Speculation: Our Defense Core 2013

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
- Subban

Emelin - XXXXXX

Gorges - XXXXXX​

Beaulieu and Tinordi on the rise; they could take a couple of those spots. However everybody knows that our biggest makeup over the summer will be on defense. What do you guys envision happening?

UFA's:

Markov ------ LH
Orpik ------- LH
Niskanen ------ RH
Girardi ----- RH
Mitchell ----- LH
Meszaros ----- LH
Klesla ------ LH
Stuart ----- LH
Fayne ----- RH

Trade is also a distinct possibility.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Emelin is a UFA also.

I would look at our own guys before UFA's because...UFA are often not UFA's or cost way too much.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I want at least one of Rusty, Ericsson or Nikitin. Plus Markov. And maybe Minus Emelin depending on his contract demands and how he recovers from his injury.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Girardi would be the best guy to go after on that list, it would be great if we could resign both Emelin and Markov.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Gorges should not be PKs partner in general, but especially if were going to go after any of those big UFAs.

XXX/Emelin - Subban
Emelin - XXX
Gorges-XXX

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I want us to go after a player like Girardi, he would be expensive, but well worth it, if we manage to win him over the Rangers. However, since I want Emelin, Beaulieu, and Tinordi on the team next year, it would mean that we would have to let go of Markov, something I do not want to do. But this would sure look good (assuming that Tinordi and Beaulieu would be ready for their roles):

Subban-Girardi
Tinordi-Emelin
Gorges-Beaulieu

I like Markov a lot, but if we can manage to win Girardi...lets go for it.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I would re-sign Markov for two years for about 3 million dollars, a fair deal in my opinion. Out of loyalty to him, and the reality that Beaulieu cannot yet replace Markovs productivity on the PP unit.

Subban-Girardi
Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Tinordi,Beaulieu

When Beaulieu manages to be fairly productive on the PP, I will look into trading Gorges.

Last edited:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I want us to go after a player like Girardi, he would be expensive, but well worth it, if we manage to win him over the Rangers. However, since I want Emelin, Beaulieu, and Tinordi on the team next year, it would mean that we would have to let go of Markov, something I do not want to do. But this would sure look good (assuming that Tinordi and Beaulieu would be ready for their roles):

Subban-Girardi
Tinordi-Emelin
Gorges-Beaulieu

I like Markov a lot, but if we can manage to win Girardi...lets go for it.

I wouldn't want to lose Markov, but that looks good. Girardi should play with Emelin or Tinordi though since he's RH.

Emelin-Subban
Tinordi-Girardi
Gorges-Markov
Beaulieu

That'd be cool, but like you said we might not be able to afford Markov too.

EDIT: Also it could be possible to win over Girardi, since it looks like the Rangers are taking a big nose dive.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
I don't think there will much changes to the D-Squad next year :

Under contract :

Gorges
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Drewiske

UFA :

Emelin : Re-signed
Markov : Re-signed
Diaz : Only tough choice, I don't think he's gonna get traded before the deadline and letting him go for nothing would bad asset management. But for the sake of argument, let's say he's not there next year, for whatever reason.
Murray : BYE
Bouillon : BYE

RFA :

Subban : Re-signed

So, that makes 6 (not including Drewiske) defensemen under contract that needs to see ice-time, including two rookies. With that in mind, I think there's two options :

1) Send Beaulieu or Tinordi or both in the AHL and sign some players like Girardi and Nikitin.

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Girardi
Nikitin/Beaulieu/Tinordi - Gorges

2) Sign a 1 other depth defensemen that won't play like Drewiske.

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gorges
Tinordi - Beaulieu

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I see the D looking like this in 2013

Subban-Markov
Diaz-Gorges
Bouillon-Beaulieu/Tinordi

injured: Murray, Emelin, Drewiske

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Next year, I think we should go with three vets and three full-time rookies with sufficient professional experience. Got to change out the old guard and bring in a youthful, big, balanced, fast defence. After this year of NHL/AHL experience, I'm relatively confident Tinordi will be ready for a shutdown spot in the top-4. In addition, I think we need a two-way defenceman who's either capable of playing with Subban or holding down the 2nd pairing while complimenting one of our more one-dimensional defenceman (i.e. Tinordi/Beaulieu), it's just my preference that we trade for a young one rather than sign one right now as I'm worried it will be too expensive.

Emelin-Subban
Tinordi-Gorges
Beaulieu-Nygren or Scandella/Despres

Because, in two or three years we could have a very good defence consisting of:

Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Scandella/Despres

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that we only have one Right Handed Defenseman under contract.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Really intrigued by Nygren and how well he will adapt to the North American game -- next year could be hugely telling.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Sorry i just dont see we cannot re-sign markov for at least one more year.

Anything otherwise means letting go of a lot of skill, depth and creativity on the blue line, that sadly Beaulieu can't replace not now and hopefully not never.

Subban-Markov/Tinordi
Emelin/Diaz-Diaz/Markov
Tinordi/Beaulieu/Diaz-Drewiskie/Murray/UFA

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
EDIT: Come to think of it, I would re-sign Markov for two years for about 3 million dollars, a fair deal in my opinion. Out of loyalty to him, and the reality that Beaulieu cannot yet replace Markovs productivity on the PP unit.

Subban-Girardi
Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Tinordi,Beaulieu

When Beaulieu manages to be fairly productive on the PP, I will look into trading Gorges.

Markov is worth more than 3 millions per year. So I don't think that's gonna happen...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad