Our next home game, March 8th, lets not show up. Don't buy tickets. Don't watch the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
I do want to understand why we couldn't sell out every playoff game last year. Why didn't I go? Why didn't I want to go? I wasn't a victim of Phoenix. I went the previous time we made the playoffs.

What I do know is that the playoff run felt like a fluke (it's a feeling, don't yell at me!), each win felt like a nice surprise, but I never thought it was going to go all the way. I was mistaken for two rounds! I never thought we had a chance during game 7 against Pittsburgh, and yet we made it so close. When we lost that game, I wasn't gutted like I was in previous playoff eliminations, it just felt normal and expected.

There was (for me) none of the enthusiasm of the Hamburglar run, or the Pesky Sens, or the heartbreak playoff losses against the Leafs. What changed? Was I jaded? Lack of specific players to root for (but why? we had the MacArthur story, the Anderson story)? Something about the style of play? Was it the way we backed into the playoffs? Was it disenchantment with the GM moves that year (certainly the Ziba and the Burrows deals really pissed me off)? But Muckler made plenty of bad deals and I rooted for the team all the same.

I'm still watching pretty much every game on TV, but something's missing.

I like this post, because I had the exact same experience. I don't think I even changed my avatar. That said, I did get really excited by the time we got to round 3. I was even thinking of buying tickets and flying to Ottawa maybe for game 6, but for sure if it goes to the Finals. I'm not saying this to go against the grain. I agree everything felt like a fluke, but I just thought this team was too flukey to be just a fluke. And I like Karlsson, and Hoffman, and Stone, and Turris (and now Duchene). I love Pageau, even though he usually is pretty average at best.

To me, it is my dream to see Ottawa win the Stanley Cup, and I dreamed as a little boy that the Sens would hoist the cup. There is no way I don't want to be in Ottawa for a potential finals birth. I even remember almost crying when I first thought up the idea in the shower. I went to go look up flights, I had the money (barely, but I could make it work if I pinched my pockets for a while, something I am not unused to)... but then, I just didn't go. There was no reason not to. I thought to myself, "or, I could just stay at home and save some money. Maybe finally buy a new car." And yet, here I am talking down to people who pass up the same opportunity.

Maybe it's like Benny says. There's just such an overabundance of moderately entertaining and significantly more affordable alternatives, and the cost/benefit of doing something highly entertaining and moderately to very expensive just isn't worth it.

That said, if I was in town, there's just no way I don't go to game 6 :sarcasm::laugh:

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The innocence is gone. It almost feels like a gun is pointed at your head to go...if you don't, you're a "bad" fan who is single-handedly responsible for the team magically turning into the Seattle Whatevers (even though that is virtually impossible). I saw empty friggin seats in both Nashville and Pittsburgh in the finals. I know every singel goddamned team in the league papers their numbers. Yet somehow, Ottawa is the only team with a stigma. I visit the boards of a lot of different teams in HF (usually when something strange/big happens), and I see as many Nagative Nancys on every damned team boards as we have (in proportion to overall population).

We are not some sort of dead market. We are not bad fans. We are just tired of being beaten up every which way...from the owner, the media, other fanbases. After awhile, it's hard to muster the energy and will to fight back. Ottawa has been the little brother of Toronto/Montreal since 1991, ffs. It's been a long damned time to be the one trying to stand up to the big boys, ya know?

Now, to the folks talking about boycotting games - if you usually go to games, do what you're doing. Don't boycott just because. Best bet is for every televised game to hear a ton of Melynk Out chants. Be loud. Cheer on the guys on the ice. And boooooooo Melynk. Showing apathy is death, showing rage and passion tells the NHL (and potential owners) the fanbase is alive and kicking.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
That year we made it to the finals, the excitement in the city was amazing, it was everywhere, it was unreal. Last year there was still some excitement, the games i went to the sell-out crowds were really into it, but it was a little less exuberant in the city. The feeling around the team was different. The team as DrEasy said didnt have that feel of inevitability where we all believed. We all hoped, but there was a feeling they were punching a bit above their weight.

But even if regular season tickets are the cheapest in Canada, the playoff tickets for two people were hundreds of dollars. These were premium luxury events at very high prices. And still most games were sold out except a couple that were slightly short. The fan base is there. The marketing was lacking.

There's probably not much need to organize a boycott. Ticket sales and especially seasons ticket sales are likely to going to take a beating going forward now. I cant imagine i am going to buy any tickets for the rest of this year. I'm not really boycotting although im tempted to. I just dont see the value in doing it.

A new owner with a new message could probably woo me back.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah, I am a little bit weary of a boycott for this reason. But I do think a big empty lower bowl on TV would be a powerful statement. What about something like "don't go to your seats until 5 minutes after puck drop"? It doesn't exactly hurt the Sens since people would still buy tickets and concessions and what not, but it sends a message.

I think we got 1 good wave going the whole year, for the most part the fans who show up sit on there hands the whole game and expect others to do the same, I appreciate the sentiment but would find it hard to believe this specific group can be mobilized, especially for those sitting in the 100's without a care in the world.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I do want to understand why we couldn't sell out every playoff game last year. Why didn't I go? Why didn't I want to go? I wasn't a victim of Phoenix. I went the previous time we made the playoffs.

What I do know is that the playoff run felt like a fluke (it's a feeling, don't yell at me!), each win felt like a nice surprise, but I never thought it was going to go all the way. I was mistaken for two rounds! I never thought we had a chance during game 7 against Pittsburgh, and yet we made it so close. When we lost that game, I wasn't gutted like I was in previous playoff eliminations, it just felt normal and expected.

There was (for me) none of the enthusiasm of the Hamburglar run, or the Pesky Sens, or the heartbreak playoff losses against the Leafs. What changed? Was I jaded? Lack of specific players to root for (but why? we had the MacArthur story, the Anderson story)? Something about the style of play? Was it the way we backed into the playoffs? Was it disenchantment with the GM moves that year (certainly the Ziba and the Burrows deals really pissed me off)? But Muckler made plenty of bad deals and I rooted for the team all the same.

Good post, really enjoyed reading it and that's probably the feeling of a lot of person last year during the playoff.

The bold : Aren't you describing an underdog team? Wasn't that exactly what we were, when we think about it.

1st round: Who was the favorite ? Boston
2nd round : Who was the favorite : NYR
3rd round : Who was the favorite : Pittsburgh
Final : Who would have been the favorite if we would have beat Pitts? Nashville.

We were not suppose to be there, Ottawa was the trash team led by a "4th forward" we cannot play D. Then that 4th forward opened everybody's eyes and proved to everybody that on his game.. He is the most impactful Dman on the planet. Not the best defensively, but the most impactful.

That run scream underdog.. But that's exactly what made it magical. I went to game 5 in Ottawa against NYR.. The feeling to be there was off the chart to me( first playoff experience ). I made the travel from MTL. I didn't went to support Melnyk's team. I went because i cared about the 22-23 players who were giving their body to live there dream of winning the cup, entertained us and also for some of us living the dream of seeing our favorite sports team winning the Stanley cup.

I don't like Melnyk. I think it is important the leave a message some way that we are not happy with the way that team as been operated at the very top, his comment, etc.

But like i said in another thread.. Not showing up to game It will create a spinning wheel. If Melnyk doesn't do money he won't be able to spend, so fans are not going to be happy and won't show up, then .... i think you see the patern here..
But i would 100% understand the one who don't want to support Melnyk, but when i go to a game I go to support the likes of Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Chabot, Duchene, JGP, etc.

Also, not showing up to game is leaving a message to the player, nobody want to play in front of an empty crowd, so when they are about to resign.. they will think hard about it.

It's a spinning Wheel. But it is 100% understandable why we are not happy as fans about Melnyk.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Think about it like this: Fans stop showing up, the team loses a bunch of money and Melnyk is forced to sell the team. Who is going to buy this product and keep it in Ottawa? If I was a billionaire, why would I waste my money on a fanbase that doesn't even show up to games? Is it on the good faith that they were only doing it to get rid of the "super terrible owner"? Is that not a red flag to potential buyers? Would you buy an apartment building that no one wants to rent? These guys, like it or not, are billionaires for a reason, and it isn't because they throw money at things that are the equivalent of throwing money in the toilet.
There is a billionaire willing to buy the team and run it properly.
Reevely: Second-place bidder still keen on LeBreton Flats if Sens' bid falters, but patience is waning

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Or this has been one big marketing ploy to keep the Sens in the news. Karlsson was told about this awhile ago and is just playing his part. The team needs an makeover and they did just that. Maybe they think some of the rookies can contribute next season. Duchene said himself the future looks very bright.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006

From that article:
Poulin on Friday repeated the offers DCDLS made then: to simply hand land at LeBreton over to Melnyk and the team to build a new arena on their own; to build an arena and invite the Senators in as tenants; to buy the team if Melnyk changes his mind.
“(National Hockey League commissioner Gary) Bettman is a good friend of André Desmarais, you know,” Poulin remarked, oh-so smoothly. “I’m sure between those three guys, something could be worked out. We’re creative, you know.”

Very interesting.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
“The only thing is there are not "thousands" of fans who would join in such a chant, maybe a few hundred at best, who would show up and waste their time.” -dracula

How can you be so sure?
Got stats to support your assumption?

As I posted in another thread, there has been $9,782 raised by 405 people in 3 days for the go fund me billboard campaign, and 405 people works out to about 0.03% of the Ottawa-Gatineau region's population.

These 405 people shelled out an average of about $20 each, and doubt they'd all attend a Sens game together and start chanting.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
As I posted in another thread, there has been $9,782 raised by 405 people in 3 days for the go fund me billboard campaign, and 405 people works out to about 0.03% of the Ottawa-Gatineau region's population.

These 405 people shelled out an average of about $20 each, and doubt they'd all attend a Sens game together and start chanting.

Your boy Melnyck is 1 poorly-tempered man and he can piss off an entire city and a $6 billion sports league, then 405 people can do a ton.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1st round: Who was the favorite ? Boston
2nd round : Who was the favorite : NYR
3rd round : Who was the favorite : Pittsburgh
Final : Who would have been the favorite if we would have beat Pitts? Nashville.

Don't agree with that one.

I felt Ottawa was a clear Favourite over Nashville if they had beaten the Penguins.

The Ottawa Senators finished 12th over all last season, 6th in their conference,and the Nashville Predators 18th overall and was the 8th seed in their conference.

Ottawa would have had "Home Ice" and the injury situation at the time would have favoured Ottawa I believe.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Your boy Melnyck is 1 poorly-tempered man and he can piss off an entire city and a $6 billion sports league, then 405 people can do a ton.

Where is your stats to support your claim that an "entire city and a 6 Billion Sport league" is pissed off?

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
What was the marketing like in Ottawa during the playoff run? How was it comparable to previous years?

I was in the middle of a field in the prairies so I missed out on the run and the hype. Genuinely interested if marketing was substantially different this past year.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I appreciate your honesty and I think you represent a giant group of Sens fans. And I'm not sure what can be done about it.

Reactions: DrEasy

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Boycott is not the answer. A show of support would open Melnyk's eyes more.

If the fans came out in Karlsson gear for the remaining games and supported the team, I believe that would send a better message. Also with the billboard. Don't waste money on #melnykout. Start a new campaign on pressuring Melnyk to keep EK65.

Reactions: swiftwin

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
This. I don't understand how the fine fans in Ottawa couldn't have gotten off their asses and gone to see a PLAYOFF game. That went completely beyond me. But then again a lot of the things Ottawa fans say, go beyond me. ie: a) The arena is too far. Bloody hell, I lived in Ottawa for 5 years and nothing was far! I lived in the Hunt Club area and I could get to Orleans, downtown or out to Kanata within 15 - 20 minutes. 2) The ticket prices are too high. You're joking, right? You've got the cheapest tickets in Canada. 3) It's too hard getting out of the parking lot. Cry me a river. It's hard getting out of any parking lot after a sporting event or concert. It's not unique to Ottawa. 4) Too much traffic. NOT! Ottawa has very little traffic. Come live in Toronto if you want to see traffic. And it's non-stop. Not only during rush hours . . . anytime of the day/night.

I've visited this forum off and on for a few years and I've never been able to understand the mentality of the fans in Ottawa. I dislike Melnyk as much as any of you do, but I think the fans need to take a bit of the blame for not supporting their team, especially during the playoffs. And . . . if you don't support them now you might not have a team anymore. How do you think the players feel playing to a half empty arena? They might all want out of Ottawa to go play for a team where the fans appreciate them.

It's a 2-way street though.

I remember that day. I wanted to go to a playoff game and I just assumed that it was sold out. I don't recall seeing announcements from the team that there were still 1000 tickets available. If there were, I missed what was probably just 1 tweet about it.

Also, people are lazy. I'm lazy as hell. I just assumed the game was sold out and didn't bother to check for tickets. I bet a lot of other people were in the same boat as me, and the only way for the team to avoid that is to get the news out there.

Fast forward to the Chris Neil appreciation game this year. Where the hell were the announcements about that? A few hours before the game the team tweets about it. What the hell? Who dropped the ball there?

It doesn't help now that a lot of the fan base is disenfranchised with the team. It'll be hard to woo them back with nothing but the promise of mediocre play, poor coaching, a cheap and vilified owner, expensive parking and Cotton Eye Joe playing during 3 commercial breaks.

It's an interesting conundrum for me, personally. Do I want to go to games? Yes. Do I like going to games? Yes. Do I want to support Melnyk? HELL NO.

Reactions: coladin

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Are all 405 HFboard members?

Are they the only people who hate Melnyk?

Are there other people who hate Melnyk but haven't even heard of this social media movement?

Are there other people who hate Melnyk, but didn't feel this was the correct way to protest?

Are there people who hate Melnyk but didn't have the money to contribute over the weekend?

In short, do you stand by your statement that HFboards is the only place that has this level of hatred for Eugene?

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Does someone want to write my post lol?

I'm sure many here could, but I just want to be honest with you guys. I can't join the boycott side because I don't see the benefit of it. While I question the kinds of fans we have, regularly, I do have to say that the fans that do show up are amazing. Last year's playoff run, the emotion in the stands for the people who were there was the best I have ever experienced, maybe back to 07 Cup run, but either I am getting old and my ears are failing, but after every home game, even the one with 2K empty seats, my ears were ringing well into the night.

I love hearing goals on the road. I see more Sens fans than ever, and I rewind them over and over because I get a kick out of our fans showing up and being heard. Our diehards are phenomenal and would put them up against any fans in the league.

I am also of the opinion that if the arena was full, and not tarped, even at our prices, we wouldn't have many of the issues that we are facing right now, and unfortunately will be facing down the road. That is just plain economics. Fans can stay home in droves and try and smoke him out, but Mark Stone needs to get paid. Matt Duchene needs to get paid. And of course Erik Karlsson needs to be paid. That is the NHL and when they leave, we can continue to blame people like the owner, the arena, the fans, the in-game entertainment, parking, etc...but it won't matter. Those players will be wiped off our jerseys, our city, and we can no longer cheer for them as an extension of our soul.

If you care at all about these players being on our team, you have to go. I know people are angry. I know people hate the owner. I have stated repeatedly that I do not like him and would rather a new owner. But I have chosen to separate my dislike for the owner from the players that I cheer for and represent our city. I have to. I can't let it be personal because if I don't go, I am allowing the owner to use us as an excuse . Winter is long here and I love watching hockey, even bad hockey lol, and I want my kids to enjoy what we have, and NHL team in Ottawa.

When the day comes, and hope it doesn't, Melnyk will point to decreasing revenues and how impossible it is to sign these expensive players when the arena is a quarter empty. And other markets will laugh at us for not supporting the team , point to the playoff run, point to having a player like Karlsson and 11K people watching him. They will blame us. This city will not escape that train of thought, even in the face of a lousy owner. Numbers will be shown, heads will nod convincingly that we did a lousy job supporting our team. The principle of it will be ignored. I just feel it is a no win situation and damned if we go, and damned if we don't go.

I know people want to assign blame to this and that, and to justify their reasons. I just think that we are just hurting our own team by doing so. The owner cannot bankroll double digit losses. I know people expect him to, but he won't. He will make it close to revenue neutral. He needs to make the playoffs to make money. That is why Dorion stated they have to be in the playoffs every year. Not for us. FOR HIM. He makes money and Pierre can stick to hockey decisions. Can you imagine that scenario? I can't. But 'I'm hopeful.

I lash out at people here because I sensed what has started to happen last year. And I'm sure the empty seats spooked him , in the middle of a playoff run. I lash out because I feel that the people that don't go penalize those that do go, and kill the team's ability to retain our stars. So yeah, makes me unpopular, but I can live with that here. I am angry that cheap seats are not being bought. I cannot understand, short of economics, of course, how this is happening.

The "DrEasy" fans of this city, I truly believe there are a giant group that have lost something. I don't know if this situation will change something and realize what is possibly at stake. But it is hard to quantify what it is, and it is alarming. The Senators have to find a way to get these fans back because there are thousands who feel that way.

Probably one of the most sincere posts I have read on this forum and it struck a chord. So well done DrEasy. I will try and follow that path and be more sincere, and get these forums back to what they used to be. We all cheer for the same team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad