Player Discussion Our goaltending tandem

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I think they both play well enough to get us comfortably in the playoffs.

It will be back and forth all year as to who is the better.

The goalie playing the hottest come playoffs will run with it.

I'm expecting that to be Talbot, as I'm expecting another late season injury from BSD.

OT: Is BSD really 6'3"?? He doesn't look that tall, at all. He looks a bit taller than Vernon??!?!

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think they both play well enough to get us comfortably in the playoffs.

It will be back and forth all year as to who is the better.

The goalie playing the hottest come playoffs will run with it.

I'm expecting that to be Talbot, as I'm expecting another late season injury from BSD.

OT: Is BSD really 6'3"?? He doesn't look that tall, at all. He looks a bit taller than Vernon??!?!

Vernon was like 5’8 or thereabouts. Probably because goalies play the butterfly is the reason they look similar in height, but Rittich is almost always going to be crowched or on his knees, while Vernon was a standup goalie.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Snoozing on Artyom Zagidulan in this thread?

We didn't know if AZ's style would favorably translate. I believe this year will be his first in NA.

He's looking good so far, but I don't think I'd immediately pencil him in as a starter/backup. Maybe as back up as early as next season if he's looking great in the AHL though?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We didn't know if AZ's style would favorably translate. I believe this year will be his first in NA.

He's looking good so far, but I don't think I'd immediately pencil him in as a starter/backup. Maybe as back up as early as next season if he's looking great in the AHL though?

Who gets the first call if either Talbot or Rittich get injured? :dunno:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Who gets the first call if either Talbot or Rittich get injured? :dunno:

Gilles > AZ = Parsons?

Yeah, it's not a very deep pool of goal tending options.

Gilles was dealing with injury and some off ice tragedies I believe. I hope he bounces back to being a legit option for back up this season. But I'm also very happy that AZ looks solid. I would however pump the brakes on penciling him in until we see more in the AHL.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Do you have access to secret khl footage or something?

Genuinely curious, because I guess you would’ve known then.

Pretty sure he was part of the 95%.

EDIT: I guess I'm wrong, he was one of the 5% who had heard the name before. :laugh:

The only question is how quickly as part of the 95% you embraced AZ. I've got one foot on the bandwagon because I'm trying to temper expectations on someone I didn't know existed until we signed him earlier this off season.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not at all, guys a stud. I just think 95% of us here hadn't heard of him prior to signing.
I'd like to know who the 5% are. Names... we want names.. because those 5% have got some serious scouting credentials and shouldn't be wasting their time posting on HF. They should be working for some NHL team instead.

Reactions: super6646

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Do you have access to secret khl footage or something?

Genuinely curious, because I guess you would’ve known then.

Nah but I had heard about him the prior off season to him signing, just reading blogs about KHL guys who might come over. Scouting for a deep fantasy league. Read about how multiple NHL teams had been pursing Zagidulin and about his upside. Led me to read a bit more about him and then made a note to watch for him in the Spengler cup. Essentially forgot about him until it came out the Flames were going to sign him. Far from an expert on him of course, but I was legitimately happy when we signed him.

My post at the time of signing him.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Gilles > AZ = Parsons?

Zag
Parsons = Wolf

Gillies

If Gillies didn't have a contract he'd be cut, he is a complete train wreck. He has no confidence, he's all over the place in the net.

Rittich needed half a season in the AHL before he was called up the next season and by his 3rd North American season he was the Flames starter. If Zag has a solid AHL campaign this year I'd pencil him in as our back-up next year as he'd be cheap and the Flames have little caproom for goalies.

Reactions: ScrewNHLOfficiating

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Zag
Parsons = Wolf

Gillies

If Gillies didn't have a contract he'd be cut, he is a complete train wreck. He has no confidence, he's all over the place in the net.

Rittich needed half a season in the AHL before he was called up the next season and by his 3rd North American season he was the Flames starter. If Zag has a solid AHL campaign this year I'd pencil him in as our back-up next year as he'd be cheap and the Flames have little caproom for goalies.

This.

I have 0 confidence in Gillies.

The starter role is Rittich’s to lose. First call up should be Zag when Talbot loses ya games. Hope I’m wrong about Talbot.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
My question is... what do the Flames do with Gillies?? They can't buy him out, he's unlikely to be claimed if waived, there really isn't a goalie spot available for him in Stockton, and its unlikely they will find someone to take him as a loaner...
Find another team to take him in trade if the Flames add in a sweetener to make the deal?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Flames are stuck with Talbot unless he gets injured. Hopefully he can turn it around (although I don't believe he will) and show that the other night was just a bad fluke. Frankly, I'd be happy with him if he finished the season with anything above a .900 sv%.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The Flames are stuck with Talbot unless he gets injured. Hopefully he can turn it around (although I don't believe he will) and show that the other night was just a bad fluke. Frankly, I'd be happy with him if he finished the season with anything above a .900 sv%.

What low standards we have these days.

I still don’t understand how a reclaimation project can get an almost 3 million dollar contract (even if it does pan out).

Should’ve been a 1.75-2 million dollar deal.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What low standards we have these days.

I still don’t understand how a reclaimation project can get an almost 3 million dollar contract (even if it does pan out).

Should’ve been a 1.75-2 million dollar deal.
Only because at .900 sv% the Flames have enough firepower to win a lot of those games.
And yes, I too believe it was an over pay and I have to believe that the backup goalie market this summer was pretty damn slim if we were forced to sign Talbot. Not a fan of the signing at all. I hate it.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Only because at .900 sv% the Flames have enough firepower to win a lot of those games.
And yes, I too believe it was an over pay and I have to believe that the backup goalie market this summer was pretty damn slim if we were forced to sign Talbot. Not a fan of the signing at all. I hate it.

I'd hold off on that judgement if our puckluck slides off a bit and Tkachuk holds out.

Really hope Talbot doesn't crap the bed. Said he was boom or bust from day 1, and I don't think the assessment is wrong.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Gillies while unimpressive still looked better than Talbot.

I don't think that really says much :laugh:

You have witnessed both numerous of times.

Zagidulin is waiting in the pipeline when needed and he'll be needed sooner than later I imagine.

Although we will see if Talbot steps up. Rittich isn't bad by any means. I am just not high on Talbot or Gillies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad