Our future defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm most excited about adding Ceci. Wiercioch is a nice player, and he's impressing under very sheltered minutes...but I think that Ceci is going to add a dimension to this team that just gives more space to everyone. If Karlsson isn't on the ice Ceci most likely will be and both of those guys are so smart. Obviously Ceci isn't Karlsson level, but he also doesn't play the same way. Our team is going to be so dangerous from the back-end with a top 4 of Methot - Karlsson - Cowen - Ceci and even a bottom pairing of something like Wiercioch - Gryba that it's going to be so, so hard to not only keep us in our own zone, but stop us from absolutely owning the transition and offensive opportunities provided to forwards.

I know there are some other promising bluelines across the league, but I can't help but think ours should be top 3 - 5 in the league in a few years.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm most excited about adding Ceci. Wiercioch is a nice player, and he's impressing under very sheltered minutes...but I think that Ceci is going to add a dimension to this team that just gives more space to everyone. If Karlsson isn't on the ice Ceci most likely will be and both of those guys are so smart. Obviously Ceci isn't Karlsson level, but he also doesn't play the same way. Our team is going to be so dangerous from the back-end with a top 4 of Methot - Karlsson - Cowen - Ceci and even a bottom pairing of something like Wiercioch - Gryba that it's going to be so, so hard to not only keep us in our own zone, but stop us from absolutely owning the transition and offensive opportunities provided to forwards.

I know there are some other promising bluelines across the league, but I can't help but think ours should be top 3 - 5 in the league in a few years.

Wiercioch is playing some very good hockey these days & he is very young he will get even better especially defensively as he puts on more weight & muscle. I see Ceci as being a very similar player with good offensive upside & needing to work on the defensive side of the ice. Both have good size, both are decent skaters & both are PMD. What I like is one guy is a left shot & one is a right shot & give us more skill on the blueline to take some pressure off Karlsson. I also assume that Ottawa could add another good defenceman in this yr's draft & I'm a little anxious to see how Tim Boyle does in college & whether he adds more height over the next few yrs.

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Methot - Gryba or Sdao/Boroweicki

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I love that in the not too distant future our D could be so good Methot is in our five-six pair.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Wiercioch is playing some very good hockey these days & he is very young he will get even better especially defensively as he puts on more weight & muscle. I see Ceci as being a very similar player with good offensive upside & needing to work on the defensive side of the ice. Both have good size, both are decent skaters & both are PMD. What I like is one guy is a left shot & one is a right shot & give us more skill on the blueline to take some pressure off Karlsson. I also assume that Ottawa could add another good defenceman in this yr's draft & I'm a little anxious to see how Tim Boyle does in college & whether he adds more height over the next few yrs.

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Methot - Gryba or Sdao/Boroweicki

Ceci is already pretty strong defensively. His offensive game has just started to really explode because of how smart he is on the ice. He's going to be a stud for us and I like Wiercioch but he doesn't have close to Ceci's potential IMO. Ceci is also a much better skater than Wiercioch.

KarlssonnSchultz

Feb 5, 2013
Ottawa
Ceci is already pretty strong defensively. His offensive game has just started to really explode because of how smart he is on the ice. He's going to be a stud for us and I like Wiercioch but he doesn't have close to Ceci's potential IMO. Ceci is also a much better skater than Wiercioch.

I don't know man, I have to say that Wiercioch's game is really impressing me so far. I think it takes Ceci 2 years to make it to the NHL and I don't think he'll be as good as Wiercioch is now, for a year or two after that.

I believe that Patty will be a lock on our D for the next little while for sure.

allardsens

Mar 19, 2013
Ok first post here so I'll give this a go.

Cowen - Karl
Weir - Ceci
Methot - XXXX

I think these 5 are pretty much locks down the road. The XXXX could be a mix or match of any of Gryba, Boro, other prospects, future draft picks. Really just too many variables to say. I'm not really sure Gryba, Boro have a huge future here. But that's just me. Short term? Absolutely. But most likely not in the long term (5+ years? Not really sure how to define long term to be honest)

Now a few more comments

Re. Weir: Awesome offensive instincts..but you are in denial if you think he doesn't need to put the physical tools and defensive game together a little better to really be a clear cut top 4 in this league. Still very young. Patience will pay off with this guy I think

Re. Boro: 23 yrs old, 2 years of pro and what, less than 10 games in the NHL? and some people are ragging on him. One dude in another thread even said switch him to forward. Like...c'mon. I feel like most GMs would be pretty happy to have a young defenseman who has progressed this much this quickly in their system. But hey either some of the wannabe scouts on this board are extremely fickle, or just really don't understand that guys need time to develop. He was an ahl all star in his first year for fricks sake.

Re. Gryba: same situation as Boro. Written off by people here..and now he is proving he can play. And play well. Good story I think. Also goes to show that we The fans really have no idea what Managements plans are for players down the road, etc etc. (disappointing i know).But even he is only in his third year of pro. I find it kind of amusing how posters here get bored of prospects so quickly. Shiny new toy syndrome here big time. He plays with a lot of confidence and has the physical tools. Is he perfect? No. But he's still relatively young for a defenseman and personally I think will be a serviceable guy in this league. I really like what he brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->