don't have to sell.

Montreal - total mess. No trade ideas.
Buffalo - still total mess after that big trade. They have to figure that out first. Not really trade ideas.
Ottawa - total mess. Erik Karlsson anyhow, but that's so big deal that I don't speculate it from our pure "selling" point.
Tampa Bay - has their own depth. No trade ideas.
Columbus - could need RhD, and has their own depth. No trade ideas.
NY islanders - Rebuilding like Red Wings and not really a good trade partner.
NY Rangers - Rebuilding like Red Wings and not really a good trade partner. Of course, accept a stupid offer, if something Smith-like is offered again.
Philadelphia, looks solid. Not possible needs for a trade push, if no season-ending injuries.

New Jersey
- If they are a playoff team again, their biggest need is an experienced Left-handed defenceman for a playoff run.
- Also, was a big player on last deadline, adding a winger would not hurt either. Gustav Nyquist a good fit at the trade deadline.

Pittsburgh
- Win-now mode, and could push for extra scoring winger.
- Gustav Nyquist a good fit at the trade deadline, with 50% retention.

Washington
- After the Brooks Orpik -trade, their need is an experienced Left-handed defenceman for a playoff run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad