Our defence is a serious problem, what's the fix?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I had forgotten how much more important +/- is than ice time or any other statistic ever invented. He's third in defenseman ice time on the team with the second best goals against in the league but what does Patrick Roy know?

I'd say it's worth mentioning, especially when you want to credit one player's ice time with the team being second in GAA...

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Trade Michalek for a top 4 dman Trade spezza for 2 secondline calibur 2way forwards....... Pllllllleeeeeeeeaaaaasssssssseeeeeee

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Trade Michalek for a top 4 dman Trade spezza for 2 secondline calibur 2way forwards....... Pllllllleeeeeeeeaaaaasssssssseeeeeee

Family-Guy-Vomit.gif

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The fix is time & patience which this fan base has little of. Ottawa has all the makings of a great defence already but their defence is young & inexperienced & are making a lot of mistakes, including Karlsson. Once they all mature & a few guys retire like Phillips & Corvo & Ceci joins the team they will be better. The first pairing in Methot & Karlsson are already a very good pair. The third pairing that PM is trying to put together in Cowen & Gryba are a formitable shut down pairing just like Phillips & Volchenkov used to be. They just need time & patience to improve & be consistent & for Cowen to take that next step.

The 2nd pairing for me is in the making with either Wiercioch & Ceci or Boroweicki & Ceci which is also young & inexperienced but with tremendous potential, if they can reach their potential sooner rather than later the team will benefit. Which ever guy doesnt make the roster will make a very good 7th defenceman which I think will be Boroweicki although he is playing the best right now, out of the bunch of them. They could trade for a defenceman but it will cost them assets that they may be sorry they lose & one of these guys could turn into the guy they need. They have the capabilities it's just a matter of time when they show it consistently.

costermonger

sans classe
Nov 4, 2007
Kitchener, Ont
This team reeeeeaaaaallly misses Gonchar. Maybe not Gonchar specifically (I don't disagree with letting him go) but some steadying veteran presence is needed back there.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Like I said,

Methot-Karlsson

Phillips-Borowiecki

There's a hole there. Cowen can play there, but he needs a veteran presence with him. That was Gonchar's role when he was here, we need to find someone else now.

angrydad

Oct 20, 2011
I know our system this year has changed, but people really underestimated Gonchar here. He was a whipping boy while he was here, but dude was second in points on our entire team, had the highest TOI above even Methot, and could move the puck. People who thought Corvo would be able to replace him were nuts. We lost a top 4 dman and replaced him with a depth dman. I get we couldn't afford him, but we created a big ass hole on our team.

spot on.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This team reeeeeaaaaallly misses Gonchar. Maybe not Gonchar specifically (I don't disagree with letting him go) but some steadying veteran presence is needed back there.

gonchar is not a great nhl hockey player anymore. I think he helped coach, relax and teach the younger dmen on the team specifically karlsson though. Alfie had the same role/influence on the younger forwards. We lost 2 coaches basically.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Like I said,

Methot-Karlsson

Phillips-Borowiecki

There's a hole there. Cowen can play there, but he needs a veteran presence with him. That was Gonchar's role when he was here, we need to find someone else now.

Your point isn't clear at all. You post two pairings and say there's a hole there. Where is the hole? What are you talking about?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
In between the two pairings is where the hole is, that's why there's a space. Meaning we're missing a legit second pairing.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Well after watching yet another disappointing period I've concluded its not our defence. Its our give a **** meter. This team clearly and obvious to a blind man doesn't give a flying **** whether we win or lose. If they did they would have their sticks down on the PK and not let 7 consecutive passes on a pp within 20 seconds. If they did then Cowen wouldn't fan on the puck every time he touches it. If they did then they wouldn't move the puck right to the blue line and not a little further. AND IF KARLSSON gave a flying **** about this team he would skate with some sort of effort rather than just going through the motions.

You want to win people?!?! simple solution GIVE A ****. Do a PK with your sticks on the ice and block some shots, don't just stand in front of the goalie and never change your style (Phillips) or hold your stick in both hands FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SPEZZA why are you doing this to me!?

I can't even begin to start on Karlsson, I don't think i've been more disappointed in a player than kARLSSON. Even if he sucked I'd still support him if he tried but the dude just doesn't even bother trying. He's right there with Cowen to me…both should be sat for a few games.

Thank god Turris plays on this team. Give him the C

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Well after watching yet another disappointing period I've concluded its not our defence. Its our give a **** meter. This team clearly and obvious to a blind man doesn't give a flying **** whether we win or lose. If they did they would have their sticks down on the PK and not let 7 consecutive passes on a pp within 20 seconds. If they did then Cowen wouldn't fan on the puck every time he touches it. If they did then they wouldn't move the puck right to the blue line and not a little further. AND IF KARLSSON gave a flying **** about this team he would skate with some sort of effort rather than just going through the motions.

You want to win people?!?! simple solution GIVE A ****. Do a PK with your sticks on the ice and block some shots, don't just stand in front of the goalie and never change your style (Phillips) or hold your stick in both hands FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SPEZZA why are you doing this to me!?

I can't even begin to start on Karlsson, I don't think i've been more disappointed in a player than kARLSSON. Even if he sucked I'd still support him if he tried but the dude just doesn't even bother trying. He's right there with Cowen to me…both should be sat for a few games.

Thank god Turris plays on this team. Give him the C

All these hyper competitive pro athletes don't care if they win or lose?

It all makes sense now.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
All these hyper competitive pro athletes don't care if they win or lose?

It all makes sense now.

so your saying the players that play for Ottawa, the guys who just finished that period, are trying their hardest to win? A fully healthy team with Spezza, Karlsson, Ryan, Turris, +++ can't clear the puck out of the zone with any sort of success and can't seem to kill a PHI pp?

Thats all I'm wondering. Do YOU think they are trying hard to win this game or not?

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
so your saying the players that play for Ottawa, the guys who just finished that period, are trying their hardest to win? A fully healthy team with Spezza, Karlsson, Ryan, Turris, +++ can't clear the puck out of the zone with any sort of success and can't seem to kill a PHI pp?

Thats all I'm wondering. Do YOU think they are trying hard to win this game or not?

Of course they're playing hard. They know they're struggling, they're over thinking things. They try to do too much, they're tentative and hesitant to commit to plays on instinct. They're afraid to leave positioning to challenge in their own zone, holding their sticks to tight, all that stuff.

These are pro athletes. They're competitive to the point that it's nearly unhealthy, that's why they're the best. That's why they've gotten to where they are. It's absurd to suggest that they don't care and they're not trying.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Of course they're playing hard. They know they're struggling, they're over thinking things. They try to do too much, they're tentative and hesitant to commit to plays on instinct. They're afraid to leave positioning to challenge in their own zone, holding their sticks to tight, all that stuff.

These are pro athletes. They're competitive to the point that it's nearly unhealthy, that's why they're the best. That's why they've gotten to where they are. It's absurd to suggest that they don't care and they're not trying.

I think your being way too naive about this. Certain players have gotten here due to a great deal of talent or hard work or both. But in no way is someone going to convince me that Spezza, Karlsson and Greening are giving it their best. If you try to convince me that they are exhibit A for me is this entire season.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think your being way too naive about this. Certain players have gotten here due to a great deal of talent or hard work or both. But in no way is someone going to convince me that Spezza, Karlsson and Greening are giving it their best. If you try to convince me that they are exhibit A for me is this entire season.

I'll use Greening as an example, you claim that he doesn't care. Yet he'll take a hit to make a play when he could just let it go and spin out of the way.

It's easy to just assume that players just don't give a **** then it is to admit that the team isn't as good as you think it should be or look deeper to see what the issues are.

Or maybe im just naive. Whatever works for ya

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I'll use Greening as an example, you claim that he doesn't care. Yet he'll take a hit to make a play when he could just let it go and spin out of the way.

It's easy to just assume that players just don't give a **** then it is to admit that the team isn't as good as you think it should be or look deeper to see what the issues are.

Or maybe im just naive. Whatever works for ya

Please let me know when Greening does "take that hit" because I haven't seen him take or make a single anything this game.

I'm not delusional at all. I know where this team stands, I know they are good enough to beat this team when they want too, when they actually want to try and give a ****.

I know its easy for you to say something smug like your last comment, and maybe its because I said you are naive, but the truth is if you actually believe this is the best Ottawa can play, specifically players like Greening, Spezza, and Karlsson I can't think of another word to describe your failure to acknowledge what I'm saying.

But maybe your content with the way this team is playing, maybe selling your tickets to leaf fans when they invade doesn't bother you, maybe this team leaving/staying isn't something your too concerned with.

I guess your too cool for it all, just not cool enough to not leave smug comments. Whatever works for ya

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Please let me know when Greening does "take that hit" because I haven't seen him take or make a single anything this game.

I'm not delusional at all. I know where this team stands, I know they are good enough to beat this team when they want too, when they actually want to try and give a ****.

I know its easy for you to say something smug like your last comment, and maybe its because I said you are naive, but the truth is if you actually believe this is the best Ottawa can play, specifically players like Greening, Spezza, and Karlsson I can't think of another word to describe your failure to acknowledge what I'm saying.

But maybe your content with the way this team is playing, maybe selling your tickets to leaf fans when they invade doesn't bother you, maybe this team leaving/staying isn't something your too concerned with.

I guess your too cool for it all, just not cool enough to not leave smug comments. Whatever works for ya

I guess you're not watching the same game i am, because greening took a hit to make a play at the Philly blueline just before I wrote that post. You also mentioned Karlsson as another player that supposedly doesn't care, but before the commercial break he worked his ass off to physically contain a much larger Lecavalier along the boards.

Im not saying that the team can't play better, i just don't agree that its from a lack of effort. I think things go deeper then that, the team is having a hard time working together and individually are making a lot of mistakes.

I understand the point you're trying to make, i just think you're wrong :)

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I guess you're not watching the same game i am, because greening took a hit to make a play at the Philly blueline just before I wrote that post. You also mentioned Karlsson as another player that supposedly doesn't care, but before the commercial break he worked his ass off to physically contain a much larger Lecavalier along the boards.

Im not saying that the team can't play better, i just don't agree that its from a lack of effort. I think things go deeper then that, the team is having a hard time working together and individually are making a lot of mistakes.

I understand the point you're trying to make, i just think you're wrong :)

Then what is the problem in your mind? Because its not coaching, its not the players because we did far more with far less last year, and I can't think of anything else other than effort.

Making sure all the little things are done, making sure you are focused on the game at hand, making sure you do your homework on the team and players you are facing. All of that is where we are lacking and scores on the give a **** meter.

PS Love the debate bud

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Well he shut me up. Well done Greening, I hate you less and will gladly concede my comments on him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Then what is the problem in your mind? Because its not coaching, its not the players because we did far more with far less last year, and I can't think of anything else other than effort.

Making sure all the little things are done, making sure you are focused on the game at hand, making sure you do your homework on the team and players you are facing. All of that is where we are lacking and scores on the give a **** meter.

PS Love the debate bud

Too be honest I don't know what the problem is. It's probably a combination of things. Some players having to play in roles to big for them due to a lack of some high end talent. Inexperienced young players struggling to find consistency. Perhaps even coaching.

Maybe expectations are just too high after a team overachieved last season.

I really don't know, if I did i'd be wearing a suit and sitting in a gm's press box somewhere :P

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
How good of a defender could we get for Cowen ++? Because right now he is this
cartmanrace.bmp

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Experience is what is really lacking, and we can either get it via trade, or by playing our young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad