Our future defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Weircioch
Phillips-Gryba

Looks solid defensively, but outside of Karlsson and Weircioch that blueline is very limited offensively. I really wouldn't mind having gonchar back for another season, but he'll probably want a multi year deal.

If Karlsson or Weirdcock go down there isn't much firepower from the back end and the powerplay is going to suffer. Hell who would be on the second pairing without gonchar? Phillips? That doesn't work very well heh

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
If this year is a lesson for anything, it's that we need solid depth on D. It's unbelievable what has happened, but we can't count on this every season.

We've used our 7, 8, 9 guys this year, so the equivalent next year according to that list would be: Benoit, Borowiecki, Ceci. Maybe throw Wideman and Rutkowski into the mix as well. Another signing would be prudent.

Not sure these are the 7, 8 & 9 guys, though Benoit is probably 7th once Karlsson is back.

Claesson, Sado, and New might surprise people given the opportunity just like PW and Gryba surprised many this year.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Not sure these are the 7, 8 & 9 guys, though Benoit is probably 7th once Karlsson is back.

Claesson, Sado, and New might surprise people given the opportunity just like PW and Gryba surprised many this year.

Karlsson
Gonchar
Methot
Phillips
Cowen
Gryba
Wiercioch 7
Benoit 8
Lundin 9
Borowiecki 10

7, 8, 9, 10 have played a total of 62 games for us this year so far. Seems like a lot. Not sure if the guys you mentioned are capable of filling in like our rooks have this year.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Karlsson
Gonchar
Methot
Phillips
Cowen
Gryba
Wiercioch 7
Benoit 8
Lundin 9
Borowiecki 10

7, 8, 9, 10 have played a total of 62 games for us this year so far. Seems like a lot. Not sure if the guys you mentioned are capable of filling in like our rooks have this year.

In all likelihood Gonchar won't be back, nor will Lundin.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Have we already forgotten Boro?

Seems like the hype machine quieted on him and hes been passed by Benoit, Weircioch, Gryba...

We need to be 8-9 guys deep for a full reg season...

We will have...
Karlsson
Cowen
Methot
Weircioch
Phillips
Gryba
Benoit
Boro
Ceci
Claessan(sp?)

Maybe Gonchar comes back or we sign a guy top play in our top 6D??? Lots of possibilities

I think people have seen that besides physicality boro doesnt bring much,he has been passed by wiercoch for sure and with gryba, cowen and philipps being shutdown guys I dont think there is a place for boro I think he will be an ahl player

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
Can't see Boro staying with you guys after next season. He'd be 25, 3yrs pro, less than 80 nhl games. That would make him a Group 6 UFA. My guess is that your GM will have to move him next year or lose him for nothing at the end of the season. Lots of teams will gladly take a player like him - especially a D man at that age. Hope to see him in Philly ! Many Clarkson alum would love to see that.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Can't see Boro staying with you guys after next season. He'd be 25, 3yrs pro, less than 80 nhl games. That would make him a Group 6 UFA. My guess is that your GM will have to move him next year or lose him for nothing at the end of the season. Lots of teams will gladly take a player like him - especially a D man at that age. Hope to see him in Philly ! Many Clarkson alum would love to see that.

He's 23 now, which means he'll be 24 after next year.

I mean, I'm open to trading him, that's fine. I'm just pointing out that he might not be a group VI guy? I have no idea when the "birth date" for the age cutoff is for Group VI eligibility... Boro is a July 12th birthday. July 12th, 2014, he'll be 25.

In any case, we'd probably move him if some GM brought forward the right offer anyways, RFA/UFA situation notwithstanding.

Last edited:

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
He's 23, which means he'll be 24 after next year.

I mean, I'm open to trading him, that's fine. I'm just pointing out that he might not be a group VI guy?

Looked up his birthdate on the Sens website. He'll be 24 this July, then 25 in July 2014. He'd definitely be a Group 6 at that time if he doesn't have 80 NHL games under his belt.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Looked up his birthdate on the Sens website. He'll be 24 this July, then 25 in July 2014. He'd definitely be a Group 6 at that time if he doesn't have 80 NHL games under his belt.

Yeah, I edited my post above... I just don't know what the date you need to be 25 is... I have a feeling it's July 1st, aka "the first day of UFA", in which case he won't qualify for Group VI (by 11 days, the skin of his teeth).

Any idea on the exact cutoff date?

*EDIT*
I just checked. The cutoff date IS July 1st, so Boro will miss out on Group VI UFA status by 11 days. Cutting it close, haha...

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, I edited my post above... I just don't know what the date you need to be 25 is... I have a feeling it's July 1st, aka "the first day of UFA", in which case he won't qualify for Group VI (by 11 days, the skin of his teeth).

Any idea on the exact cutoff date?

*EDIT*
I just checked. The cutoff date IS July 1st, so Boro will miss out on Group VI UFA status by 11 days. Cutting it close, haha...

bryanmurray.jpg

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
i posted (something similar to) this in another thread, but since this is more on topic, this'll be a better place to discuss it. i do believe i read at least one other person suggest this before, though.

i don't want cowen and karlsson to play together. at least not for a few years. cowen still needs time to develop, and putting him in a spot beside karlsson is not the place he should do that. if he plays there, he will learn to be a complimentary player, not a dominating player. we should leave methot with karlsson and have cowen learn how to carry the puck, move the puck, and create his own offense. if he can learn that, we can have one of karlsson or cowen dominating the ice at almost all times. cowen has the potential to be a game changer at both ends of the ice. a two-way force. if he doesn't reach those heights, then you pair him with karlsson and still make a great top pairing.

tl;dr: cowen has #1 potential and should learn to carry a pairing himself, something he could learn much better when not paired with someone that will carry the game for you (karlsson). they can still play together some times.

I believe that was me.....and I'm still with you.

My fundamental reasoning is after the chemistry Methot and Karlsson had this season that is a pairing that can play 25min a night and be one of the best in the league. Cowen can be a 25min a night guy in my books too. If Ceci, Wiercioch or someone else can be 25min a night guy supporting Cowen, there's 100 of a possible 120mins covered each night by both those pairings. Sorta like how the ducks always had Birds or Pronged almost always on the ice.

Opens up a lot of possibilities for the third pairing too with sheltered minutes. Personally I want a better version of Carkner on that pairing and to that end, I'm going to following Sdao closely.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
He's 23 now, which means he'll be 24 after next year.

I mean, I'm open to trading him, that's fine. I'm just pointing out that he might not be a group VI guy? I have no idea when the "birth date" for the age cutoff is for Group VI eligibility... Boro is a July 12th birthday. July 12th, 2014, he'll be 25.

In any case, we'd probably move him if some GM brought forward the right offer anyways, RFA/UFA situation notwithstanding.

You need advance maths to read these two quotes, let me translate it for you:

X player will be one year older 12 months later

;)

george8it

Jul 19, 2012
What happened to that small Russian/ Kazah. D we were interested in? Antipin? He could be in the mix.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
My fundamental reasoning is after the chemistry Methot and Karlsson had this season that is a pairing that can play 25min a night and be one of the best in the league. Cowen can be a 25min a night guy in my books too. If Ceci, Wiercioch or someone else can be 25min a night guy supporting Cowen, there's 100 of a possible 120mins covered each night by both those pairings...
Opens up a lot of possibilities for the third pairing too with sheltered minutes. Personally I want a better version of Carkner on that pairing and to that end, I'm going to following Sdao closely.

I'm agreeing with this. I see Wiercioch getting the coach's confidence to at least be given a shot beside Cowen. Phillips on the 3rd pair with one of Benoit, Gryba, Wikstrand.

Gonchar might be back if the price/term was right but I think he'll look for more than just one year.

Borowiecki is the lost boy in all of this and unless he finds his marbles could be off the island (or off to the Island) in a trade. I just do not see where he is projected to fit when Grya has made such a statement and Sdao is in the wings.

And let us not forget Ceci and Wikstrand. they will certainly push for top Bingo minutes next year at the least.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wiercioch
Phillips - Benoit/Gryba
Benoit/Gryba

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I'm agreeing with this. I see Wiercioch getting the coach's confidence to at least be given a shot beside Cowen. Phillips on the 3rd pair with one of Benoit, Gryba, Wikstrand.

Gonchar might be back if the price/term was right but I think he'll look for more than just one year.

Borowiecki is the lost boy in all of this and unless he finds his marbles could be off the island (or off to the Island) in a trade. I just do not see where he is projected to fit when Grya has made such a statement and Sdao is in the wings.

And let us not forget Ceci and Wikstrand. they will certainly push for top Bingo minutes next year at the least.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wiercioch
Phillips - Benoit/Gryba
Benoit/Gryba

Down on the farm...

Cici-Sdao
Wikstrand-Sustr
Claesson - Wideman
Blood
New

Yes, please...

Actually I also forgot about Rutkowski, so there's that...

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Pretty sure Wikstrand already signed a deal to stay in Sweden next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad