Our next home game, March 8th, lets not show up. Don't buy tickets. Don't watch the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
At the end of the day, nobody really cares about Melnyk. If he moved into the background (like other owners) people would move on rather quickly.

Fans care about the team, the players and winning. If the organization put some effort into PR in a positive way, built the team well this summer, resigned EK65 and then started winning games next year, the fans would come out. If they create a positive culture, a winning culture and an entertaining on-ice product, the fans will come back. No matter who the owner is.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Are all 405 HFboard members?

Are they the only people who hate Melnyk?

Are there other people who hate Melnyk but haven't even heard of this social media movement?

Are there other people who hate Melnyk, but didn't feel this was the correct way to protest?

Are there people who hate Melnyk but didn't have the money to contribute over the weekend?

In short, do you stand by your statement that HFboards is the only place that has this level of hatred for Eugene?

The only place I've heard this level of hate for the Owner is here.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Most people I know who follow the sens more than the average casual fan are extremely pissed with Melynk. I drove from Sudbury to Ottawa in the middle of exams and spent a lot of money to go to the outdoor game only to be threatened with relocation and called a bad fan by my owner. I have no respect for him and neither do most of my friends.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So you think these Billionares have zero interest in Lebreton and the Sens?

Sure thing sparky!

They did before they lost out to Melnyk's RendezVous LeBreton, but that ship has sailed for them.

Sorry for the facts Бадди

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
SCANLAN: Karlsson survives trade deadline but departure rumours still loom

What had been a simmering resentment over Melnyk’s ownership has spilled its banks. It would seem a tipping point has been reached. Over the weekend, Senators fan Spencer Callaghan quickly raised more than enough money on a gofundme page to pay for a billboard advertising a Melnyk-free hockey organization, or #melnykOut as the popular Twitter hashtag has it.
Other fans wore #melnykOut hats or made posters to take to the arena.
While Melnyk has tried to make nice with a couple of public relations gestures, the level of trust and faith in this organization is at an all-time low, and it gets harder to imagine a turnaround without a sale. When chief executive officer and president Tom Anselmi left, less than one year after franchise co-founder Cyril Leeder was fired as president/CEO, it sent up a red flag. When Melnyk moved into the offices as acting CEO, for however long, the proverbial flag soared higher.
Where to from here?
Perhaps Melnyk is trimming costs and clearing the way for the franchise to be sold, although he has always insisted he won’t sell. He may be forced to if paying customers don’t pony up.
What is playing out in Ottawa can’t be looked at fondly by the NHL, which frowned on Melnyk’s off-hand comments about potentially moving the club. To the NHL, Ottawa is a solid Canadian market, with a new downtown-ish arena looming, and yet a sense of turmoil prevails.
The NHL would almost certainly not let Melnyk move the team. They would more likely work with him to assist any potential sale to keep the club right where it is.

All just on HF...Eugene is truly loved in this city.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
They did before they lost out to Melnyk's RendezVous LeBreton, but that ship has sailed for them.

Sorry for the facts Бадди

Sure thing sparky...

The group that has on numerous occasions mentioned their willingness to buy Melnyk out has ZERO interest when the final stage of Lebreton negotiation is yet to be completed.

It would be nice if you could demonstrate just a modicum of intellectual integrity.

Polansky

Apr 5, 2007
Why? Because Thompson, Oduya, Phaneuf, Brassard, Didomenico, Dumont and possibly Burrows are gone?

Be patient and get ready to burn the CTC when necessary
Narrative is more important than the real events happening.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
SCANLAN: Karlsson survives trade deadline but departure rumours still loom

What had been a simmering resentment over Melnyk’s ownership has spilled its banks. It would seem a tipping point has been reached. Over the weekend, Senators fan Spencer Callaghan quickly raised more than enough money on a gofundme page to pay for a billboard advertising a Melnyk-free hockey organization, or #melnykOut as the popular Twitter hashtag has it.
Other fans wore #melnykOut hats or made posters to take to the arena.
While Melnyk has tried to make nice with a couple of public relations gestures, the level of trust and faith in this organization is at an all-time low, and it gets harder to imagine a turnaround without a sale. When chief executive officer and president Tom Anselmi left, less than one year after franchise co-founder Cyril Leeder was fired as president/CEO, it sent up a red flag. When Melnyk moved into the offices as acting CEO, for however long, the proverbial flag soared higher.
Where to from here?
Perhaps Melnyk is trimming costs and clearing the way for the franchise to be sold, although he has always insisted he won’t sell. He may be forced to if paying customers don’t pony up.
What is playing out in Ottawa can’t be looked at fondly by the NHL, which frowned on Melnyk’s off-hand comments about potentially moving the club. To the NHL, Ottawa is a solid Canadian market, with a new downtown-ish arena looming, and yet a sense of turmoil prevails.
The NHL would almost certainly not let Melnyk move the team. They would more likely work with him to assist any potential sale to keep the club right where it is.

All just on HF...Eugene is truly loved in this city.

I said hate, do you know the meaning??

Nowhere in that article do you read the word hate.

BTW, when did you drive the nail into Dorion's tire?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You should know by now that for our friend the Count, if it is not explicitly written, then it is not true and will never ever happen. :ha:

Article he linked was BEFORE the NCC awarded the Lebreton deal to Melnyk.............. of course they were interested BEFORE the NCC decided.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Does someone want to write my post lol?

I'm sure many here could, but I just want to be honest with you guys. I can't join the boycott side because I don't see the benefit of it. While I question the kinds of fans we have, regularly, I do have to say that the fans that do show up are amazing. Last year's playoff run, the emotion in the stands for the people who were there was the best I have ever experienced, maybe back to 07 Cup run, but either I am getting old and my ears are failing, but after every home game, even the one with 2K empty seats, my ears were ringing well into the night.

I love hearing goals on the road. I see more Sens fans than ever, and I rewind them over and over because I get a kick out of our fans showing up and being heard. Our diehards are phenomenal and would put them up against any fans in the league.

I am also of the opinion that if the arena was full, and not tarped, even at our prices, we wouldn't have many of the issues that we are facing right now, and unfortunately will be facing down the road. That is just plain economics. Fans can stay home in droves and try and smoke him out, but Mark Stone needs to get paid. Matt Duchene needs to get paid. And of course Erik Karlsson needs to be paid. That is the NHL and when they leave, we can continue to blame people like the owner, the arena, the fans, the in-game entertainment, parking, etc...but it won't matter. Those players will be wiped off our jerseys, our city, and we can no longer cheer for them as an extension of our soul.

If you care at all about these players being on our team, you have to go. I know people are angry. I know people hate the owner. I have stated repeatedly that I do not like him and would rather a new owner. But I have chosen to separate my dislike for the owner from the players that I cheer for and represent our city. I have to. I can't let it be personal because if I don't go, I am allowing the owner to use us as an excuse . Winter is long here and I love watching hockey, even bad hockey lol, and I want my kids to enjoy what we have, and NHL team in Ottawa.

When the day comes, and hope it doesn't, Melnyk will point to decreasing revenues and how impossible it is to sign these expensive players when the arena is a quarter empty. And other markets will laugh at us for not supporting the team , point to the playoff run, point to having a player like Karlsson and 11K people watching him. They will blame us. This city will not escape that train of thought, even in the face of a lousy owner. Numbers will be shown, heads will nod convincingly that we did a lousy job supporting our team. The principle of it will be ignored. I just feel it is a no win situation and damned if we go, and damned if we don't go.

I know people want to assign blame to this and that, and to justify their reasons. I just think that we are just hurting our own team by doing so. The owner cannot bankroll double digit losses. I know people expect him to, but he won't. He will make it close to revenue neutral. He needs to make the playoffs to make money. That is why Dorion stated they have to be in the playoffs every year. Not for us. FOR HIM. He makes money and Pierre can stick to hockey decisions. Can you imagine that scenario? I can't. But 'I'm hopeful.

I lash out at people here because I sensed what has started to happen last year. And I'm sure the empty seats spooked him , in the middle of a playoff run. I lash out because I feel that the people that don't go penalize those that do go, and kill the team's ability to retain our stars. So yeah, makes me unpopular, but I can live with that here. I am angry that cheap seats are not being bought. I cannot understand, short of economics, of course, how this is happening.

The "DrEasy" fans of this city, I truly believe there are a giant group that have lost something. I don't know if this situation will change something and realize what is possibly at stake. But it is hard to quantify what it is, and it is alarming. The Senators have to find a way to get these fans back because there are thousands who feel that way.

Probably one of the most sincere posts I have read on this forum and it struck a chord. So well done DrEasy. I will try and follow that path and be more sincere, and get these forums back to what they used to be. We all cheer for the same team!
I too enjoy watching away Sens fans cheer in other teams arena. We have a solid following, not huge, but solid following outside of Ottawa. Most noticeably in western Canada, Buffalo, Toronto and Montreal.

Last years playoffs was the loudest I've ever heard the CTC. I went to game 3 of the ECF in 2007 and game 2 of last years playoffs was electrifying, absolutely insane. Game 3 was incredibly loud in the first after the scoring outburst. The only difference was that in 2007 it felt as though the entire city was reeling for the Sens. Car flags, people on the streets waiving flags, just the feeling of the playoffs was everywhere you went. Last year not so much for whatever reason. The in arena atmosphere was much better than 07 but the outside arena atmosphere for 07 was miles ahead of last years.

Reactions: coladin

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

This place is especially bad on that front (I mean it feels like a lot of the vitriolic stuff comes from young posters who have no idea of the value of money, when someone thinks a couple of millions is nothing...) but at the same time, that billboard wasn't only funded by HFSens...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
As long a EM is the owner, the Sens will never make the playoffs. You can't without hockey assets and he is turning his hockey assets into cash.
They've made the playoffs before & they will make them again whether he is the owner or not, it's inevitable. Just having a bad yr.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Article he linked was BEFORE the NCC awarded the Lebreton deal to Melnyk.............. of course they were interested BEFORE the NCC decided.
Has the final decision been made?

You know this group is still interested and willing to buy the Sens, but you'd rather lie than admit you are wrong.

Such a sad little man.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
I still firmly believe an offer was made for the sens last December and that there may have been other interested parties. I also believe those doors are not closed. No factual evidence, just my gut.

I don’t think Melnyk will repair his relationship with fans. The only thing that will repair it is a new building. We will see if he hangs on and sees it through. I really think he’ll sell before the year is out.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Twitter, TSN 1200 and even Facebook.

Honestly I'm not sure why you'd expect to find people being more vocal about it than on social media or HFBoards, most people you meet are casual fans and don't follow the team like the people here. This is a portion of the fanbase that for the most part is a lot more passionate about hockey than the casual fan you'll talk to in your everyday life. Most people don't actually bother that much to follow every small tidbit and just look if the team is doing well.

Reactions: Deku

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
At the end of the day, nobody really cares about Melnyk. If he moved into the background (like other owners) people would move on rather quickly.

Fans care about the team, the players and winning. If the organization put some effort into PR in a positive way, built the team well this summer, resigned EK65 and then started winning games next year, the fans would come out. If they create a positive culture, a winning culture and an entertaining on-ice product, the fans will come back. No matter who the owner is.
Fans care about hope. Even during a losing season I’d be just as invested the team, knowing that there’s a realistic possibility of contending in the future. You can sell a winning team and you can sell hope. We don’t have either under this ownership.

Reactions: Deku

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Has the final decision been made?

You know this group is still interested and willing to buy the Sens, but you'd rather lie than admit you are wrong.

Such a sad little man.

Who is currently in the final stages of negotiations?

The Winning bidder is, not the losers, the ones without the NHL franchise.

They've not perused a purchase of the Senators, or any other NHL franchise, since losing the Lebreton deal, as you would have us believe.

When they were still in the running, they said everything and anything that they thought would put their bid into a winning position, including buying the Senators as a last resort, IF the current owner who said multiple times that he would not sell, wanted to.

Prior to losing the land re-development deal for Lebtreton, Jean-Pierre Poulin, the president of Gatineau-based land development company Devcore, repeated the offers DCDLS made then: to simply hand land at LeBreton over to Melnyk and the team to build a new arena on their own; to build an arena and invite the Senators in as tenants; to buy the team IF Melnyk changes his mind.

This group, DCDLS, is land development company, and has NEVER expressed and strong interest in acquiring a NHL team, before of after losing the Lebreton deal ..... they are in the land development business, and their first option was to just give the land to Melnyk and let him build the Arena, plan B was for them to build the Arena and invite the Senators to play there, and their LAST option was to buy the team.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Who is currently in the final stages of negotiations?

The Winning bidder is, not the losers, the ones without the NHL franchise.

They've not perused a purchase of the Senators, or any other NHL franchise, since losing the Lebreton deal, as you would have us believe.

When they were still in the running, they said everything and anything that they thought would put their bid into a winning position, including buying the Senators as a last resort, IF the current owner who said multiple times that he would not sell, wanted to.

Prior to losing the land re-development deal for Lebtreton, Jean-Pierre Poulin, the president of Gatineau-based land development company Devcore, repeated the offers DCDLS made then: to simply hand land at LeBreton over to Melnyk and the team to build a new arena on their own; to build an arena and invite the Senators in as tenants; to buy the team IF Melnyk changes his mind.

This group, DCDLS, is land development company, and has NEVER expressed and strong interest in acquiring a NHL team, before of after losing the Lebreton deal ..... they are in the land development business, and their first option was to just give the land to Melnyk and let him build the Arena, plan B was for them to build the Arena and invite the Senators to play there, and their LAST option was to buy the team.

If Melnyk sells the team before they move into Lebreton, will you leave the boards forever?

You sound 100% sure that nothing is going on behind the scenes so this is a no risk bet, right?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If Melnyk sells the team before they move into Lebreton, will you leave the boards forever?

You sound 100% sure that nothing is going on behind the scenes so this is a no risk bet, right?

I don't control who buys or sells a NHL team.

If it happens, fine, but until then I'm not going down the rabbit hole of rumours, dreamers, wishful-thinkers and speculation.

There are other concerns that take priority over whether or not Melnyk sells the Sens for me.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I don't control who buys or sells a NHL team.

If it happens, fine, but until then I'm not going down the rabbit hole of rumours, dreamers, wishful-thinkers and speculation.

There are other concerns that take priority over whether or not Melnyk sells the Sens for me.
Truly shocking that you won't back up your word...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->