Our future defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Everyone was worried about our defence coming into the season, but the kids have stepped up, and with Maclean's coaching, it has been solid.

But it looks like it is going to be even better in the future (ie 3 or so years, not next year)

Cowen-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Gryba
Methot-Ceci

Each pairing has a guy that can create offence, and a solid big body shutdown guy. And the best part is that it is so young that everybody should improve. :handclap: Just shows how great the Murrays have been at drafting

Last edited:

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Next year i think we may see
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Gryba
Phillips-Gonchar

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I love Gonchar but I don't know if we'll re-sign him. I think we'll make a move or sign a more younger 2 way defender with great offense. Buffy, Enstrom and Bogosian come to mind.

To be honest though. We may make no moves and see how it goes playing:

Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Gryba
Phillips-Wiercioch

Last edited:

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Methot (6.3 230 ) - Karlsson
Cowen (6.5 230)- Gryba (6.4 - 230)- shut down pair
Wiercioch (6.5 205) -Phillips 6.3 221)

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Yes, great topic. Gonchar and Phillips won't be here much longer, so the future is coming. And it does look nice. I do believe Cowen(my favorite Hockey Player) is our future Shut Down D-man, and that is so. I also believe Ceci was a good pick.

I like what all you guys are saying with those combos, I could see it. And see it being successful.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
I just want everyone to know that no one knows but management what the future holds. Will Karlsson, Cowen, Wiercoich and Ceci be traded no? But what I am trying to say is people predicted Runblad, Cowen and Karlsson and Runblad turned into Turris, And he is our future #2 Centre. Our future defense is bright but no one knows what it will look like in 2 years

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
lol that D is huge, I think we need a top 4 dman who can move the puck and skate tho

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
i posted (something similar to) this in another thread, but since this is more on topic, this'll be a better place to discuss it. i do believe i read at least one other person suggest this before, though.

i don't want cowen and karlsson to play together. at least not for a few years. cowen still needs time to develop, and putting him in a spot beside karlsson is not the place he should do that. if he plays there, he will learn to be a complimentary player, not a dominating player. we should leave methot with karlsson and have cowen learn how to carry the puck, move the puck, and create his own offense. if he can learn that, we can have one of karlsson or cowen dominating the ice at almost all times. cowen has the potential to be a game changer at both ends of the ice. a two-way force. if he doesn't reach those heights, then you pair him with karlsson and still make a great top pairing.

tl;dr: cowen has #1 potential and should learn to carry a pairing himself, something he could learn much better when not paired with someone that will carry the game for you (karlsson). they can still play together some times.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If we lose Gonchar it'll be a big hit to the offense generated by our defense. Big big hit.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
In a couple years

Karlsson-Cowen
Methot-Ceci
Wiercioch-Gryba

PP:
Karlsson-Ceci
Wiercioch-Cowen

Pk
Karlsson-Cowen
Methot-Gryba

2ex4qav.gif

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Methot (6.3 230 ) - Karlsson
Cowen (6.5 230)- Gryba (6.4 - 230)- shut down pair
Wiercioch (6.5 205) -Phillips 6.3 221)

I texted my bro this afternoon discussing Gonch re-signing and sent him this as our "oh well" scenario if he doesn't.

Totally fine either way.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Have we already forgotten Boro?

Seems like the hype machine quieted on him and hes been passed by Benoit, Weircioch, Gryba...

We need to be 8-9 guys deep for a full reg season...

We will have...
Karlsson
Cowen
Methot
Weircioch
Phillips
Gryba
Benoit
Boro
Ceci
Claessan(sp?)

Maybe Gonchar comes back or we sign a guy top play in our top 6D??? Lots of possibilities

source

Jul 13, 2008
Gryba is freaking incredible. To go from average AHL dman to top4 NHL dman in 1 year? Crazy!

jordan7hm

Aug 31, 2007
If anyone thinks Methot will be here as anything less than a top 4 D, they're out of their mind. More likely a top pairing D through the life of his contract. The guy can eat minutes.

I do really like that this season has forced Wiercoch and Gryba to play so many minutes. Both are really coming in to their own. Gryba hasn't been as good in the last few games as he was earlier on in his stint, but he looks like a capable NHLer, and Wiercoch is really demonstrating some of that puck movement he was touted for so many years ago.

It's looking good at least.

source

Jul 13, 2008

Seems like the hype machine quieted on him and hes been passed by Benoit, Weircioch, Gryba...

We will have...
Karlsson
Cowen
Methot
Weircioch
Phillips
Gryba
Benoit
Boro
Ceci
Claessan(sp?)

Maybe Gonchar comes back or we sign a guy top play in our top 6D??? Lots of possibilities

If this year is a lesson for anything, it's that we need solid depth on D. It's unbelievable what has happened, but we can't count on this every season.

We've used our 7, 8, 9 guys this year, so the equivalent next year according to that list would be: Benoit, Borowiecki, Ceci. Maybe throw Wideman and Rutkowski into the mix as well. Another signing would be prudent.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

We will have...
Karlsson
Cowen
Methot
Weircioch
Phillips
Gryba
Benoit
Boro
Ceci
Claessan(sp?)

People jumped on the Boro bandwagon because of comments made by Tim Murray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad