Our defence is a serious problem, what's the fix?

The Fuhr*

Michalek sucks and makes 6.0 cash this season... It be nice to move his money to the Blueline... Maybe 4.0 of it... Then use the remaining at the trade deadline to upgrade the top six with a rental.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Offer Cowen and Michalek + a prospect to a team for a top 4 defenseman. That's our biggest hole right now and until it's fixed we'll continue with the less than par play.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Guy's we need to give Cowen more time. We've seen how good he can be. I don't think the main problem is with his hip, it's with his brain. It will start clicking eventually.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I agree that Cowen has been bad, but moving him at this point would be a huge mistake, imo.

Benoit not doing well? You've got to be kidding. He's averaging 20:45 minutes a game for the team with the second best goals against in the league. His team in the most improved team in the NHL and he's a big part of that. Why we only offered him a two way contract will be a mystery to me forever.

Benoit is 18th on the team (and 6th for defencemen) in +/-.

People have funny memories when it comes to him...

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I read through this thread thinking to myself the entire time how over reactive some of the fans for this organization are. It is a young team, in year three of the three year rebuild...or did we forget that?

Can we all admit that the Corvo signing was completely stupid now? This team needs a player like Hjalmarsson to compliment the younger guys.

Given how the past few seasons pieces have slowly started to be added I would suggest more patients and trust in Murray. He knew he needed to get Ryan, he did. He knows he needs another top-4 D-man. I will wager that he will find one.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Guy's we need to give Cowen more time. We've seen how good he can be. I don't think the main problem is with his hip, it's with his brain. It will start clicking eventually.

We haven't seen how good he can be. He's been injured for a huge chunk of every season since he was drafted, and he's looked mediocre to horrible in the time we have seen him.

He's not going to just click and turn into Shea Weber. He is a bad passer, skater and puckhandler, so he's never going to put up very many points. The best we could hope for is a Hal Gill/Luke Richardson type player, which isn't all that useful anymore.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Offer Cowen and Michalek + a prospect to a team for a top 4 defenseman. That's our biggest hole right now and until it's fixed we'll continue with the less than par play.

Just FYI Cowen + Michalek is an ~$8 million cap hit. No one is going to touch those two together, and especially not if they have to give up a decent D-man.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
We haven't seen how good he can be. He's been injured for a huge chunk of every season since he was drafted, and he's looked mediocre to horrible in the time we have seen him.

He's not going to just click and turn into Shea Weber. He is a bad passer, skater and puckhandler, so he's never going to put up very many points. The best we could hope for is a Hal Gill/Luke Richardson type player, which isn't all that useful anymore.

Or- you know- something else from the Grand Canyon of options between Shea Weber and Hal Gill...

The Fuhr*

Cowen has upside similar to Robyn Regehr... that be a huge piece for us

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Cowen has upside similar to Robyn Regehr... that be a huge piece for us

I'd be interested in seeing what we could get from St. Louis for someone like Jackman.

The Blues seem to have a serious D core going right now, and flipping them Cowen for Jackman might be a decent trade.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I'd be interested in seeing what we could get from St. Louis for someone like Jackman.

The Blues seem to have a serious D core going right now, and flipping them Cowen for Jackman might be a decent trade.

TeamAmericaVomit.gif

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
How would you fix this mess?

How would you fix this mess, would you make a trade? Or stay with in ?

I would send down Grant and Zibby recall Hoffman and Pageau

Would recall Wideman on D would say Ceci but he is better off staying in bingo.

Start Lehner.

And make a small trade like Gryba for a pick.

Sens have to do something.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Benoit was solid for us and he would be a big help to this current team which lacks in dependable defencemen that are also capable in transition/puck movement.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Benoit was solid for us and he would be a big help to this current team which lacks in dependable defencemen that are also capable in transition/puck movement.

Agreed. The problem with the defence isn't so much that they're all horrible, that's just Cowen and to a lesser extent, Phillips. Methot, Boro and Gryba all play the role of defensive d-men just fine.

What we're missing from the back end is players with the ability to make passes and rush the puck out of our end. Replacing Cowen and Phillips with better defensive D-men would help a bit, but not nearly as much as getting a guy who can PASS OR SKATE THE PUCK out of our own end instead of throwing up the boards to the other team's defencemen every. single. time. they touch the puck.

BigBush*

It all has to do with the players diet. Fire our husky coach and hire Eakins (after he's been fired)

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Grant and Zibby are both playing fine. I'd bench Michalek and Greening way before sending those two down.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
How would you fix this mess, would you make a trade? Or stay with in ?

I would send down Grant and Zibby recall Hoffman and Pageau

Would recall Wideman on D would say Ceci but he is better off staying in bingo.

Start Lehner.

And make a small trade like Gryba for a pick.

Sens have to do something.

Other than starting Lehner I dont see how this would make any difference. I think a larger move (Greening, Michalek, ect) would need to be made in order to shake things up. My biggest issue with the last game was the lack of urgency displayed. The rookies are all jumpy and seem to lack confidence while the veterans seem to be floating (liking those nice contracts too much). IMO this board is focusing too much on rookies, that will only get better, can the same be said for some of the veterans ?:shakehead

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Michalek sucks and makes 6.0 cash this season... It be nice to move his money to the Blueline... Maybe 4.0 of it... Then use the remaining at the trade deadline to upgrade the top six with a rental.

This is 100% spot on, in what would be a perfect scenario. It really is starting to show that when you spend $10-12 million less than most teams, you won't be as good. That's 2-3 really good players that you don't have in your line up.

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Can we all admit that the Corvo signing was completely stupid now? This team needs a player like Hjalmarsson to compliment the younger guys.

Well, teams just don't give guys like Hjalmarsson away. Remember the rumours last year about Ottawa inquiring him? They wanted Lehner.

I don't see how the Corvo signing was completely stupid. He's barely played and when he has, he hasn't hurt the team. Making $900k.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Corvo was the Benoit replacement. I don't know why they didn't just re-sign Benoit but there you go. They probably wanted more "size" or something.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
Ian White would be a good gamble.

The problem we have is not capable defensive d-man. It's the breakout. Too many times we turn the puck over, chase the puck and then get gassed which leads to goals. We need more puck movers. Too much indecision on the breakout. Too many wingers losing puck battles in the defensive zone and too many missed defensive assignments. All of this is pretty much because we get hemmed in. Ideally we want Wiercioch and Cowen to both settle down, they both dont have to be great they still have lots of time to develop but they both need to be better then they are (though i do find wiercioch is getting a bit of undue criticism).

It's time to change the breakout. We need speed on every forward line and one capable board battler as well.

Also, we need players to try harder. All players. Take off the cement blocks boys.

Seriously though small shakeup would do good whether its a small trade or just a call up.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Confidence, coaching and team game.

They are a fragile bunch right now, even the vets, even the Norris trophy winner. If you doubt yourself in this game, you are ****ed.

The sample size for evaluating the players on defence is far too big, for me personally, to think that the clock struck 12 and the chariot turns into a pumpkin.

I think everyone here at HF for Ottawa has scouted these players through watching the games. We know these guys. Are we all blind? No.

They are struggling with the mental side of the game. It is not a lack of effort. Anyone who has played any sort of competitive sport knows that self-doubt, lack of confidence can destroy all your physical gifts and leave behind a shattered, crappy hockey player.

The coach has to get the boys to believe again.

I say: don't trade anyone. They have to get their confidence back.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I agree that Cowen has been bad, but moving him at this point would be a huge mistake, imo.

Benoit is 18th on the team (and 6th for defencemen) in +/-.

People have funny memories when it comes to him...

I had forgotten how much more important +/- is than ice time or any other statistic ever invented. He's third in defenseman ice time on the team with the second best goals against in the league but what does Patrick Roy know?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->