Our drafting has been abysmal

wshahbaz

Dec 15, 2010
Major reason why we will most likely end as a bottom 5 team this year, and the next few years to come.

When we are talking about trading Reinhart and Risto away so eagerly it's a major sign that our rebuild has been a major failure. Do fans really think we can build a team around Eichel and Dahlin? lol this isn't the old NHL, you need far more than 2 potential franchise players. We constantly miss on guys in the draft, it started with the Reinhart pick which was the start of this rebuild.

We win a few games and fans think we are progressing? The on ice performances from some of our core franchise players has been extremely worrying. Even Eichel is having on-off games.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
From 2007 - 2011 our drafting was among the very worst in the league, bar none.

2012-2014 had some intrigue, but it mostly flames out.

We’re still waiting on 2015-2018, but it looks night and day better than the previous decade. I had hopes for maybe 2-3 guys in that 2012-2014 grouping. For 2015-2018, it’s more like 12.

I still think risto was a good pick where we were, and what went around him.

That Reinhart pick, very very sadly, still needs some time to play out. I still have faith in his development, but it is in the middle of the 4th quarter.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The team is in the playoff hunt after the first month of the season and this is the response someone has.

OK....

The team isn't perfect and they have missed on multiple draft picks.

But, every team has that issue.

Just look at the 3 1st rounders Boston had in 2015.

This team is getting better. And talk about trading Reinhart and Ristolainen is just short term knee jerking, IMO.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I don’t think it rises (or is it lowers) to abysmal.

Hasn’t there been more than one article that says our prospect pool is very good?
I could have sworn I saw those posted on this very forum in the past few months.

Reactions: allsilverdreams

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Seems like a dramatic overreaction to one bad game.

The Sabres are off to the best start they've had in years, and we've got a number of prospects performing at a high level in the AHL and junior leagues. The sky isn't always falling.

That's part of the problem--its the Shinny New Toy syndrome

people see Rochester is doing well and wants to bring those players up so they feel they need to get rid of the current players.

Buffalos draft history

2002-2004 --very good they got 2-3 NHL players from these drafts. sure some of them were traded but evaluate it based on the picks.
2005-2007--poor scouting with scouting cut plus a few injusries killed potential in players.

2008-2010 This wasn't to bad drafting Myers, Ennis and Pysyk along with Foligmno and McNabb.
2011-2013 This was also pretty good. They drafted Armia, McCabe, Girgs, Risto along with others

2014-2016--they bottomed out and picked high. still unsure .

What is your expectations in drafting???

historuically if you can get two decent players you did great, you find more you did awesome. But also measure expectations against where players were drafted. You aren't expectation to get any top 4 or top 6 in the 3rd rounds or later (you can get goalies)

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Seems like a dramatic overreaction to one bad game.

The Sabres are off to the best start they've had in years, and we've got a number of prospects performing at a high level in the AHL and junior leagues. The sky isn't always falling.

Posters last week: "This is awesome, I like hockey again! But... take a deep breathe, this is a very young team, this season is going to be a roller coaster. It's important to remember that and remain even-keeled through the highs and the lows"

Posters today after losing in OT to the 1st place team of the Pacific division: "f*** we suck! trade Risto he sucks! Sam sucks again too, glad we didn't pay him!"

I think people have forgotten how to process losing for a team when they care about the season...

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Is "Reinhart is a bust" going to be an annual November tradition?

Suppose that depends on if he keeps having not very good starts to his seasons. Him going ppg in October would help remedy this. For the record I don't think he is a bust and don't want him traded but he IS having a slow start.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Major reason why we will most likely end as a bottom 5 team this year, and the next few years to come.

When we are talking about trading Reinhart and Risto away so eagerly it's a major sign that our rebuild has been a major failure. Do fans really think we can build a team around Eichel and Dahlin? lol this isn't the old NHL, you need far more than 2 potential franchise players. We constantly miss on guys in the draft, it started with the Reinhart pick which was the start of this rebuild.

We win a few games and fans think we are progressing? The on ice performances from some of our core franchise players has been extremely worrying. Even Eichel is having on-off games.

I stopped reading after this.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Pretty sure our rebuild started when we drafted Risto and Zadarov and or Grigorenko and Girgensons.

as for messing up on Reinhart, the top 3 consensus was Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett and Ekblad got drafted and we got the better Sam. Its unfortunate that we missed out on Draistle but I dont remember him ever being in the top 3 conversation for any scout.

I agree tho, the reason we needed depth so bad and used ROR to get that is because Darcy missed out on so many players that should be playing now and Murray made bad trades. However many players we are excited for are next up and they are from Murrays tenure.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I remember draft day when we drafted Grigorenko and Girgensons ... we thought our center problem was solved for the next 10 years. Grigorenko was a complete bust... Girgensons while not a bust definetly hasnt lived up to his drafted position much like Reinhart

Reactions: Jim Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad