Our defensive system.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The easiest difference to spot versus other teams are where the D-Men go in the D-Zone.

With most systems you will NEVER see both dmen chase the puck behind the net, especially on one side of the ice. With AV you see this all the time. This leaves the slot or the weakside option wide open.

This is the major flaw of his system, and teams exploit it over and over and over and over again. It's why you see 50 shots against.

IMO you get rid of him for repeating this level of stupidity over and over again. Tickets are more expensive than ever, and I'm not paying watch a bunch of morons on ice.

Not saying that the players are that dumb, but the direction they're receiving is equating to a very low quality product.

I watch less games, go to less games, and my interest is in other leagues and farm systems as a result. If I was the owner, and saw this trend from the customer base, I'd get replace the role where this faulty output is coming from. Plain and simple.

Thanks for what you've done, but it's not working anymore.

FWIW I use to play defense a lot and the normal is when the puck's in your end the left side guy tries to pressure the puck if it's on the left side while the right side guy covers the slot all the way back to the net and if the puck goes over to the right side they switch.....and hopefully you get help from your forwards particularly the center who also should be always aware of plays going into the slot area. All the time one of the D should be covering the front of the net though.

I never particularly cared for the man on man thing. I thing some defensemen it's fine--like Stralman and McDonagh--two way guys who were very good skaters and passers and processed the game really well--could make quick passes and the right play under a lot of pressure and also could defend well. AV's defensive posed a lot of problems particularly for both Girardi and Staal. Girardi who was never a great skater to begin with had spent the previous 4-5 years under the Torts regime blocking hundreds and hundreds of shots and was always kind of beaten up. Staal is a shell of what he used to be before he got hammered by his own brother and then a couple years later had half his head caved in by the deflected shot. I don't even think AV's man on man worked all that well for Boyle or Yandle both of whom were good when they had the puck but needed a more reliable partner to defend for them and that system kind of killed that. It's a system for 6 good two way defensemen and anyone who is mostly defense or mostly offense is going to look like shit quite a lot.

Reactions: Mikos87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->