Our lack of Power Plays

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
The Rangers are dead last in Power Plays this season with 5 less power plays than the team in 29th. They are already a whopping 25 PP opportunities behind Colorado and Arizona who are in 1st. How can a team that has such high end skill and scores so many goals draw such few PPs? It's not like refs just swallow their whistle in games involving us because we are middle of the pack in times short handed.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Lack of sustained possession? Aren't we getting killed on the fancy stats?

i actually think that our type of possession should lead to more penalties drawn. if your just firing the puck on net, a defender really doesnt need to take a penalty because the puck isnt on the stick of the attacker anymore. if an attacker is holding the puck or a team is keeping possession by passing the puck around, a defender would be more likely to commit an infraction because they are continually defending. it just seems odd to me that our type of play and level of firepower doesnt result in more penalties drawn. add in that were also one of the fastest teams in the league and it just doesnt add up to me.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
rangers are a quick strike offense...we dont seem to hold the puck in the offensive zone cycling and that lends itself to not having tripping penalties, holding penalties, etc be called...when you play off the rush, its not that easy to get a PP unless its a desperation hook or trip...its also important to note that i can remember a few plays where the refs hands have gone up to call a penalty and the rangers have simply scored on the continuation of the play....that seems to have happened a lot more this year than in any time i can really remember.

rangers are also playing with the lead a lot, so other teams are pressing the play in the offensive zone, which means more defending, less offense, less chance to draw a penalty.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Overall yeah

But leading and close games are pretty good.

Yeah I feel like having the lead in most of the games this season has a lot to do with it.

IMO, it's a little early in the season to make declarative statements on overall team trends. (not saying this to any person in particular) We aren't going to lead in such a massive % of game time for the whole year, so many of these trends/stats are going to adjust and balance out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad