Our last 3 game win streak was in February 2019, and we are 15-16-6 since then

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
6-3 W vs Montreal on February 23rd
5-3 W vs Buffalo on February 25th
6-2 W vs Edmonton on February 27th

All non playoff teams (at the time). Then the rest of the regular season we went 7-8-4, lost in 7 games to the Bruins, and are off to a 4-3-1 start after 8 games, making our record 14-15-5 ever since. Or 11-11-5 if you don't wanna count the playoff games, but that's still a bad record for a team with supposedly so much talent and skill.

With us seeing the same old Leafs to start this year, our problems may be deeper than people think. This team may not be that good after all, or it could be a coaching issue. We blamed Gardiner, Hainsey, Babcock, DJ Smith (D coach before he left to OTT) last season, now who can we blame? Is it the players? Is this team too soft? Heartless? Is it Babcock's system?

Something isn't right with this team, and we have 4 players making 40 million dollars here, it needs to get figured out fast or we could miss the playoffs.

edit: Now 15-16-6 as of Oct 22.

Last edited:

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
nice cherry-picked stat!

hey, what's our record since March of 2015 when leading after 2 periods but blowing the lead ONLY when one of our 3rd liners takes a penalty with under 5 minutes remaining AND the goalie was pulled?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
nice cherry-picked stat!

hey, what's our record since March of 2015 when leading after 2 periods but blowing the lead ONLY when one of our 3rd liners takes a penalty with under 5 minutes remaining AND the goalie was pulled?
How is it a cherry picked stat? We haven't won 3 games in a row in a long ass time. We blew a 4-1 lead to Montreal while on a 2 game win streak and a 2-0 lead to Washington last night while on a 2 game win streak. We haven't been able to string together consistent results dating back to February of last season.

Unless you like winning-losing-winning-losing-winning-losing-winning-losing? I sure don't. Not with this supposed talented roster.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dubas wanted to build a hardcore hockey team with softcore talent @ highball prices. The end result is a team that's really good some of the time but gets beat up the rest of the time. They also can't adapt during game to demands and overpower pressing teams. They fold under pressure because they have little spine.

That's why balanced teams are better. They can shift gears and combat a team pushing on you with adrenaline in other ways than just dangles. Dubas never played at a high level if at all so how would he know. Shanny just trusted him lol

How to fix? Probably...

Trade Marner, Barrie, Kappy, AJ and start to work the market re-balancing the team under a new GM.

Reactions: baton elevated

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
nice cherry-picked stat!

Let me guess. You're a Babcock fan?

Reactions: saffronleaf

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Mentally I'm separating last year's end of season record from this seasons record.

There's over 50% turnover in the roster and the coaching staff. It's a completely different team.
You can't lump two seasons together l in that case.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Mentally I'm separating last year's end of season record from this seasons record.

There's over 50% turnover in the roster and the coaching staff. It's a completely different team.
You can't lump together years in that case.

It's not a different team. It's the same team with different players. It's the exact same kind of team if not softer. They are asking a coach that wants a balanced team approach to coach a Ron Wilson team FFS. The soft team idea is BS, it almost never ever works but we are going that way again.

Seriously, trade Marner, Kappy, AJ, Barrie during this season and stock up on picks and some prospects or players of use. Even if you can't trade Marner this season for good return trade the others.

Right now it would leave you...

Miky/Moore Matthews Nylander
Hyman JT Miky/Moore
Tima Kerfoot Spezza/Shore
Korsh Goat Spezza/Shore

That's without getting ANY return for those players. The team already is a little harder care of Miky and Moore in the top 6.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
It's not a different team. It's the same team with different players. It's the exact same kind of team if not softer. They are asking a coach that wants a balanced team approach to coach a Ron Wilson team FFS. The soft team idea is BS, it almost never ever works but we are going that way again.

Seriously, trade Marner, Kappy, AJ, Barrie
With the amount of roster turnover, and coaching turnover, it's 100% a different team.

Who says toughness is even the issue? There are tougher teams than us that have much worse records in the past 30 games.

And trading those players is just a joke man. Seriously give your head a shake.

Reactions: hoglund

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would definitely be great to have a winning streak consisting of more than the minimum. It's still early enough in this season. More troubling for me is the coughing up of leads of more than one goal. That cannot - and hopefully will not - become routine if the team wants to achieve a certain amount of success.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
With the amount of roster turnover, and coaching turnover, it's 100% a different team.

Who says toughness is even the issue? There are tougher teams than us that have much worse records in the past 30 games.

And trading those players is just a joke man. Seriously give your head a shake.

The only joke is the supporters of freaking Dubas. So find me a minimum wage backup that was as good as McBackup was. Now fix the 3rd pairing and don't say Sandin. Now fix Kappy who has sucked and fix AJ who is soft and disappears under pressure. Barrie is no different than maybe a slightly better Jake Gardiner with more flash. SAME ERRORS at the same RATE as Jake made in the past.

Reactions: baton elevated

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Why is it that when discussing players, people complain when using sample sizes of less than a season, but when discussing team success (or lack thereof) it’s perfectly fine...?

Reactions: Advanced stats

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
How is it a cherry picked stat? We haven't won 3 games in a row in a long ass time. We blew a 4-1 lead to Montreal while on a 2 game win streak and a 2-0 lead to Washington last night while on a 2 game win streak. We haven't been able to string together consistent results dating back to February of last season.

Unless you like winning-losing-winning-losing-winning-losing-winning-losing? I sure don't. Not with this supposed talented roster.

the bigger question is how did you even find out the last time we won 3 games in a row... how does one go about finding out that kind of information?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Let me guess. You're a Babcock fan?

when was the last time Babcock pulled the starting goalie and put in the backup after the team gave up 4 goals in 9 minutes in the 2nd period but only when the opposing team scored all 4 goals on their 2nd line all while on the powerplay? I know you can find us that stat.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
The only joke is the supporters of freaking Dubas. So find me a minimum wage backup that was as good as McBackup was. Now fix the 3rd pairing and don't say Sandin. Now fix Kappy who has sucked and fix AJ who is soft and disappears under pressure. Barrie is no different than maybe a slightly better Jake Gardiner with more flash. SAME ERRORS at the same RATE as Jake made in the past.
Nice that you've backed off the toughness stance so quickly.

The 3rd pairing is fixed when Dermott comes back.
AJ is fairly fiesty actually, and has played well.
Kapanen looks a lot better on line 3.
Barrie is a lot better than Gardiner.

BUG is an issue, but if that's the biggest problem, dubas can solve that with a pick.

The wildest thing is you want to trade all these players and have made all these valuations based on a 7 game sample size.
Fortunately you're not the GM.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

You can't lump two seasons together l in that case.

Last year is over. With all the turnover the team has had it's irrelevant
I disagree with this take. While surrounding pieces like Gardiner, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Ennis, Brown, Marleau are gone, the core of this team is 100% intact. The core is the guys carrying the workload most of the time. Also, swapping Ceci, Barrie and Marincin/Holl for Gardiner, Hainsey and Zaitsev are essentially lateral moves at best.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nice that you've backed off the toughness stance so quickly.

The 3rd pairing is fixed when Dermott comes back.
AJ is fairly fiesty actually, and has played well.
Kapanen looks a lot better on line 3.
Barrie is a lot better than Gardiner.

BUG is an issue, but if that's the biggest problem, dubas can solve that with a pick.

The wildest thing is you want to trade all these players and have made all these valuations based on a 7 game sample size.
Fortunately you're not the GM.

There is no 7 game sample. This team has been a joke since DEC last year. That's the sample. Other teams play us hard and we fade under pressure. They can't pull out the wins.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Although it is eye opening, that stat, but its a new year with tons of player and coaching turnover.

Overall despite their mediocre record, the team is better than last years iteration. They just need time to gel and Hyman to come back

Having said that, they need a reliable backup goaltender and ideally someone better than Ceci. That will do wonders.

Toughness will come with experience and Hyman and Korshkov who I hope will be called up in December/January. Mikheyev is also a nice addition which makes them harder to play against.

As hard as it may be to accept, things are developing quite nicely this seasin and I anticipate a long playoff run. Poyer play looks way better too

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
We've gotten bad goaltending.

That's it. That's the problem.

Freddie will get it together and we'll be fine. But we should definitely try to get a better backup ASAP.

lol.
when your team doesnt perform, it's always the goalie. The easiest to blame.
I'm not saying Freddie is great, but we have far, far bigger problems than goaltending.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We've been underachieving since our torrid start to the season last year.

If things don't change by the end of the calendar year, I think a coaching change would be justified.

Reactions: stickty111

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
The main problem is still here though, called Mike Babcock.
Sure, if that's you're stance, by all means it's very valid. I agree, if the issues persist we'll have Keefe as a coach before the playoffs.

I don't understand the point of people that want to blow up the whole team though.

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad